Greetings from the Great White North!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveC

Reaction score
Ottawa may be one of the coldest capital citys, but that gives me more time to enjoy the stereo! I first heard a pair of Electrostatics about 40 years ago, the maker is lost to me now, but the sound is not forgotten. Fast forward to about 6 years ago, the completion of a home reno project, with a nice big music room, and I finally have a space that would allow some 'stats room to breathe. Enter a pair of Summit X's! With a Benz/SME/Oracle Turntable for analog, and Esoteric Universal for digital, a Pass pre-amp and Bryston mono blocks, the sound is everything I could want! Well, maybe a little more bass, but that's for another day...
Cheers, Dave

Welcome aboard, Eh!

Which Brystons? 7B xxx or PowerPacs, or...

Sporting some 4B-ST's and the Lexicon versions, myself.

Russ

The amps are a pair of Bryston 7Bsst2's. At the time I bought the ML Summits, I had a pair of 4Bsst's, which I sold to fund the Monoblocks. My previous speakers had been a DIY effort, and were actively biamped, a 4B per channel! My only complaint about the Summit's is that they lack, somewhat, in the bass slam you feel in your chest. Between the 2x12's per channel, and the smaller basement listening room, my old speakers had it. By comparison the 2x10's per channel, in a larger, first floor listening room, aren't quite as good. I have been considering a pair of the ML 212 Sub's, but then came the new 15A's....

Welcome to the club Dave, from another Ottawan!

Were those first electrostatics you heard perhaps Dayton-Wrights?

My system (#214 in the Members’ Systems section) is not as upscale as yours, with Hana/VPI for analog, and Mac Mini/PS Audio for digital. Amplification is all-tube vintage Audio Research. Speakers are SL3.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people in this forum.

Hi Bernard, No, those first electrostatics weren't Dayton-Wrights.... They were taller and narrower, and had a built in Tube amp. Early Sanders maybe? I heard them in an audio shop in Syracuse NY on a road trip. I do remember they were playing a solo acoustic guitar track, and I was struck with the clarity of the mids, and how much it sounded like the guitarist was right there! As for Dayton-Wright, I've probably only heard them in their Ontario Place installation, but funny your should mention them, as I have a Dayton Wright SPS preamp sitting on my desk, just behind the monitor! It channels my computer sound or SqueezeBox to the monitors on my desk.

Welcome.
I currently power my CLX with a KSA 250, makes for a nice space heater on those cold evenings
SE Michigan here, and I power my Odysseys with a KSA 100 MK II and you are so right, it gives the room a nice warmth along with the the excellent sound😂

Welcome to the club.

Perhaps Beveridge speakers? I know they had an internal (tube I think) power amp in one of the models. Very memorable and quite an impression on this listener when I heard them. Also, Acoustat 2+2's I heard at a demo were excellent but were not self-powered as I recall.

In any event, welcome and listen to the Tragically Hip at a nice loud volume level.

Cheers!

Back