Ayre KXR and MXR

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longhorn

Reaction score
The new KXR preamp has been on the market since January. The MXRs have been out for quite awhile, what are your opinions on these?

The new KX-R preamp has been on the market since January. The MXRs have been out for quite awhile, what are your opinions on these?

Great stuff, if you can afford it. I have never a/b'd the stuff against comparably priced stuff, but the systems I have heard have been damn good.

KX-R is the 8th wonder of the world according to Stereophile. Ayre sold 250 kx-r's in 9 months. This is very impressive for a high priced component, let alone a preamp. I wonder if ML will sell 250 CLX's in 9 months.

Great stuff, if you can afford it. I have never a/b'd the stuff against comparably priced stuff, but the systems I have heard have been damn good.

KX-R is the 8th wonder of the world according to Stereophile. Ayre sold 250 kx-r's in 9 months. This is very impressive for a high priced component, let alone a preamp. I wonder if ML will sell 250 CLX's in 9 months.

Yeah, I read that in stereophile,and Wes Phillips is a pretty grounded guy, I like this reviews. Just wandering if someone else have heard it.

Ayre Amps

I am sitting listening to Yoyo Ma coming from Vantages powered by Ayre MXRs via a KXR.
The MXRs I have had for some time and have used them with Audia Flight Pre or Ayre K5 xe.
It is possible to blow the rail fuses in the MxRs using Vantages. I speak from experience! A horrible copy of a Mahler SACD that is scratched was the cause. OK I was listening quite loud.
Since getting the KXR I can't help putting on both CDs and LPs to hear stuff I haven't heard before in disks that I know well. The amount of detail that this system finds is amazing.
Tried Gamut L3s and Dali Euphonia MS5s as well. The L3s are good. The base on the MS5s goes deeper, but the detail and musicallity with the Vantages is superior.
I was told that the improvement in sound would be greater with the KXR than it was with the MXR and I was sceptical. Now that I have listened I am convinced, and it is getting better as I rack up the hours.
I recommend the KXR with no hesitation. Get a dealer to do a puppy dog sale, but ensure that you have the funds because you won't take it back.

Latest posts

Back