inside the unit, its not silver wire

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audioraptured

Reaction score
Good morning members. This is either a question or a statement meant to elicit discussion about what and where we can improve our overall sound.
I always wondered after you open up a unit for repair or cleaning, looking at the connecting wires inside, they all seem to be of a very small gauge. And the boards to output jacks are also very inexpensive, small gauged, and copper in many cases. (I understand of course that not much signal is needed for those few inches).
If these companies are trying to give us the best sound they can produce, at a fair price, (and I believe a favorable sales price and review), why not make these connectors more "heavy duty"? Is "bean counting" the bottom line?
Fore instance: if they are just supplying the average power cord , why not change it to a better one of greater sound quality, and pass the savings on? (I assume a better price from a mass bulk buy would bring the price down and I'd pay an additional $100 for a better power cord probably costing $200 or more at some overpriced audio store).
So, to link this question to: why spend so much on super expensive interconnects of silver or other different and exotic combinations; and or why add ultra expensive speaker wires and power cords, etc, when you are not going to change the cheap "Romex" wire from the wall plate to the power box to the electric company in the first place?
Why not just "jack" into the boards directly? Why not "conditioners" from the power (fuse) box straight into better wire that connects directly to your power amp? .....
(I know all this is mostly an exageration)...... But, why spend $40,000 on wires? I think the best "bang for your buck" is room treatments.
However, the bottom line: the owners "perceived" change? But, where does the "diminished" returns really begin and end.
If your going to "improve" on the sound, why not start at the beginning and not at the end? Even if you spend $1,000,000 on a system, if the current coming in is like steel wool, you'll never get a steady first class silk sound.
OR should I sell everything and by Bose speakers and a Radio Shack receiver?

Last edited:
inside the unit

NikolasGreece; yes, probably true, however I was trying to comment on the fact that many are spending huge amounts of money to improve their sound, when the basic wiring of the power unit starts with so small or limited gauge wire.
In addition: the electric company provides power with surges and outings and etc, and a "mesh" of sound. Added to that is the inexpensive wire contractors supply from the box to where ever your room connects to.
It is my opinion that all that cheap wire adds to a weaker performenance of the power amp. It all needs to be "cleaned up" with regards to the sound finally coming out of your speakers. And at a cheaper price than $40,000 for interconnects...
By the way, may I wish you a Merry Christmas...

Merry Christmas audioraptured
the electric company is trying to keep cost as cheep as possible
if you change the wires inside and some capasitors
the beter sound you get is more than expensive interconect

This topic is always the "achilles heel" argument between "engineers" vs. "audiophiles," which nobody can win. The ultimate solution is for each of us to decide how much we're willing to spend pursuing infinitesimally smaller improvements (if any) in fidelity.

Having recently opened up one of my Summits (searching for an elusive loose connection with one of the woofers), it was interesting (but not surprising) to find TINY binding posts, with somewhat flimsy push-on plastic connectors, which ultimately convey the majestic sound these creatures put forth. Despite their $10k+ retail price, Martin-Logan felt those design components were "good enough" to get the job done. I could theoretically replace every wire, connector, and capacitor with a BETTER "audiophile grade" component, and convince myself I now have "Super Summits," but IMHO the improvements (if any) wouldn't be worth the effort.

I'm willing to invest a FEW more $$ in (?? better) speaker cables, interconnects (even power cords) for my system, fully understanding they may only be adding "bling." Simple economics explains the burgeoning "modding" and "cable" industry which caters to the audiophile mindset. As long as there's a market, the product will be offered.

Ultimately, it's YOUR hard-earned $$ being spent. Personally, I'd rather invest most of my $$ in more music.

Last edited:
inside the unit

Sleepysurf; point. btw, which Blue Jean wires do you have connected where)

Sleepysurf; point. btw, which Blue Jean wires do you have connected where)

All interconnects are Blue Jeans LC-1 (Belden cable with Canare RCA terminations).
Speaker Cable is single run of their BJC 10 White (10-gauge Belden 5T00UP) with locking banana plugs. I've covered it with gold mylar Techflex for WAF and "BLING."
Only non-Blue Jeans cable I am using is...
-DH Labs Q10 jumpers on Summits (replacing the metal jumper plates)
-Glass TosLink from Squeezebox to Benchmark DAC-1.

Once I feel I have optimal Pre/Amp/Summits synergy (still working on that!), I'll start playing with some other cables.

inside the unit

Sleepysurf: good morning; read very good things about the cables so the system must sound very good. I am thinking about the Benchmark everyone seems to give high grades to. How do you like yours?
(By the way, my dad lived in Bradenton and I would go through Tampa for years from this Norfolk area. I would get my school break and go down in August, (yes August just to hot sometimes) and do some fishing and sight seeing; and them sometimes at Christmas. I enjoyed the Tampa Bay Bucs. )
Have a safe New Year....

I am thinking about the Benchmark everyone seems to give high grades to. How do you like yours?

I'm quite happy with the Benchmark. I agree with those who characterize it's sound as "analytical" and "neutral"... it does NOT add warmth nor otherwise color the sound. It has excellent jitter reduction, and works very well with my Squeezebox. There is a longer thread about DAC's, including the Benchmark and others, here...
http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=3141

Another comparable DAC would be the Lavry DA-10, amongst others.

P.S. I've been a devout Bucs fan since their inception in 1976, but this year has been torture!

This topic is always the "achilles heel" argument between "engineers" vs. "audiophiles," which nobody can win. The ultimate solution is for each of us to decide how much we're willing to spend pursuing infinitesimally smaller improvements (if any) in fidelity.

I'm willing to invest a FEW more $$ in (?? better) speaker cables, interconnects (even power cords) for my system, fully understanding they may only be adding "bling." Simple economics explains the burgeoning "modding" and "cable" industry which caters to the audiophile mindset. As long as there's a market, the product will be offered.

Ultimately, it's YOUR hard-earned $$ being spent. Personally, I'd rather invest most of my $$ in more music.

Sleeysurf, I'm in agreement with you, being an audiophile I tend to side with the "engineering" camp, if you don't think there is alot of "hocus - pocus" in cabling check out AudioGon, there are more listings under cables then any other....by a large margin. Proof that many folks chase the "Sonic Holy Grail" through cabling, rather than better room accoustics. Speaking of which I believe for the most part the members of this forum are smarter than most and realize this !!!!!!

Last edited:
inside the unit

twich54: Good evening. I think you are right about the clubs members, especially having made some of the selections you see in the members systems. And I should have added more information like when I said "best bang for your buck" is room treatments, I did mean to seperate those from the placement of speaker wires and spikes and stands and the rest. IMO I think you can go just so far with tweeks and then it becomes an obssesion, rather than experiencing the real enjoyment of the music and its sonic presentation. I also believe most would agree with sleepysurf's last statement about money well spent.....

Back