CLS I with CLS IIz panels any thoughts?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reybent

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get a pair of these for reasonable price. But what worries me is that the panels only is a CLS IIz, not the electronics... Its a CLS I
Is this an isue? I `ve heard that a combo like this is better than all pure CLSIIz. (panels and electronics)

But also worried reading that the CLS can drop down to 0,6Ohm (CLS I), but the CLSIIz has imroved crossover etc.. so it can drop to 1,5Ohm..
So where will these drop?

I have a Halcro MC50 (5x200w in 8Ohm, 350W in 4Ohm)
Any thoughts on this combo?

Any thoughts or surely some of you have repaneled your old CLS with the and newer panels..

Thanks for any answer!!

RVB

They will play but poorly. I have CLS II panes I tried and the electronics do not mesh !. Sizing of spars and such make or break it !

What do you mean C.A.P?
The combo with Halcro or the issue about CLS I with CLSIIz panel?

CLSI electronics and CLSII panels. I have tried it., They work just not well.

Thanks for answer CAP, I am now a proud owner of CLSII with panel from January 2001. These would mean that it is a CLSIIz panel right?
The electronics is from June 1990.
Anyway, since the electronic is almost 20 years old..:bowdown: does this have the feature of turning of the panel when not in use?

Thanks for answer CAP, I am now a proud owner of CLSII with panel from January 2001. These would mean that it is a CLSIIz panel right?
The electronics is from June 1990.
Anyway, since the electronic is almost 20 years old..:bowdown: does this have the feature of turning of the panel when not in use?

I have both CLSII with panels from 2000 and CLSIIZ with panels from 2009.
I would strongly suggest getting the mod to IIZ status,as it poses an easier load to the amplifier.New panels are expensive at 1500$ but worth every penny.
Enjoy!

Modification to CLSIIz (electronics) is this something easy to do self or sent it to M.l.
I know CLSII came out in 3 different version A,B and Z. (or maybe more?) How can I tell which i have? (by age?)

Correction

The CLSII came out in 1989.There was a very slight mod to IIA status,which consisted in removing something and soldering one wire inside the electronics module.The change was not big.
Then there was a mod to IIZ status which added transformers and resulted in a big change in sound as the load presented to the amp became much easier for the high frequencies.There is a serial number decoder on this site-which will enable you to look up your speakers.

The serial number CEBF 002
Doesn`t tell me much what modell I do have.. The panels are from 2001. (using the serial decoder)....
Is there a any difference with the panel of CLSIIz and CLSII A/B? or is it only the electronics that has been modificated...

Doesn`t tell me much what modell I do have.. The panels are from 2001. (using the serial decoder)....
Is there a any difference with the panel of CLSIIz and CLSII A/B? or is it only the electronics that has been modificated...

Your electronics were built in June 1990. That would narrow it down to A or B since Z's started in 1992. You could email Jim Powers at ML or take pictures of the electronics box both inside and out and post them here and someone can probably advise you.

I believe all of the CLS II's use the same panel.

Brad pretty much said it all

The panels are the same on all the II iterations.It would be a good idea to send a picture of the elctronics to JP at ML,he will be able to tell you is the Z mod has been installed.If it has-you are lucky,if not try to upgrade the IIs to IIZ status-based on my 2 pairs,the Zs are better,more enjoyable.

thanks raanan17, and to all of you others! it has been really helpfull:bowdown:

I will take a picture and send it to JIM..

Latest posts

Back