Power Conditioners, Voltage Stabilizers, etc.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2 cents:

Most solid-state power systems today utilize what is known as switch mode power supplies. These power supplies are not bothered by voltage swings. These power supplies can go as low as 85 VAC and as high as 267 VAC without any issues. As long as the switch mode power supply (SMPS) can get the current it needs it will deliver power regardless of voltage. This is the pro to SMPS. The con is as follows. The SMPS switches at a very high speeds this switching dose not allow for much filtering on the output of the SMPS so any high frequency noise or surge will travel through the SMPS and into the system. Using a good power filter before the SMPS is a wonderful idea. I would recommend a VERY LOW IMPEDANCE isolation transformer based power conditioner that offers a good L-C (inductance / capacitive filter on the secondary of the transformer). Low impedance is critical because the power conditioner must be able to deliver peak current to the load when it needs it.

Now Tube amps and such use a linear power supply here voltage regulation is critical I would say anything below 10% of nominal is bad news. For this I would say get a good On-line UPS (Uninterruptible power supply) and size it bigger that what you need. A 1440 or 2 kVA unit would be ideal. Please note these are not cheap but you will get dead on voltage regulation.

Again, thank for the feedback. The P500 on eBay is now up to $900. I will start watching these things and saving my money. I guess we know what my next expense is going to be. :)

MarkNewbie said:
Again, thank for the feedback. The P500 on eBay is now up to $900. I will start watching these things and saving my money. I guess we know what my next expense is going to be. :)

if handy, you might want to consider building your own...

here is a great article on how to do that. the article also contains links to discussion boards on the topic.

zaphod said:
if handy, you might want to consider building your own...

here is a great article on how to do that. the article also contains links to discussion boards on the topic.

I have turned my share of wrenches in my life and can install a ceiling fan with ease but building one of these? I wouldn't know where to start. Oh and I did read the article and still don't know where to start...LOL Maybe I am not that kind of handy?

Last edited:
MarkNewbie said:

Does the P500 have enough ports to accommodate your whole system?

It has 4 regenerated ports and two conditioned ports, six outlets total. The P500 can do 300watts RMS max and up to about 500watts short duration power output.

The P1000 has 8 regenerated outlets and two conditioned for a total of 10 outlets. It can do around 700-800 RMS and up to 1000watts sort duration.

I have been thinking about trying an Audiophile APS but it only has 6 outlets. And that will only do about half my system. One option for me is to use a P500 for my front-end gear and an Audiophile APS to drive my amp. I like the Idea of using the APS on my amps because it is more efficient and not as current limiting like the PS audio units. The Power Plants do have there advantage with Multiwave.

Equitech

I have decided to go with Equitech as a my Power Conditiner. Brian at Zotzdigital was very helpful in discussing my system and the particular unit that would best serve my needs at a reasonable price.

I will post a follow up once I have had a chance to use the Equitech Son of Q for a while.

The thing that impressed me the most in my research of Equitech was the lack of negative response to their products. Most other products were either too expensive or elicited rather polarized response from owners.

Thanks again for your suggestions and feedback.

Mike

Do a test try for free

http://www.richardgrayspowercompany.com/products/index.html
You may want to also consider richard gray equipment. It is a high end product like the PS audio products, not monster and not APS. Considering that you may upgrade in the future and will need more power to satisfy the sudden demands required by the equipment, consider spending your money where you can daisy chain and get additional power without introducing ground loop feedback and other types of line noise. You will also notice that these companies let you do a test drive for free. I own both on both my systems. I can't tell the difference because I also use other types of electrical controls as well. Electrical control to your system is not just one piece of equipment. You can't a devoted line because you are in apartment. But you can chose good power cords, limit line crosstalk introduced fromyour other equipment and make power available upon demand. As you increase the quality of what you hear, these factors become more important.

Since a year ago, I'm using an incredible unit, the ExactPower EP15A, that regulates power line variation from 90 to 140 volts input, and give you an steady 120 VRMS at steady 60 HZ output at almost 15 Amps. !
This unit includes great protection from spikes in your line, and DO NOT DESTROY the real flavor of the music.
Before this one, I had a Monster AVS2000, that makes a lot of noise, and has no protection for spikes.
I use also a BPT 3.5 balanced power unit, feeded by the ExactPower.
The BPT is very, very good for all the music gear, but you can't use it to feed the ML panels, as stated by the Blue Circle owner. Instead, I feed the ML's with the ExactPower directly with two BC86 Mark III from Blue Circle plugged to the ExactPower.
Yes, I know it is an expensive setup, that's why I didn't buy everything together, the first unit was the EP 15A. But the reproduced music right now is like to buy a new, better and expensive system than that I have, for less money !

http://www.exactpower.com/ep15a.html

Carpe Diem

So, are my questions on all this:

I have my computer equipment hooked up to an APS 1500 UPS. It's great that when my power shut on and off 6 times in 5 seconds the other night (!), my computer was fine. The battery in the UPS took over, lightning fast (so to speak).
This was not a cheap UPS ( http://www.apcc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA1500RMI2U )

Would any of the aforementioned power conditioners (i'm interested in the PS Power Plants) be able to handle such a situation?

Why would i not want to hook up my audio equipment to such a UPS?

Would i gain any benefit hooking up my HTPC to a PS Power Plant?

If the Power Plants would not save my system in such a situation would i be advised to hook up the Power Plant to the UPS?

Bearcat,
For specific answers to the PS Audio questions, I would post either on the AudioAsylum PS Audio Power Forum or on the PS Audio's own Forum in their customer service page.

Paul McGowan (owner) will personally answer specific questions about his equiment and recommend a set up for your needs.

Hope this helps.

Back