Steley Dan - Aja - 30th Aniversary

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered the album as well along with Joni Mitchell's Blue.

Thanks, I've read some really good write up so I certainly looking forward to it's arrival.

One should also consider Judy Collins' "Judith." Particularily, the cut "Houses." Goose bump city.

Ok. I stopped by Waterloo Records, in Austin and saw that they had the Cisco 30th anniversary Aja for sale for less than $30. Hmm, I thought, that's a couple of bucks less than what I ordered it for from Music Direct. Oh well, mine's on order and should arrive in a couple of days, I thought, so no sense in buying this one, I'm sure it's too late to cancel the order.

I just got home, checked my email and find that the album is on backorder!...and they said I could cancel the order if I wanted too. Double whammy! Ha ha, sometimes you just gotta laugh!

I received Aja in the mail today. Excellent sound quality! I've never really liked the song, Peg, as it has always sounded a too harsh and annoying whenever the name (Peg) was sung. Now it is extremely listenable, due to this release. Just to make sure I wasn't imagining the improvement, I played two other CD sources of that song, back to back to back, as it were. One was the MCA Records CD release of Aja and the other was the same song from the "remastered from the original first generation masters" MCA release, A Decade of Steely Dan. In neither CD copy was the the song as enjoyable to my ears. YOMV, but I think this vinyl edition rules.

I received Aja in the mail today. Excellent sound quality! I've never really liked the song, Peg, as it has always sounded a too harsh and annoying whenever the name (Peg) was sung. Now it is extremely listenable, due to this release. Just to make sure I wasn't imagining the improvement, I played two other CD sources of that song, back to back to back, as it were. One was the MCA Records CD release of Aja and the other was the same song from the "remastered from the original first generation masters" MCA release, A Decade of Steely Dan. In neither CD copy was the the song as enjoyable to my ears. YOMV, but I think this vinyl edition rules.

I ordered it from the same source and got the back ordered e-mail too. Did you ever get an e-mail saying they shipped it before it arrived. I still haven't gotten mine and just wondering if it's just going to show up one day or will I get some notice first.

I got my copy from Acoustic Sound last week. They have it in stock for immediate shipment. I do not have a TT so my plan is to frame it and hang it in the Man Cave. I have had for a few years now a MFSL gold CD of Aja that I love. I play this CD often.

"Old vs. New"

Well after several playings of both the original (ABC) and the Newly re-released (Cisco) I still feel that my initial reaction is unchanged. The original pressing has more 'mid-range magic'. I would love to see some kind of frq/db scope of both releases for I do believe the dynamics have improved at the freq extremes on the new release.

FWIW, I still feel the percussion is a little to forward. Also, while on percussion, on the title song 'Aja' when drummer Steve Gadd is attacking the rack toms, the Cisco version seems to be a bit more accurate, not quite as 'thick' sounding as the ABC.

Regardless, they are both very, very good pressings and the original ABC is just as quiet with respect to background presence as the new version !!

Attachments

• IMG_7774.JPG
    IMG_7774.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7775.JPG
    IMG_7775.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 80
I ordered it from the same source and got the back ordered e-mail too. Did you ever get an e-mail saying they shipped it before it arrived. I still haven't gotten mine and just wondering if it's just going to show up one day or will I get some notice first.

No. It just showed up. Earlier than I expected. By the way, I've got other vinyl ordered and it is also on backorder. One came in the other day, Deja vu (C,S,N&Y). Still no word on Tres Hombres (ZZTop). A comment on Deja vu...the packaging is exactly like the original, as far as I can tell. Even the picture on front is slightly askew, as on my original version!

Last edited:
No. It just showed up. Earlier than I expected. By the way, I've got other vinyl ordered and it is also on backorder. One came in the other day, Deja vu (C,S,N&Y). Still no word on Tres Hombres (ZZTop). A comment on Deja vu...the packaging is exactly like the original, as far as I can tell. Even the picture on front is slightly askew, as on my original version!

Thanks!! My wife just called me and said it's HERE!! Now I've got something to look forward when I get home.

Interesting....

Well after several playings of both the original (ABC) and the Newly re-released (Cisco) I still feel that my initial reaction is unchanged. The original pressing has more 'mid-range magic'. I would love to see some kind of frq/db scope of both releases for I do believe the dynamics have improved at the freq extremes on the new release.

FWIW, I still feel the percussion is a little to forward. Also, while on percussion, on the title song 'Aja' when drummer Steve Gadd is attacking the rack toms, the Cisco version seems to be a bit more accurate, not quite as 'thick' sounding as the ABC.

Regardless, they are both very, very good pressings and the original ABC is just as quiet with respect to background presence as the new version !!

Dave,
Thanks for the post! I have two pristine original ABC gatefolds, so I think I'm good with that. You saved me some money :D

It is still good to hear that the re-issue is not a total botch job. There have been some and they are a complete waste of money.
Since I'm not a collector, I have had countless MFSL's, Nautilus, Cisco, German WB's, etc. that I bought, listened to, and immediately Ebay'd. :eek:

Cheers,
Ray

Anyone buy the Japanese 200 gram LP pressing of Aja? Is it worth picking up?

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/79157

Cherian,
I heard the new japanese pressing was cancelled, but have not got this firmly confirmed.

You guys got me drooling, my new Aja copy is at the postoffice waiting, will pick up tomorrow. I will compare to my (old) Japanese pressing and put in a report. The CD versions I have of Steely Dan works really sucks, but I love the sound on vinyl!

And for all Steely Dan fans hungry for exiting versions of their work I will also recommend the HR Big Band recording "Do It Again" tribute album. Superb playing, arranging and natural sound. I should post a review in the recommended recordings section....

http://www.hr-online.de/website/rubriken/kultur/index.jsp?rubrik=2083&key=standard_document_3385372

All the Best
Svein

Last edited:
Yes I talked to Music Direct and it looks like the Japanese Import of Aja is not going to happen.

Back