RMAF 2007 Day 3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tim, again great coverage ! you know once your done with the updates I would love if you would share with us your top three or five choices of the show. It's understood that 'show conditions' don't always produce the best sound, but given your "Veteran" status with this show and whose judgement I trust and value, I think it would be neat to see your 'pecking' order !!

Thanks for the complement Dave. I do intend to do a sort of "Wrap Up" once I have everything posted. I still have about 15 systems, including some very good ones, to post. Once I get it all together I thought I'd take Gordon's suggestion and post my Top 10 favorite rooms, Best Sound of Show, biggest dissappointment etc.

It may take me until the end of the week or so. We're launching an $8M product in about 30 days, I'm in L.A. at the end of the week and at our Corporate Headquarters in Houston next week, som I'm a bit thinly spread right now, But I WILL get to it eventually!

MiTT:

Nice job on reporting the show. Next year I would be more than happy to help with the photographic portion. I have a nice 10-21mm lens that would cover some of the larger displays nicely. Keep me in mind.

More RMAF

I happend across this on the PS Audio website. Paul McGowan made a short video at RMAF. It's somewhere around 4 or 5 minutes.

There's a bit of the Fry Street Quartet at the start.

In the middle of it he goes into the Ray Kimber/SoundLabs/Pass Labs ($500,000) room and talks to Jeff Rowland and Kimber. There's not a ton to it, but at least you get to see a bit of the room and equipment.

http://video.psaudio.com/videos/rmaf.php

Last edited:
Mr. McGowan is a very cool guy to talk to and really seems to know his stuff.

I really must finish posting the last of my photo's and impressions of the show in this thread. Unfortunately I'm in Houston for the next couple of days, so maybe over the weekend...

Tim,
While we're on the subject of Paul McGowan and PS Audio, would you comment on the new PS Audio Lambda Memory Player which made a debut at RMAF. In the newsletter, he mentioned this Lambda MP unit to be the perfect companion to the Digital Link III DAC! Thanks in advance.

Spike

Attachments

• ps audio lamda mp.jpg
    ps audio lamda mp.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 147
They were an older model called the Eros...

Rogers very own Eros MK III's, to be exact. They were converted from MK II's to MK III's with the addition of the Ultrastat panel. The stators of the MK III panels were coated with a composite material making them arc proof. They had that French window look, with long slots over the Mylar instead of small holes. The Ultrastat panels measured 2dB more efficient than the MK II panels. The other change with the MK III's was the stator like metal over the the woofer was replaced with grill cloth.

I have one of Sanders MK III amps and it does a stellar job on ESL's and dynamic speakers.

Tim,
While we're on the subject of Paul McGowan and PS Audio, would you comment on the new PS Audio Lambda Memory Player which made a debut at RMAF. In the newsletter, he mentioned this Lambda MP unit to be the perfect companion to the Digital Link III DAC! Thanks in advance.

Spike

Tim,

If you heared this, how does it compare to Nova Physic's Memory Player? The Lambda MP has a nice price point. Nova Physic's MP costs $6k as a transport and $15k with the 32 bit DAC and tube output stage.

Tim,

If you heared this, how does it compare to Nova Physic's Memory Player? The Lambda MP has a nice price point. Nova Physic's MP costs $6k as a transport and $15k with the 32 bit DAC and tube output stage.

Impossible to say how they might compare - the PS Audio transport was only on static display, not functional.

I don't think they are comparable at all however. The PS Audio unit is really more of a traditional Transport for RedBook CD with a propritary link between it and the PS Audio DAC that is said to all but eliminate jitter errors and it will cost between $1-$2K (closer to $1K according to Paul McGowan when I spoke with him). I do understand that it will have an internal RAM buffer, but it will still function more like a regular CD player - one disk at a time.

The Memory Player is a completely different beast - transport for conventional playback, hard disk based music server and (most importantly) a very sophisticated high resolution RAM buffer that plays back digital music with absolutely no moving parts. It's also a BIT pricier as I recall - a little over $20K!

Attachments

• PS1.jpg
    PS1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 101
  • MemoryPlayer.jpg
    MemoryPlayer.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Back