Beer It's not just for breakfast

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joey...

Ray....

I didnt even know there was a beer called "Delirium Tremens"...

LOL!

Joey :)

The full strength "domestic" (Dutch) version lives up to its name, LOL.
The "export" slightly watered down version found in places here in the US is watered down.

Last year I found that they actually imported the full strngth in error around the Christmas Holiday because the label had a santa image instead of the % alcohol content :rocker:

Sometimes when the FDA or ATF (?) drops the ball, it's a good thing. LOL

Joey,

It’s a Belgium Beer with a pink Elephant on the label. I was driving through Belgium once on my way to France and I saw a Delirium delivery truck with pink elephants all over it. If you make your way to the Hopleaf on the north side (5148 N. Clark St.) you can try all the great Belgium beers. you can also get the bottles at Binnys. Enjoy!

Ray I think they call that one the Yo Ho Ho!! 2 of them and you can be on the floor.

I didn't realize it was Belgian. I was introduced to it in Brussels, but...

for some reason I thought it was Dutch.

Ray I think they call that one the Yo Ho Ho!! 2 of them and you can be on the floor.

Dude, it you can handle TWO of those corked bottles, you are a stronger man than I. LOL. :bowdown:

I'm a stupid beer nut! I'll try to limit this to the beers I can most highly suggest. The stuff that I just won't let the store keep on the shelf.
050429rasputin.jpg

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial stout. To Die For.

7178.jpg

This is some serious stuff. I once drank 3.5 of these and I can't remember the rest of the night. It starts at about 11.5% and bottle ferments! Let it sit for a year or two or it'll be too sweet. Both of these are from North Coast Brewery, I've never had a bad beer from them.

1189.jpg

Raison D'Etre. It's a tiny bit sweet but so deep and complex.

dfh90ipa1.JPG

Off and on my favorite IPA, the 60 minute is a good anytime beer, too.

Dogfish Head makes some of the best beers I've had (120 Minute IPA, World Wide Stout, Aprihop) and also some of the worst (Midas Touch, Imort Ale, and a couple others). Sometimes they're just trying too hard to make something too different, I think.

Yes Belgium is the real home of beer....visit there sometime.

And the Czech republic for pilsner :bowdown:

but I stick to Dutch stuff mostly

Attachments

• hertog_jan.jpg
    hertog_jan.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 114
  • brand_bier_200.jpg
    brand_bier_200.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Heineken_bier.jpg
    Heineken_bier.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 109
mmmmmm beeR (grrgrgrgrgrglaadroooll) :bowdown:

+1 to many here. Ok, if I had my way

3 beers or less = Belgian
6 beers or less = English (though Czech is up there)
+6 = typically Bud Light :stop:

Very favorite is Duvel. Even if unleaded here (12% on tap in Belgium. Three of them and I can't walk straight). Also had yummy Roquefort 8 at 14%. I can't hang with the Delirium, too much yeast. I always buy Orval when I see it as they send all profits to charity. Such lovely monks).

English: Samuel Smith, all of them, but especially the Winter Welcome ("Blessing of your Hearts, you brew good ale", William Shakespeare), Oatmeal Stout, IPA. But really any English beer, you name it. How bout Old Peculiar.
Oh ya, I LOVE John Smith, omg, Im with Raflar on this. Seems all things named John are good including John Courage and even John Power irish whisky. But John Smith is just a whole nuther level.

I love all Czech beer, must've tried 20 kinds or more. Not mentioned, Danish, is very smooth Carlsberg.

Some favorite Californian: Anchor Porter, Mad River Brewing Company's Steelhead Pale Ale. Sierra Nevada after those, maybe.

Just drove x-country earlier this summer. Of course I tried new beers while traveling. Some funny names such as Moose Drool in WY, but the one that takes the cake resides with the Mormons of Utah:

the Polygamy Porter! :p

doh, almost forgot Hopeless, the Guiness. I guess I just thought it goes without saying! Best on tap...:food12:

:cheers:

As far as Irish stout is concerned I'll take Beamish Black over Guinness or Murphy's any time. My favorite Irish ale is Beamish Red.

I have friends in Switzerland...that live near Solothurn, and when there we always drink Feldschlossen :bowdown:

why hadnt i thought of this thread earlier!??

1st off moose drool = best-brown-ever!! (and im really upset my local beer bar 's suplier cant get any right now nor do ne beer store cary it).

Belgum beers as a whole = great...sooooo many to choose from (beer in general).

however...IPA...not a fan in the least bit. if any of you have seen the movie sideways, i am to IPA as the main character is to merlot.

love barely wine's (which are technically beers). old elgine oil is a really good one, but i cant for the life of me remeber who does it.

mississippi mud is a good black and tan

and for another nice mixed beer: walk in the fog (wing walker ale and foghorn mixed).

mmmmm i wish my beer bar was still open at 230......okay if any one comes to san luis obispo and likes beer, spike's is the place to be! if you are familiar with the place: no they dont have 100 beers anymore (more like 40-50, 2/3's of which are usually one tap) and yes the still do the beers around the world cards for a t-shirt.

music and beer, can life get better? i sudmit that it cannot! (adapted from the comidian brian regan)

holy crap!

how the heck could i forget quite possibly my all time favorite beer. the optimator from spaten (and any of there other beers really).

Hops' Restaurants/Brew Pubs "Hammerhead Red" for me. Gordon Biersch is in Miami, haven't tried their beer yet.

My favorite all time beer is the Spaten Octoberfest Lager. Made in Germany and sold for only ten days in the U.S.......if it lasts that long. Best straight out of the cold keg.

Next would be Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale. Tastey!:D

I would say my favorite beer would have to be Saison Dupont from Belgium. It is fantastic and great for a hot Arizona day. Google it and then go to your high-end grocer and buy it. I promise you will love it. :D

Just had a new beer from Goose Isaland last night. It is called Matilda. Awsome beer with a kick. 7.0% alcohol!! If you are in and around Chicago please try this one.

Attachments

• matilda_left.jpg
    matilda_left.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 113
I would say my favorite beer would have to be Saison Dupont from Belgium. It is fantastic and great for a hot Arizona day. Google it and then go to your high-end grocer and buy it. I promise you will love it. :D

I'm a home-brewer with abou t10 years of experience under my belt, and a HUGE fan of Belgain beer. I really like Saison DuPont, but it is gettin gsort of hard to find in some places these days. So I looked through my shelf-full of recipe books, and found a Saison Dupont recipe in a book called "Clone Brews". I tried the recipe, and in a taste-test with three of my friends (who of who are 10= year expert homebrewers, and all of whom are Certified Beer Judges), it was deetermined that the CloneBrew recipe was a dead-on copy, down to the duration of the head, and the "Belgian lace" on the inside of the glass left from the foam...

If you are a home-brewer, I can enthusiastically recommend this book. Every recipe I've tried has been as good or better than the "original"--Saison Dupont, NewCastle Brown Ale, Bass IPA, Murphys Cream Stout... Yummy...

--Richard

I'm a home-brewer with abou t10 years of experience under my belt, and a HUGE fan of Belgain beer. I really like Saison DuPont, but it is gettin gsort of hard to find in some places these days. So I looked through my shelf-full of recipe books, and found a Saison Dupont recipe in a book called "Clone Brews". I tried the recipe, and in a taste-test with three of my friends (who of who are 10= year expert homebrewers, and all of whom are Certified Beer Judges), it was deetermined that the CloneBrew recipe was a dead-on copy, down to the duration of the head, and the "Belgian lace" on the inside of the glass left from the foam...

If you are a home-brewer, I can enthusiastically recommend this book. Every recipe I've tried has been as good or better than the "original"--Saison Dupont, NewCastle Brown Ale, Bass IPA, Murphys Cream Stout... Yummy...

--Richard

I am not a home-brewer (nor have I tried) and honestly with my patience I don't think I would be very good at it. I know that Saison Dupont can be found at the local AJ stores here in Tucson and Phoenix. We also have a resturant that carries it in Tucson. I wish I had your skill to brew beer but I think I would just end up being a big drunk!!! :devil:

Latest posts

Back