New guy, new (old) Descent, new problem

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the suggestions! Something is bound to work, and I'm confident we will find it, but so far the source of the hum has been elusive. The only thing that has made an improvement was lifting the ground off of the A/C cable, a practice shunned by us EE's. Of course, given that last comment, you'd think I would have this figured out by now. Both Martin Logan themselves and members of this forum have contributed almost a whole page of ideas, of which I've compiled into a list to ease troubleshooting.
Naturally, my wife wont let me near the system tonite, since the first episode of nip/tuck is on :(

Tj

I had the same problem with the hum. It was driving me crazy. Mine was a ground loop hum and unplugging antenna, cable etc still did not remove the hum from my Descent. What did it was the xitel ground loop isolator. I was worried about what it may do to the sound but it is so much better than the hum I couldn't get rid of..
Here is the web address: http://www.xitel.com/product_gli.htm
Good Luck

Just wanted to post a quick update....this problem is still haunting us; if anything the noise problem has worsened. Plugging the sub into a 'cheater plug' did solve most of the audible hum coming from the drivers although there is still a faint buzz that emaniates from the power supply inside. Over the course of a month, the Descent has broken in and 'loosened up' quite a bit....so much so that we had to reduce the level one full increment (went from 6 to 5 on level control). The downside to this is that the power supply buzz seems to have increased also....it even buzzes when in standby.
Our Audioquest sub cable just arrived so that has yet to be tested although I feel that it might not help (and it is one UGLY cable...wont pass the wife test).
I'm starting to wonder if the subwoofer does indeed have a problem that might need to be re-adressed by M.L. Those of you who have followed this thread already know that I went to DRASTIC lengths to eliminate the subs hum. No joy so far...

Tj

Latest posts

Back