Help/advice on front wall treatment

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnP

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
My name is John and I used to be a member of this forum way back in the begining, I was "Green Hornet" back in those days but can't remember my password so here I am revealing my non-superhero self to you guys!;)

Anyway, I need some help/advice here. I have a dedicated room but it is both HT and music so I obviously can't get the best of both worlds but I'm trying! The room is 17 x 21 x 8. Up front I have ML Odyssey's, center is the Theater i, surrounds are Script i's. I have two subs; an ACI Titan II LE and just picked up an Earthquake Super Nova II for $125(couldn't pass that one up). Now here comes my "problem/s"; I have a 110" Vutec screen up on the front wall and this puts my mains about 7-9 feet(I need to remeasure as it's been awhile) apart. The Vutec is a solid or one piece screen so it is VERY reflective. A little while back my wife and I were trying to hang some curtains up front and when I had just one curtain hung I immiedately heard a difference and it was a good one. Well we decided we didn't like those curtains and took them down. I'm now wanting to treat the front wall and have been looking at www.foambymail.com and their products seem very reasonably priced. I have about 2-3 feet on both sides of the screen from floor to ceiling to treat. I will also get the little corner traps they sell as well. Soooo, what do you guys/gals think? Should I get the 2" or the 3" or dare I say it, the 4"!? I appreciate all of your thoughts/opinions help and advice. Thanks so much.
Sincerely,
John

Oh wait there's more. I do have Real Traps bass absorvers in all four corners as well as their reflective "trap" on my first reflection points. If it matters, pre/pro is a Sunfire TG 3, Amp is Sunfire Cinema grand signature. Thank you!!

John

I'm now wanting to treat the front wall and have been looking at www.foambymail.com and their products seem very reasonably priced.
Resonably priced, but with affectivness like their price...very little. Look at the Real Traps site and you will see a comparison between Real Traps, Auralex and FBM products. You will see the FBM really does nothing other than take up some space.

Stick with the Real Traps, or GIK Acoustics for the low end to mid absorption. Auralex has some reasonably prices panels you can cut up and place on the front wall. Use sparingly to start as too many can make the sound too dull or lifeless. Trial and error is required to find the right setup/combination for your room, system, and preferences.

Dan

Hi Dan,
Thanks for your reply. I had a feeling the FBM stuff wasn't going to be such a "good value". Oh well, ya get what ya pay for. I bought the real traps about a year and a half ago and it sure looks like Ethan has increased his prices, alot! I should have bought more when I had the chance. Who/where is GIK Acoustics? Thanks again!

John

GIK Acoustics

Hi Dan,
Thanks for your reply. I had a feeling the FBM stuff wasn't going to be such a "good value". Oh well, ya get what ya pay for. I bought the real traps about a year and a half ago and it sure looks like Ethan has increased his prices, alot! I should have bought more when I had the chance. Who/where is GIK Acoustics? Thanks again!

John

http://www.gikacoustics.com/
John, Their prices are very affordable and Glenn is very helpful.Service is excellent.Highly recommend their products.

Wayne

Wayne,
Thanks for the link, their prices are more inline with what I was looking to spend on more room treatment. Looks like they make a helluva product!
Thank you,
John

Latest posts

Back