How powerful of an amp do you need for Masterpiece speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbill

Reaction score
The woofers have their own amps.
If you're only powering the panel?
Somebody mentioned that a ML person said all you need is 100w.
Would that give you all the head room you need?

Most average listening levels don't even use anywhere near 100W, with ML speakers amplifier stability is more important than maximum power.

Find something stable into 2 ohms with at least 50W per channel and you should be good

I think it depends on the size of the panels too. My Prodigies have big panels and I wouldnt want less than the 200 W my 2 channel Aragon has. That is powering the woofers too, but I dont imagine that they require all that much.

I was considering the CODA 8 or Pass XA30.8 to pair with my 15As at one point, but I went a different direction. If you have a quality amp that can handle the 2 ohm load properly, I seriously doubt you need 100 watts. That said, one of my rules in life is "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it," which I like to balance carefully with "Quality over quantity."

So my suggestion is to listen to what you're interested in, on your system, in your home, and see how you like it. Reno HiFi has a used XA-25 at a very nice price right now. Maybe demo that, if their return terms are acceptable to you.

My system started with my using a Linn Majik streamer that had a 90 W class D amp and it worked. I then moved to a Peachtree nova 300 and the sound and dynamics improved. I then moved to a Parasound JC5 and everything woke up. first 12 watts is class A.

I will be running my project speakers with Quest panels with a 25W per side First Watt F6 and I expect it to be plenty.

25W and this is the 600VA toroidal transformer that's going to run it, don't get too hung up on power ratings.
PXL_20230414_221828157.jpg

I was considering the CODA 8 or Pass XA30.8 to pair with my 15As at one point, but I went a different direction. If you have a quality amp that can handle the 2 ohm load properly, I seriously doubt you need 100 watts. That said, one of my rules in life is "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it," which I like to balance carefully with "Quality over quantity."

So my suggestion is to listen to what you're interested in, on your system, in your home, and see how you like it. Reno HiFi has a used XA-25 at a very nice price right now. Maybe demo that, if their return terms are acceptable to you.
Totally agree. The speakers will play acceptably w/ a wide range of "watts" and show differences in many amplifiers. . Where you settle is what is right for you. My VTL MB 450's are capable of 450 watts but invariably I find myself at 225 Watts in triode.

Back