Replacement for Script i coming this fall

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squasher100

Reaction score
The ML rep mentioned at the CA audio show that there is a new version of the Script i surround speakers coming this fall which will have a panel similar to the Summit X! Can't wait!!!

It would be so cool if martin logan had a really wide 11 inch panel like the spire and summit

Script i replacement

The ML rep mentioned at the CA audio show that there is a new version of the Script i surround speakers coming this fall which will have a panel similar to the Summit X! Can't wait!!!

Has anyone actually heard directly from M-L about this? I have had Script-i's for my surround system and thought that they were pretty darn good matches for the Summits and now the CLX's. If they are going to a larger ESL that might be even better.

This came from the ML rep at the California Audio show. I also have the script i and the rep mentioned that the new speakers will have the same panel as the Summit X. What I don't know if whether the panel width will be the same. Maybe the ML person on our forum can confirm this?

Ok, if i must. I was at THE SHOW in LA so was the leaky valve you heard.
Yes, the EM EFX will be out next month. It is essenitailly a modern Script. For a visual on its look, think Purity panel with the lenght being the lenght of the extrusions. It does not have the Summit/Spire panel although it is obviously using the most recent construction techniques on them. I believe it can sit a little closer to the wall than the script but has the swivel bracket. Price is not quite on the retail sheets yet, but expect $3K ish. We showed a mockup at CES, just leaning against a wall in the back, but it probably drew more interest from the dealers than everything else, excluding the EM ESL.

3K each or for a pair?

Ok, if i must. I was at THE SHOW in LA so was the leaky valve you heard.
Price is not quite on the retail sheets yet, but expect $3K ish. We showed a mockup at CES, just leaning against a wall in the back, but it probably drew more interest from the dealers than everything else, excluding the EM ESL.

Dumb question . . . . are we saying $3K each or for a pair?

I have Summits upstairs, but want to put a 5.1 or 6.1 in the basement for now, with the goal of someday having ONE system for music and surround. Could I get away with using a sub and a pair of "new" scripts as front speakers in the basement or is that not going to work?

This is very interesting indeed, I've been holding off trying to find 4 uses Script i to use as rears and was instead waiting for something to replace them and now it seems like my very non-religious prayers have been heard :)
Please let us know Peter when there are photos and more info available, dying to find out more!

$3K ish a pair. retail not quite set yet.
Details will hit the site once it is ready to ship so no specifics can be sent at this moment. Your patience will be rewarded shortly, as soon as can be just not sooner. Justin is very busy on website work/improvements as well as new product updates so give him a chance. Generally, it is a logical upgrade/update to the Script as that was a very good package size. For bass response as a front, plan on a sub or two. I heard them blended with a 700 at Kansas recently and it reminded me of what a good idea a Script is as a front system. Since they are against the wall, image depth can't be like a freestander, but given that they are designed for the wall, a beautiful, coherent, large image was nicely produced. So different sounding then the typical on wall solutions out there.

Peter,

Thank you for your response. I need some speakers now for the basement to keep my 16 year old daughter happy and I figure if I purchased the new Scripts now for fronts, I can use them later down the road as surround speakers. This would also be a great excuse to buy a sub too!
I used to have a Vantage/Descent-i combo but I traded it back for the Summits because I could not get it to blend in good enough. I do not regret that move, but at times I do miss the extra kick and seemingly wider stage that the descent-i added to the music.

I can't wait to see/hear the new Scripts!

Joe M.

EM(Electromotion) EFX will be the name and we are looking to get them into shops by end of the month. They will be shown, playing, at CEDIA at the beginning of September. I like them since it shows how far we have come as a manufacturer. From a distance, they look very much like a script, but the details on construction are much better, cleaner. The old script are a bit crude.

Lmao 3k for a pair ? I just cant understand the significant price performance leap forward you guys took with the electromotion and then this ?

The panel is only 8.6 wide like the electromotion and 28 inch like the source so why the hike in price by 50% ? You just remade the scrips with the new frame on the panel and said lets rip the lining outa the guys pockets that paid for the electromotion . If anything these should have been priced at $1500 a pair to follow the footsteps of the electromotion series thats supposed to be value orientated .

Sorry if I come across as harsh but I was waiting for these for a long time and thought they were going to compliment the electromotion series but instead its going to be the most expensive addition ?

Perhaps you can help us Peter by explaining why these cost $1000 more than the electromotion ? If we buy this speaker what does the extra $1000 give us back in performance ?

Last edited:
Hello,
I would save 1000 Dollars and use EM-ESL's for Mains and Surrounds. I have done something similar using Vantages for Mains and Vistas for Surrounds and the results have been fantastic. I understand that some will not like the idea of them not being On Wall, but to both save 1000 Dollars and have matching Mains and Surrounds is not a bad alternative.
Cheers,
JJ

ok, enough more questions on the EFX so I can get back in.
As to Horizontal, remember that lateral dispersion will now be controlled by the lenght of the panel so it will be a pretty narrow sweet spot. A Motif would be a better choice.
As to cost, there is a lot of specialized construction and engineering time for a product that will quite frankly, not sell in huge numbers. It is not as simple as tearing off a source panel, finding old script boxes. Also, more expensive brackets instead of feet add again. Combine low sell numbers, higher labor costs (box has more joints than an em esl for example), brackets and here it is. When we last built a script (2005) we only sold about a dozen in that last year and at its old retail, we ended up losing money on each pair. Now with more panels, PJs out there, we should see better numbers, but no where near the EM ESL, which if you can fit it, would be a fine choice for a surround. you may also look to the EM FX2 as a good solution.

Peter if you guys could only find a way to manufacture this speaker cheaper and sell it for say $1500 or less then you would have another sure fire hit . Thats a shocking number regarding the old script from 2005

The old Script was $2200 and was needing to go to $2500 in 2007, but was killed based on poor sales volume. I am not sure that should be an example. Now, jump ahead some years, build a better one with metal extrusions, not plastic trim, better finish, updated sound quality and you can see we are where we are. Again, this is a specific solution product and will not sell in the numbers that can help lower cost. We fought to bring it back even though it still does not represent a good business model simply because we think it is cool and will help situations. We certainly have other solutions that we have worked on so now provide more choices for budget and size issues. We will see how it goes, although there is good buzz amongst my dealers on it.

Yes, it is expensive. But thanks for resurrecting Script again. IMHO, the price is worth the quality and style. Hopefully, you wont discontinue this one anytime soon.

Back