Should I get new panels now or wait?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter_Klim

Reaction score
I have a set of ReQuest that I purchased used in 2004. I think they were made in 98?? Serial No.s are RSKB014 &15.

I've been away from this board for a while but read a post a few days ago about Jim Powers (is that his name) in customer support no longer being with ML and something about ML soon won't be making panels for the older models. I really, REALLY LOVE the ReQuest so I thought I should buy some panels and store them until they need to be replaced...or maybe even use them now and store the old ones as back up.

I like the mellow sound of the ReQuests. In my other system, I replaced the panels in the Sequel II last year. The SQL2 sound bright now, in comparison to the RQ (I know the panels aren't the only factor contributing to it).

I easily have the money to buy the panels now, but letely I have spending more money than I have in the last 10 yeasrs of my life (2 new cars, rims/tires, tv, turntable, more stereo/video stuff,...) so I just want to slow down a bit because I'm still saving a for a house.

Long story short, how long do I have before ML no longer makes them? When I replaced the SQL2 panels, Jim told me to just buy the RQ panels when i really have too, but that was last year.

If you buy them and store them, they will start to 'expire.' (Plus the warranty will possibly run out before you discover any eventual problems.) Better to buy them when you're ready to install them?

Don't worry. Replacement panels will be continued to be made. There was a little scare here quite a while back when an ML representitive said replacement panels would possibly wouldn't be made any longer for some older models.

There was such a backlash on this site that they retracted that statment for the time being and said they would give sufficient notice if and when any changes were to be made.

Unfortunately, Jim Powers is no longer there, but there have been many positive reports of the new customer service people.

Cheers, Greg

Don't worry. Replacement panels will be continued to be made. There was a little scare here quite a while back when an ML representitive said replacement panels would possibly wouldn't be made any longer for some older models.

There was such a backlash on this site that they retracted that statment for the time being and said they would give sufficient notice if and when any changes were to be made.

Unfortunately, Jim Powers is no longer there, but there have been many positive reports of the new customer service people.

Cheers, Greg

That''s good to know. Thanks!

If you buy them and store them, they will start to 'expire.' (Plus the warranty will possibly run out before you discover any eventual problems.) Better to buy them when you're ready to install them?

This is somewhat misleading. If the panels are left in their original packing and stored in a dry, cool, environment how much degredation are we talking about?

Of course, I would only 'pre purchase' replacement panels if there was an official announcement that the panels were no longer going to be replaced. I kind of like the idea that if I have a set of panels in house A) I just added added at least another 10 years to the life of the speaker B) should I want to sell them, I can state the MLs come with new panels

Erik

Cheers, Greg
Greg, the "new" customer service people there have been there a while. I dealt with Melodie many years ago, and found her very knowledgeable and helpful.

Greg, the "new" customer service people there have been there a while. I dealt with Melodie many years ago, and found her very knowledgeable and helpful.

Yes, I think everyone that has posted about an experience with Melodie has been impressed with her competence. As difficult as it is to see JP go, it is also nice to know he left a well-trained acolyte behind in Melodie. Now, if only the "new" ML can hold on to her . . .

This is somewhat misleading. If the panels are left in their original packing and stored in a dry, cool, environment how much degredation are we talking about?
I don't think it's in dispute that plastics (the film and stators) and adhesives (and secret film coating?) 'break down' from exposure to oxygen. Plus, a stretched plastic film cannot hold its tension forever....

Back