JL Audio car speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Recently bought a 2000 MB 430SL SUV and want to upgrade the front and back door speakers without buying a new separate amp.

Plan would be to use the factory installed Bose amp / deck if at all possible. Budgetary constraints.

So, looking at the C2-650 for the fronts. Will mount tweeters at dash level to increase overall soundstage. C2-525X coax speakers for the rears.

Plan on having "Car Toys" in Denver do the install while I'm there for RMAF. Spoke with them and they seem to do a lot of higher end foreign vehicle installs.

Any thoughts on the JL Audio car speakers, particular models mentioned above or other models for that mattter, and "Car Toys".

Also, will the Bose deck have sufficient power for the JL's? Impedance is 4 ohms / 91 db.

Want good, clean sound, smooth highs and mids with well defined mid bass / bass. Will not play at head banger levels. Probably 95 db max peak.

Any thoughts / comments would be much appreciated.

GG

Last edited:
Gordon, I wonder if the Bose amp is using specific equalization for their speakers and there is a non-equalized output for any other speakers?

Great ? Steve.

I'll try to find out.

Appreciate the comment.

So, what's going on with RMAF?

I know you and your wife are coming. I'm also planning to attend. Haven't heard from Tim regarding Sat. PM dinner place.

Should try to nail down.

Gordon

As a car audio installer I can chime in on this. First thing do not run your new speakers off the bose system there ohms is screwy and you could fry your bose amp and or your speakers. Also even if that was not an issue your bose system sends out separate outputs to the woofer and tweeter so there is not a full range to tap into for your crossover.

If I were you i would just wait until you get a amp or install a new head unit and run them off that. If you really want to do it and keep your head unit ans suck look at a mtx-req5 or a audison bit one. Also just my opinion on JL but they are over priced for what you are getting. You might want to look at image dynamics, and focal. They would give you a much more solid sound. te ID's would give you a smoother sound and do not roll off as harsh as the focals. If you like it loud than go with the focals. Still good but they can get harsh to some people.

If you are tight on money for amps look at cadience and use alpine amps on ebay.

Also here is some of my work if your curious.
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/new-jersey/370497-need-help-let-me-know.html

So, what's going on with RMAF?

I know you and your wife are coming. I'm also planning to attend. Haven't heard from Tim regarding Sat. PM dinner place.

Should try to nail down.

Gordon

Gordon, I don't want to speak for Tim, but I believe he is thinking about having a get together at his place. I think there are about 8 of us who have said they are going or will try to go to RMAF. A week or so before the event, I'll send a PM around so we can get each other's cell phone numbers so we can hook up, although that shouldn't be much of a problem, as we'll probably run into each other at the registration counter!:eek: I'm really looking forward to this RMAF, as I want to compare quite a few preamps and amps. Right now, I'm leaning towards Lamm gear, but there are so many great contenders.

I love JL for car speakers.

I have owned JL, MB Quart, and now McIntosh speaker systems for the vehicles. I personally like the JL Audio the best. I do not think they are overpriced.

This is what I like about them. They do an excellent job of understanding that the speaker will be in a very confined space and thus, the bright sounds will sound extra bright. No one I have heard matches their ability to create an accurate reproduction without having that metallic super bright high end. This included my current McIntosh system which is Mac from input to output.
You can see that stereo on this forum if you search.

Also, with all 3 brands, I had sufficient amplification of 150 watts per channel or more from reputable brand amps.

If I wasnt going for a complete Mac system that I currently listen to, I absolutely would have bought JL components.

Hope this helps,
Dominick

Very helpful indeed Dominick.

Thank you for your insightful observations.

Gordon

I love JL for car speakers.

I have owned JL, MB Quart, and now McIntosh speaker systems for the vehicles. I personally like the JL Audio the best. I do not think they are overpriced.

This is what I like about them. They do an excellent job of understanding that the speaker will be in a very confined space and thus, the bright sounds will sound extra bright. No one I have heard matches their ability to create an accurate reproduction without having that metallic super bright high end. This included my current McIntosh system which is Mac from input to output.
You can see that stereo on this forum if you search.

Also, with all 3 brands, I had sufficient amplification of 150 watts per channel or more from reputable brand amps.

If I wasnt going for a complete Mac system that I currently listen to, I absolutely would have bought JL components.

Hope this helps,
Dominick

Might want to take a look at the ones I recommended.:music:

Hi BAF,

Like all things audio, everyone will have a preference based on personal listening experiences. Having said that, I do appreciate your input.

FWIW, I asked the folks at Car Toys about using the Bose amp with the JL speakers. They said it was not a problem. However I did decide, based on your input, to install a JL 4 X 60W amp.

GG

Great--at least you were able to make a decision. Also, I have been hearing that a newer company called Hertz is making a big statement on the car audio scene. You might want to check them out for components also.

BIGAUDIOFANATIC-

I would love to hear some Focal components and considered them for my last install, but at the price point they are asking, a thorough listen is a must and I have just not been able to ever get a proper listen. Given this, dropping $700 or more has been unreasonable for me. I am very intrigued by Focal though.

Dominick

Back