Oh no, yet another amplifier question from Charliemike! :)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliemike

Reaction score
Anyone know anothing about NAD? There's a NAD C 272 on the 'gon for $550. It's 2x410 at 4ohms. It has four speaker posts for bi-wiring.

Here are specs:

Power Amp
Continuous average power output into 8ohms 2 x 150W (21.76dBW)
Rated distortion (THD 20Hz-20kHz) 0.02%
Clipping power (max cont. power/channel) 180W (22.55dBW)
IHF dynamic headroom at 8ohms 2.3 dB
IHF dynamic power 8 ohms 230W (23.42dBW)
4 ohms 410W (25.31dBW)
2 ohms 520W (26.62dBW)
Damping factor >170
Frequency response 20Hz-20kHz ±0.3dB
3Hz/70kHz -3dB
Input impedance R and C 20kΩ / 470pF
Input sensitivity (for rated output into 8 ohms) 1.3V
Voltage gain 29dB
Signal to noise ratio, A-weighted ref. 1W >100dB
ref. rated power >120dB

Sooooo, this is definitely something that would work well for me given my fiscal means right now. The question is weather or not it's really any good.

The reviews say it is best matched with the C162 stereo pre-amp but I still need something to power other speakers for HT. I'm wondering if another NAD HT pre-amp would match as well ... The T163 comes to mind specifically.

Thanks all :)

A friend is using it on his Vienna Acoustics "Beethoven" speakers and it sounds fine, I can't say with respect to M/L though. At least you wouldn't be out alot of $$. As a general rule NAD is considered pretty decent for the $$ spent and they have always had some pretty impressive headroom specs !!

A friend is using it on his Vienna Acoustics "Beethoven" speakers and it sounds fine, I can't say with respect to M/L though. At least you wouldn't be out alot of $$. As a general rule NAD is considered pretty decent for the $$ spent and they have always had some pretty impressive headroom specs !!

That's always the challenge ... For $1200 I can get a NAD T-163 pre-pro and a C272 2-ch amplifier ... But I'd have to use a phantom center until I can get another amp ... and what happens when I buy another monoblock that's not a NAD? Will it sound okay? Will Lassie find Timmy in the well? :haha1:

CM is so unable to make a decision! I hate that about him :)

CM,
I do not think you will have a problem with different amps. I would think as long as they have similar specs and not necessarily the same power. This all depends on what they are driving and the "load" they present to the amp. I have three different amps and hear no difference when running all of them. I think it may be more of a balance issue between all the speakers and/or how well they blend or play well together. :rolleyes:

Just a thought

Jeff:cool:

CM,
I do not think you will have a problem with different amps. I would think as long as they have similar specs and not necessarily the same power. This all depends on what they are driving and the "load" they present to the amp. I have three different amps and hear no difference when running all of them. I think it may be more of a balance issue between all the speakers and/or how well they blend or play well together. :rolleyes:

Just a thought

Thanks Jeff. By specs I would assume you mean things like Freq response and such?

CM,
Yes but also power as it relates to current as well as actual watts. My three amps are rated at 120, 250, and 300 watts. The 120 runs the center, the 300 runs the rears and the 250 runs the fronts.

I'll respond here instead of to the PM, if that's alright.

That amp will do you fine...but why spend double for that when you can get a Crown XLS402B (you'll have to mod or disable the fan, or else deal with fan noise) for around $300...then have $200 to spend on something else (such as a center speaker, or a better preamp, etc.)

I'd get the minimum that you really need right now, so that you have more to spend on the upgrades you really want. If you think you'd be happy with the NAD long term, and won't feel the need to upgrade...go for it. Otherwise, I'd start smaller and think bigger.

If you don't feel comfortable with the pro-amp route (it only has balanced inputs, so you'd need to get a cleanbox or a couple of XLR/RCA adapters($7/per) than I think the NAD would work very well. It would certainly drive the speakers just fine, I would imagine.

I'll respond here instead of to the PM, if that's alright.

That amp will do you fine...but why spend double for that when you can get a Crown XLS402B (you'll have to mod or disable the fan, or else deal with fan noise) for around $300...then have $200 to spend on something else (such as a center speaker, or a better preamp, etc.)

I'd get the minimum that you really need right now, so that you have more to spend on the upgrades you really want. If you think you'd be happy with the NAD long term, and won't feel the need to upgrade...go for it. Otherwise, I'd start smaller and think bigger.

If you don't feel comfortable with the pro-amp route (it only has balanced inputs, so you'd need to get a cleanbox or a couple of XLR/RCA adapters($7/per) than I think the NAD would work very well. It would certainly drive the speakers just fine, I would imagine.

Thanks for answering here :)

I was thinking about the Crown as I went through everything and I don't think that I'll progress beyond the SL3s for quite a while as I have an extra set of panels that are in a box waiting to be used.

I thought that the NAD-esque component solution would be a good one to consider and be able to sit and say, "Okay, I have what I need and I can sit back and enjoy this."

I'm still considering your suggestion of the tube pro-amp for the panels in the future and just using the C-272 to drive the cones.

Once I move to a bigger space, like a house, things may change but right now, I think I'm okay going this route provided that I've made a good choice to begin with.

Thanks for your help with this, I really appreciate everyone's feedback. The more great advice I get the more difficult it is to make a decision :) Which isn't a bad thing because I learn so much more as I try to figure out what I'm trying to accomplish.

It'd be just a tube amp for the panels...and then whatever pre you decided on. Not too many tube pro-amps that I know of. I was offering a lower end (pro-amp) and a higher end (tube, non-pro) suggestion...just for clarification!

If you think you'll be happy with the NAD for a while, or that this is a decent price for a "starter" system, then go for it...and then bi-amping them would be a nice upgrade path. It is the most important thing to just get them up and running!!! Even if they sound just "great" instead of "amazing"...you still are way ahead of the game! Good luck with the purchase!

It'd be just a tube amp for the panels...and then whatever pre you decided on. Not too many tube pro-amps that I know of. I was offering a lower end (pro-amp) and a higher end (tube, non-pro) suggestion...just for clarification!

If you think you'll be happy with the NAD for a while, or that this is a decent price for a "starter" system, then go for it...and then bi-amping them would be a nice upgrade path. It is the most important thing to just get them up and running!!! Even if they sound just "great" instead of "amazing"...you still are way ahead of the game! Good luck with the purchase!

Thanks man! I'm still trying to find out if the NAD does any kind of phantoming by indicating there's no center channel. Haven't heard back from them. If it doesn't then they are out.

I was confused by all the daggone components we've been talking about. I meant the modestly priced tube amps you showed me.

Thanks all!

no worries, just wanted to make sure I was being clear! I'm sure I typed pre instead of pro- a few places back there!

Back