Stereo Amp Needed?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessJosh

Reaction score
I have my ML Ethos speakers set up the way I want them but one of the men helping me suggested buying a stereo amp to help make the audio better for me. I have an Integra 802.2 processor/preamp along with a Rotel 250 watts per channel for movies and such for the home theatre. I mostly switch to stereo for music (classical, soundtracks, jazz, etc) My question is, would a stereo amp (power or integrated?) improve my sound of my music discs (CDs, SACDs, DVDs and Blue Rays) I also own an Oppo 105. I really do not want to spend more than a thousand for a stereo amp if indeed it would help my audio.

Jessjosh:bowdown:

Is the Rotel a power amp? If it is, I thought you'd have the power amp question covered.

I have been told that the rotel power amp is more for surround sound to be used for movies and that classical music sounds better with a good stereo amp. I need advice on this point.

Hi Jess,

The most important question is "are you happy" with the way things sound?

If yes, just be happy.

If not, you should determine exactly what you want out of the amp upgrade and proceed from there.

Lots of neurosis out there in the audio world.

GG

I thought Rotel makes some pretty good power amps in their price range. You should be getting good sound from your current setup. Maybe you could consider upgrading the Rotel with something like an older Classe, or maybe a newer Anthem. A good quality power amp will do justice to both music and HT.

Hi I am setting up a ML Summit set up and had an Arcam for the 5.1 channel, but am also adding a stereo amp to drive the front two. If it's the right decision, I do not know. I buy used stuff so that if I don't like it, I can sell it off. After a few months I will audition other stuff once my current set up has stabilised - I might get a dealer to bring in a Classe and see how it sounds. Since you already have the Ethos set up you might want to contact dealers to bring home a Krell, a valve amp like the Audio research, and maybe a Roksan or something, so that you cover different price points and types, and see how they sound, using them to fire the front two and Rotel for the rest.

Jess, not sure how long you have had your Ethos in your current system. If they are new to you I would give them a few months to adjust to how the entire rig sounds.

After you are very aware of how your system sounds try borrowing/demoing other amps to see how the sound changes. That's the only way you will know if an upgrade is warranted in your system.

As Gordon said if you are happy then just enjoy what you have. You are the only one that needs to like it.

Let us know how it progresses

Jess,

Rotal offers one of the best bang for dollar. The law of diminishing returns also applies in the audio world. you would have to spend considerably more than a grand to notice a real change in sound quality.

As others have indicated, appreciate your current amp and save for a really nice one that will make your Ethos sound their best.

Latest posts

Back