Looking for comparable analog setup to Cary 306SACD/SLP-05 combo.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asindc

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm beginning to educate myself on what I call 'modern analog' (my last real involvement with analog was with a Technics TT/Pioneer receiver setup in my college days). As the thread title suggests, my setup will soon look like this:

Cary 306SACD
---PC laptop running Vista and iTunes into Apple TV, toslink to 306SACD
Cary SLP-05
Parasound JC1s
Martin Logan Vantages
Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC/Nordost Heimdall IC/Nordost Heimdall SC

I am going to start with a very low budget setup just to get a feel for things (maybe a Technics or Sony TT with Parasound zPhono), but I want to eventually build an analog front end comparable to the setup above. I would rather save up and buy big to begin with than tweak my way there. What price range should I be looking in? I'm thinking about the $2,500-$3k range. Thoughts?

Anthony

Normally I would say buy used, but it's iffy with turntables, unless you know the owner. In that price range the first one that comes to mind is the VPI Classic. While I haven't heard it, VPI is well-rated - I have a VPI (albeit an old model) which I'm happy with.

Note: there is a VPI Classic available on Audiogon right now for $2,000 with a cartridge, if you want to take a chance.

Last edited:
I've not heard a comparable digital front end, but then I stopped comparing a while ago. I just concentrate on enjoying the music, and I no longer do the head-in-a-vise thing - life is too short for that.

Anthony, good morning........... OK questions ....questions......first.. how comfortable do you feel with tt setup ? I'm talking arm, cart, isolation, etc.

Anthony, good morning........... OK questions ....questions......first.. how comfortable do you feel with tt setup ? I'm talking arm, cart, isolation, etc.

Dave,

I'm still in the beginning stages of educating myself about 'modern vinyl' and all that it entails. I'm talking about baby steps here, like learning the difference between moving coil, moving magnet, and moving iron, for instance. That's why I want to start with a super cheap setup at first while I'm learning more about it. DrJRapp took a similar approach to what I'm thinking not too long ago. Here is his thread on it: http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...into-Analog....-On-the-Cheap&highlight=sl1200

In my case, I'm going even cheaper than that to start with, but that's the basic idea. I do want to hear from others like yourself who have both a high-end analog and high-end digital end to get thoughts on what digital they think is comparable to their analog rig.

Last edited:
Ok......given your planned approach I would suggest you look towards companies like Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct that offer fully set up 'plug and play' options to start with. IMO the Technics 1200 DD turntable is still a winner in it's class (and beyond for that matter).

If you haven't already go over to WardsWeb's site www.audiokarma.org and puruse the TT section for lots of talk as well.

Ok......given your planned approach I would suggest you look towards companies like Acoustic Sounds, Music Direct that offer fully set up 'plug and play' options to start with. IMO the Technics 1200 DD turntable is still a winner in it's class (and beyond for that matter).

If you haven't already go over to WardsWeb's site www.audiokarma.org and puruse the TT section for lots of talk as well.

I have been over at audiokarma and I have gotten some good feedback there as well. Speaking of 'plug-and-play,' the Clearaudio Concept looks to be what I will go after if I decide to get serious. Both the press and end users are raving about the sound, and it is as plug and play as any high-end 'table I've ever seen.

Hi Anthony,

I am also at the point you are. I will be buying a turntable and phono stage within the next year, maybe sooner. I am just trying to sift through everything now. That vpi classic seems to be very good value for the money. I have to decide between a tube or solid state phono stage.So many decisions. I will be attending an audio show at months end, hopefully it will give me the opportunity to hear a lot of different brands.

Last edited:
Greg, feel free to contact me and take a trip to Ottawa to listen to my phono system if it will help in your decision. Bring your Tube Traps along :)

Thanks Bernard, it would be a pleasure to meet you and hear your system.

Thread revival alert!

I'm still in the research stage of this, though I did score a Technics SL-1100A TT from a guy who lives 10 minutes from me. I haven't pressed it into service yet, as I need to clean it up a bit and add a new cartridge. I did do a quick test run through my Integra prepro's phono input and was pleasantly surprised that a beat-up album on a beat-up table produced anything that sounded like music, but it did.

Anyway, a question: I read on another forum where a guy stated that he set up his turntable away from his electrostats to avoid any interference issues. What should my concerns be as far as my Vantages are concerned?

Back