Hello !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricercar

Reaction score
Hi !

I'm very glad to have access to your forum, which seems to be a very very nice place to waste any time ! Let me introduce myself : I hope you will understand my poor english, as it's not my motherlanguage (I'm a damn'd "froggy", living in Grenoble in the french Alps). And I studied german at school, bad choice…

In fact, I'm not yet a ML owner, but I'm seriously considering buying a full range ESL model : Quad ESL or ML CLS / CLSII / CLS IIz are on my short list. For the moment, I have two different systems : the "little one" in a small studio in Paris (Jadis "Orchestra" CD, Magnum Dynalab MD90 tuner, Onix amp OA21S and LS3/5a KEF), and the bigger one in Grenoble (Linn LP12 / Meridian 596 CD / Sansui 9900 tuner, Nagra PLL preamp, Pass Aleph 0.S amp, … and another LS3/5a pair (Harbeth).

So first message, first question ! Do you think that my old Pass (2X40W, class A) would be enough for CLS ? My room has a square form : 5,5 m X 5,5 m = approx. 30 m2 / 323 sq. feet. I mainly listen to ancient / baroque / classical / romantic music, jazz, vocals, opera.

In advance many thanks for your tips !

Welcome................so what kind of 'rice' do you feed your car ?

as far as your question, your room is small enough but 40w might be a little weak, I can't imagine the full dynamic range of Classical music surviving with 40watts.........I'll let the CLS experts chime in though.

So first message, first question ! Do you think that my old Pass (2X40W, class A) would be enough for CLS ? My room has a square form : 5,5 m X 5,5 m = approx. 30 m2 / 323 sq. feet. I mainly listen to ancient / baroque / classical / romantic music, jazz, vocals, opera.

Welcome to the club Ricercar!

I'm running Pass Labs XA60.5 Class A monos with my CLS IIz's with great results and the meters rarely move under normal listening conditions. My room is only 3 m X 5 m though. If your amp doubles down as the impedance drops you should have about 80 watts at 4 ohms and 160 watts at 2 ohms. You can always start with what you have and upgrade from there.

Latest posts

Back