Sounding a bit thin

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faxcomp

Reaction score
Hi Everybody
I have joined this site as a very long time Martin Logan lover and I have owned a pair of CLS's for about twenty years not (give or take).

The trouble is my stereo was stolen over 14 years ago (speakers were too large to take), and they have just been sitting doing nothing for all that time.

I was so excited last week when I finally purchased a Carver Signature Series stereo amp (no output problems with that amp) and a beautiful Shanling T-100 CD Player. (probably the best looking CD Player in existance).

After spending a day hooking everything up just right, I sat down to finally hear audio in the way only the Martin Logan CLS speaker can do.

The only trouble was is that it sounded like the music was there, but with no body and fullness.

I have read some fix tips on the net, but then came across this site and new that if anyone can help, it's you guys.

What can you suggest.

Thanks in advance.
Andrew

faxcomp First of all Welcome to the site! Secondly as almost everyone on this site will tell you it sounds like it's time for you to unplug your speakers overnight and give them a good vacuuming front and back. Dust and pet dander and especially smoke are panel speakers enemy! Good Luck D.R.

As Duane said, Vacume and dusting may be the ticket. However FATHER TIME may have caught up with them too. If vacuuming and a thorough dusting does not do it , as a final attempt to bring life back you could take the panels off and wash them. It has helped a few. What happens over time is the Mylar can stretch and sag. It will collect dust and debris . Even covered the humidity changes play havoc with them. Good luck ! If you cant get them to work Martin Logan does sell new panels. Its not the cheapest to get out of the USA but they can be had.

I'd get in touch with Martin Logan directly, but my guess is you're going to need new panels, and that they will set you back a bit. Vacuuming definitely won't hurt, though, so try that too. Sorry for the bad news.

I agree w/ Feltran. E-mail Jim Power at MartinLogan right away and explain the problem. He will know what questions to ask in order to make a diagnosis (for now assume nothing.)

I am curious what you're going to say when he asks you why they "have just been sitting doing nothing" for fourteen years!

Thanks guys for such a speedy response.

I will give it a go today and post the results.

And yes nsgarch, it was a very tough fourteen years.

Hi Guys
Well I vacuumed the speakers to within an inch of there lives, as well as doing other tips that were suggested. One of the speakers has now seemed to be louder and more responsive than it was and all sections of the speaker seems to produce sound.

The other speaker (left one) actually went noticebly louder, and then started to die off to the point at which you could barely here it.

I turned it one again today and it was definately louder than it was yesterday, but nowhere near as load as the right speaker.

I am hoping that over the next couple of days, it will return back to normal.

I have to say, it will be hard to go from the pristine sounds of the Martin Logans to another speaker. Martin Logans are hard to come buy in Australia, especially the CLS.

If worse comes to worse, I might just import new panels.

Lets wait and see.

I'll keep you posted (parden the pun)

I think Mr Power will just refer you to an Australian ML dealer... so you won't need to import, but you will end up paying the costs indirectly + I assume a bit more for the dealer margin.

Please let me know if he does agree to send you some replacements directly, so that next time I need a panel change I can do the same!

Latest posts

Back