New Member...and already a dilemma :)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49504

Reaction score
Hello from the Pacific Northwest! I have owned a pair of EM-ESLs since 2013. We moved house a couple weeks back and now that the media room is coming together I finally got them hooked back up and one of them only has woofer response, no panel. I start looking a little closer and the panel just slides up and off leaving 3 wires dangling. They look like there were just ripped from the panel as there isn't much left of them from the panel side. Clearly the movers had an oops and neglected to mention it :( I have opened a ticket with ML but I know it is out of warranty so don't expect much. Thoughts on if this should be an easy fix, new panel, or start looking for a replacement ESL?
Another element is that I have a Sanders Magtech Amp arriving in a few days (30 day trial) as I am moving from a Marantz AV to separates and all indications are that amp will do the job for life. If repair/replacement on the ESL is several hundred dollars I would consider upgrading. I found a local offer for two used SL3 & two Aerius i for $1,750. I know they are ~20 years old but believe the SL3 would be a significant upgrade to the ESL? (don't quite know what I would do with the Aerius and would probably just try to resell). Open to any and all thoughts/feedback on my situation and look forward to spending more time here!

Last edited:
Well, ML support just replied and after sending them pictures apparently this panel can't be repaired so I would need a new panel ($700). I have ML center 8i & Dynamo 700 in a 13x16 room. Thoughts on a good replacement pair as I don't feel that spending over half the purchase price is worth it to tread water with 8 year old speakers? Again, looking to pair with the Magtech Amp. Thanks!

First off , welcome aboard ! second, what's your budget ? new or used ? 13x16 is not a big room to energize so that can work in you favor $$ wise

Thanks Dave! Well the amp I am auditioning is $5,500...that was my budget :) This unfortunate speaker damage is above and beyond so let's say I would like to keep the the cost under $3k (after selling the now extra, good, EM-ESL). Oh, I didn't mention but ceilings are 10'.

Well, I'll be honest, given a combined budget of $8500 (amp / speakers) I'd be spending more on my speakers than the amp ! I say reverse you budget, if you can stretch it, think about the ESL-9's. Touch base with Shawn (DaVinchi audio) a sponsor of this forum, good guy(I bought my Spire's from him) and I'm sure he will work with you on pricing. keep us posted !

PNW sometimes have really great deal on used ML, not too long ago I saw pair of Ethos for around 2200 on Facebook market. Legacy models are good, but regardless of how well maintained, it's due for new panel. SL3 panel will be close to EM ESL panel price if I'm not mistaking. Also talk to Magnolia A/V see if they have an open box or customer return, make them an offer and you just never know. As twic54 suggested, Shawn is a great guy, give him a call see what he can do for you.

That amp has been on my wish list for a long time and I know it would have been overkill for those lower end speakers. But it comes with a lifetime warranty and I liked the idea of having the amplification variable pinned down for life and not having to worry about it as I upgraded everything else. ESL & Maggie owners seem to really love Roger's amps but I will likely just return it unopened now that I don't have such challenging speakers to power.
But you are right, I will have to reconsider a lot of things including remaining a ML customer. As much as I enjoyed their sound, after thinking more about it, I don't think ML did everything they could to keep me here. I have a perfectly good panel that they just can't fix 1 of the 3 wires (due to the architecture) and I get quoted the fully marked-up replacement panel cost. Seems like there should have been some RMA option short of charging 65% of the going purchase price. I had always heard what a stand up organization ML was, I wish I could have experienced that but nothing lasts forever I guess. I do truly appreciate your responses and I am sure things will work out one way or the other.

If you just want to get new panel and be done with it, contact Shawn at DaVinchi, he should able to get a discount. I would say ML customer service is not the best in the biz, but far from the worst.

If you do replace your speakers, I would not recommend a set of speakers that are very old at all. 5 years would be my cutoff. I agree with Twitch, I would not spend that kind of money on an amp. I would switch it around as you want to spend the most money on your speakers. All of the ESL line is fairly easy to drive. They seem to be in the 90 db or so sensitivity range. That is not asking a lot of an amp. I hope you get it all sorted out. Don't get upset at ML for your movers breaking your speakers. ML gave you a decent panel price as the panels are the most expensive part of the speaker. Let us know what you end up doing.

Agreed, I will be returning the amp when it arrives. And don't get me wrong, of course I don't blame ML for the speakers breaking, just their response to it. As a business person, I just think once you get someone in the door, entry level or otherwise, you should do everything you can to take care of them, nourish that relationship and see where it goes. In ML's case, it could have gone well into 5 figures with me over my lifetime. Instead, shortsightedly, they heavily markup replacement parts on a registered user. I say "heavily" markup because they are charging $700 and if their cost on this panel was more than $150 they would have been out of business a long time ago. So, $50-100 markup + shipping/handling...$300 would be more in line with my expectations for existing customer repairs. Now, non-customers refreshing old speakers they bought used which cuts into sales, $700 all day long. If anyone is in the market for a single working EM-ESL & a fun fix-r-up-r project just let me know, especially if you are in the Seattle/Tacoma area. Thanks all for talking me down on the amp, I knew it was overkill at the time but was just tired of looking honestly and thought it would check most any box that presented itself.

I'm still confused as to why you can't get the moving company to pay for the damage ?

My wife used to work in Corporate Relocation and had an "in" for professional movers at an hourly rate. We rented the trucks and paid them cash. They worked their asses off and overall I was impressed and we saved a few thousand dollars (amp $$ anyone??) but any claim at this point would need to be through our homeowners and deductible would make that moot.

Time for Dissent??

Welcome to the forum.

I just wanted to pipe up with some thoughts. I actually LOVE the idea of some SL3 in that room.

There are many opinions to be found on the board, and there is a group that cherish the "old" sound of ML. I happen to have a room that is close to yours...15 x 19 with 12 ceilings. I have SL3 up front with Aerius Is in rear and Logos center, with some Dynamo subs helping the foundation. Running the panels with tubes and I am in love every day I get to listen.

My vote, spend half of what you were going to on that amp for a kick ass combo of Tubes for the panels, ss on the bass (I have a buddy running some type of Crown amp, it was less than $750 on his woofers and it sounds awesome...)

Here is a vote for GO FOR IT!
-TooSlow

That $700 is just one panel too, right? If you replaced one, im willing to bet the sound on that would not match well to your other one. Probably want to do both. I can see your hesitation.

I bought a pair of Prodigy speakers about 4 years ago and am having new panels made now. Those run $2800 for the pair. I think it is well worth it for speakers of that caliber.

My wife used to work in Corporate Relocation and had an "in" for professional movers at an hourly rate. We rented the trucks and paid them cash. They worked their asses off and overall I was impressed and we saved a few thousand dollars (amp $$ anyone??) but any claim at this point would need to be through our homeowners and deductible would make that moot.

so , given the cost of a new speaker you didn't save much !

In my 47 year railroad career I've moved several times, never, not once did I let those moving monkeys touch my audio gear or my Corvette !

so , given the cost of a new speaker you didn't save much !

In my 47 year railroad career I've moved several times, never, not once did I let those moving monkeys touch my audio gear or my Corvette !
Yeah, when we move I always move all of my electronics on my own and anything that seems fragile and isnt too heavy. Moving these Prodigies is a pain in the ass too, suckers are heavy and awkward. I always just wrap them in a good blanket and strap them onto my dolly. Getting them up into the vehicle is the challenge.

Back