Intermittent crackles in a Script i

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoc

Reaction score
I have a M-L surround system with Summits and 1 Stage across the front,
Descent i (2) and Descent (2) subwoofers in the corners and Script i's at the sides. I am running the surround sound through a Lexicon 12 HD, feeding a Pass XP 20 preamp for the front speakers (powered by a Pass X350.5) and directly to a Pass X3 for the center and side speakers. All powered components except for the Scripts go into Nordost Thors with dedicated lines. The Scripts are supplied by two PS audio surge protectors.
In the past month, one of the Scripts has developed an intermittent crackle that is unrelated to what is playing. It does not seem to affect the signal coming out when there is source material.
I have already done the easy thing: powered off the speaker and vacuumed the panel. After one day, the intermittent crackle returned.
Has anyone had a similar experience? Is this possible a problem with the ES panel itself? The speakers are still under warranty. However, I would hate to send a speaker off if the problem is somewhere else in my system.
I would appreciate any helpful hints, regarding a fix.

I have a M-L surround system with Summits and 1 Stage across the front,
Descent i (2) and Descent (2) subwoofers in the corners and Script i's at the sides. I am running the surround sound through a Lexicon 12 HD, feeding a Pass XP 20 preamp for the front speakers (powered by a Pass X350.5) and directly to a Pass X3 for the center and side speakers. All powered components except for the Scripts go into Nordost Thors with dedicated lines. The Scripts are supplied by two PS audio surge protectors.
In the past month, one of the Scripts has developed an intermittent crackle that is unrelated to what is playing. It does not seem to affect the signal coming out when there is source material.
I have already done the easy thing: powered off the speaker and vacuumed the panel. After one day, the intermittent crackle returned.
Has anyone had a similar experience? Is this possible a problem with the ES panel itself? The speakers are still under warranty. However, I would hate to send a speaker off if the problem is somewhere else in my system.
I would appreciate any helpful hints, regarding a fix.
Hola Babydoc...and nice system you have!...reading the Script i manual, it says..."Popping and Ticking Sounds, Funny Noises
• These occasional noises are harmless and will not hurt
your audio system or your speakers. All electrostatic
speakers are guilty of making odd noises at one time or
another. It is the result of airborne contaminates (most
notably dust). Vacuuming is recommended.
• These noises may be caused by dirt and dust particles
collecting on the speaker, by high humidity.
• Dirt and dust may need to be vacuumed off. Please see
the FAQ regarding vacuuming..." reading you post, also you said that you already did vacuum the panel, so what I would do first also, is swap the left speaker for the right and listen if the cracking remains in the same channel...or it is the speaker that makes the cracking. If the speaker is the one, then usually it is coming from a certain part of the stat...so you can find from where is the debris that it is causing you the trouble. The cracking also could be from any component of your system...a semiconductor noise is almost like a cracking. Do not play any music, and listen carefully if you get that cracking...if you do, disconnect the input of the amplifier that drives that channel...if the cracking goes away, then it is coming from the processor, if you still have it, then the amplifier first stage could be the one. Sometimes it is very difficult to find the problem, but with patience you will...happy listening,
Roberto.

Latest posts

Back