Lose out on sound using amp without 2 ohm rating?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave my Quests to my daughter and her husband. Against my advice they bought an Outlaw receiver (don't remember the model) and it has been smoked twice and yes it was well ventilated. They now have a fan on it and don't push it as hard. It is my understanding that the newer Logans don't pose the same hardships to amplifiers, so YMMV.

I agree with Robert above. The older ML's needed alot more amplification than today's models for sure. I personally own the SL3's which sound amazing to me but I upgraded my amp to an older Krell KSA s300 which outputs 1200 watts at 2 ohms a channel. It weighs 200 lbs and gets hotter than hell but sounds amazing! You would be surprised even at those power rating how at high volume levels all lights on front of the amp light up and I am using all the amp has in reserve!
I personally would NEVER run any ML's with a receiver - old or new regardless what the website says. I agree that they would never admit that their speakers sound optimal with a huge amp and not a receiver.

I guess if you just listen at low volume levels you will be fine with a receiver but if you like to listen to your tunes at loud levels, you needs lots of power to make these puppies sing!:rocker:

Latest posts

Back