ICEpower a good match for Clarity?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renpar61

Reaction score
I came to the conclusion that I should replace my beloved Rotel combo (RSX1057 + RMB1070) with a new receiver or separates, mostly to correct a lack of features and optimize sources inputs. I am looking at a Pio Elite SC-05/07 or the Emotiva UMC-1+XPA-5 combo as soon as the UMC-1 is available. I was considering the new Rotel 15xx series but I read about their problems with HDMI and frankly I don't want to spend that kind of money.
I have Logan Clarity mains and Fresco center. Do you see any problem driving them with the SC-05 ICE amps? Is 130 wpc (ICE) enough power for Clarity?
While I am convinced about the good sound processing of the Pio, there is not much we know about the Emotiva sound processing. I also have a Kuro plasma, so this should probably spare me from HDMI headaches from receiver out to TV. For these reasons I would be leaning towards the Pioneer, even though the 200wpc high current of the Emotiva sound appealing.

I have an SC-05, for sale actually - let me know. :p

I have been using it with my Vista's for the past couple months and it drives them fine. I just decided (today) to upgrade to all seperates. Don't spend the extra money on the SC-07 unless you need more advanced multi room capability.

Listen and you'll see. That is the only way. Many of us don't like Class-D amplification for non-bass purposes as can be seen in the "Expensive kit that sucked" thread, among other places.

Dublin 25,
PM how much you're asking. I'll think about it.
Which separates are you going with, if you don't mind me asking?

It actually sold last night. Didn't think it would go that quick. Honestly though - look at the Denon 3808 or 4308.

Rotel....btw

Give Emotiva a try

I would go the Emotiva route.Their new processor looks like a really good deal.I personally think you would be better of going this way other than the receiver or ICE power amps.You could also think about a Emotiva processor and a used Sunfire.The Emotiva website list all of the reviews they have received.Everyone seems to think they give you great value for your dollar.

I would go the Emotiva route.Their new processor looks like a really good deal.I personally think you would be better of going this way other than the receiver or ICE power amps.You could also think about a Emotiva processor and a used Sunfire.The Emotiva website list all of the reviews they have received.Everyone seems to think they give you great value for your dollar.

I am actually almost sold on Emotiva. What scares me a little is that their processor is been in the works for a while and there is no telling how good it will be. I would hate to get stuck with buggy equipment. Pioneer receiver (or even as pre) seems to be very reliable and would give the peace of mind of the connection with my Kuro plasma. Again, seeing how a lot of people are having problems implementing HDMI, I don't want to find out at my expense that Emotiva is on the same boat.

Call Emotiva

I would call and talk to someone to see what they say.I am also curious as to the delay on their processor.Maybe they want to make sure all of the bugs are completely worked out.Nobody want to be the next Microsoft Red Ring of Death candidate.

I'm not sure if it means anything, but the Purity, which is, AFAIK, the replacement for the Clarity, has a built-in ICEPower amp.

I had set up a customer of mine with a pair of ML Clarity and a Bel Canto S300i integrated amp which is ICEpower based. The combination sounds great, IMHO.

If anyone is interested I can answer my own question. Got the SC05 and I am very pleased so far.

Ice Power

Wow, be careful saying you like how ICE Power sounds, you just might get poorly treated. Any Class D amps except for Sunfire seems to get reamed. If your not backing tube amps or mac solidstate amps or Krells your opinion is meaningless. Watch what you say on this site, people around here can be 2 faced. Yes Ban me, please ban me. I have already asked to be deleted, since I have been called a Liar and a Thief. Thats ok My Bel Cantos and my Spires I kept will be very happy no longer dealing with the contempt some people show on this site. You tell the turth and they say you are lying. Well I personally love my ice powered Bel Cantos! The Krell HTS cant even come close to them. They can keep their Krells, Anthems, etc. I wouldnt trade my Bel Cantos for anything else. They always say week Bass, not at my house. Wait, remember I am a low life scum bag, liar and thief, so they will say don't believe me.

For what it is worth I am glad you like your Ice amp and dont let anyone try to tell you different. Only thing important is what you like not what someone else on this site say is better.!

PS: for all my haters, hope Grammar is way off! I also hope you one day you suffer and meet the same not so nice people I have encountered.

wyred 4 sound Ice amp + Ml sound great

I have a wyred4 sound ice amp st-500 250wtt/8ohms and 500wtt/4ohms ,,2ch/amp along w/ jolida music envoy tube preamp and wow they make my cls zii sound very goooood. this amp is made in Paso Robles ,Ca and the company before going on their own made ps audio and some B&O stuff. I am very pleased lokk them up @ wyred4sound.com:music: good listening to all ,,,Harry Ca

I am considering both the 500wpc Wyred4sound ICE amp and the Emotiva new 500wpc (both into 8 ohms) monoblocks for my Summits which should be here next week.

Can you characterize the sound of your Wyred4sound? I am not sure I will have the opportunity to hear either... although both may have a trial period, guess I should check into that...

I am considering both the 500wpc Wyred4sound ICE amp and the Emotiva new 500wpc (both into 8 ohms) monoblocks for my Summits which should be here next week.

Can you characterize the sound of your Wyred4sound? I am not sure I will have the opportunity to hear either... although both may have a trial period, guess I should check into that...

While I've never heard either of those, there may be an issue you may want to look at on the Emotiva. My understanding is that the designers put the speaker out + & - on opposite ends of the amps. This may not be an issue, but if you have wires with say the standard 6-7 inch leads, they won't reach and you'll have to "modify" something to make it work.

Gordon

Latest posts

Back