are ML's going to become bestbuy crap now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy...what a usless topic this thread is when there are much better things to discuss......

I am still trying to figure out what significance this has to owning a pair of ML speakers? If we like a certain speaker for our own tastes, what does it matter where it is sold? Obviously to some, it does.

ASLayerAODsk said:
sigh...so now our beloved speakers are being sold by, what i consider, 'chumps' aka sold by ppl who have NO CLUE and NO REAL TRAINING on the hardware they have avaliable to them.

And there are too many of the High-End Boutique shops that do as bad a job as the BB shops in demoing and showing off ML's and other equipment. Finding a good shop is a long and hard process and falls more on the salesperson than the store in general.

Most of the people that shop at a places like a BB, or other discounters are three types: A) Know what they want and they know they can save some $$$ by buying it there, and B) who have no clue and believe what they are told, and C) just out looking around to see what is out there (these same people would NEVER step foot in a high-end audio store). Happens all the time in these types of stores, NO MATTER what the product is....Computers, Boom-Boxes, TV's, Appliances, Audio....etc.

sigh. so is this gonna bottom out the prices on ML's now?

So being able to save some money on a speaker we like is bad? Huh? Never heard anyone complain about prices dropping...just going up. Personally if I can save some $$$ on something I like, I am all for it.

i always said that when i can walk into a NON-SPECIALTY store and buy ML's i would sell mine and buy something else

Where are they posted: Audiogon or Ebay? I have friends interested in some used ML's if the price is right....

ps. my cousin in Mn just confirmed they are there at the bestbuy. sigh.
pps. plz let your feelings on this be known...i know im not terribly happy with it..obviously.

We are all entitled to our opinion and you have voiced yours, but the rational and the point behind it makes no sense.

I look at this marketing strategy as a plus. Most of my friends that have seen my system have NEVER heard of ML's. With them now being displayed in larger discount stores, at least the name will become better known - a big PLUS for ML. And at the large discounters, I do not expect to see the high end ML's - just the entry level models. This gets people to SEE THEM, listen to them, become familiar with them, and find out more info from the Web or even possibly go to other stores that carry the more expensive models.

Remember, the more ML's that are out there, the more units that can be sold. The more units sold, the more money ML makes, means the more they can produce, means the more they can test, means a better product can be produced. Simple ground-level business practices.....

But remember you have the final say on where you purchase them as that is your right and the great thing about living in a democracy.

Last edited:
I really hope that ML's are not going to be sold at Best Buy. I have not seen them at the Best Buy in, Northern California. Best Buy is the worst for information and service of any Audio store I have ever seen, except for maybe, K-mart. Best Buy's sales representitives know zip, they are fresh out of junior high school, with attitude too, just terrible.

Peter and Dan (DTB300) are right on.
Yes, there was mention of this earlier and Peter was correct. I am not sure if it was the President or Gayle (of Martin Logan) who actually responded. ML will die if they do not grow and expand with technology. If they do not have the money/funds for research they will become a commodity and then will sink in to a "me too" product of washers, dryers and other appliances.

By selling their low end products to select mass market chains puts their name in the mainstream and enable them to continue with their so-called esoteric high end quality dealers/salons. This is simple marketing, not rocket science, and a sound choice which is not a snap judgement by ML.

I am sure everyone here who reads these posts or contributes can name at least one company that made a great product but either died because of poor marketing or overrun by the "big boys" with lots of money. In contrast, there have been companies that made crap and marketed them because they had money/industry influence and they also crashed and burned. For example, the Tucker automobile and the Edsel both were at the opposite ends of he spectrum. The Tucker was far ahead of its time but was crushed by power of the "big boys" and the Edsel was Ford's idea of a new look. I think Shrek was better looking. :)

Then there are companies who had great products but had to cut costs so they moved the ENTIRE production and R&D offshore or went entirely in to the mass market. This is an extremely risky move, very disasterous and typically lethal. Two companies that did exactly that were Marantz and Nakamichi. Nakamichi will never be what they used to be and Marantz is still reinventing itself and doing well again with its high end equipment. ML does not have the deep pockets that Marantz has so in that position they would be just a fadingmemory.

So to blame ML for taking their low end products to the mass market is a knee jerk reaction. I think we all agree that Best Buy, Cicuit City and who ever, are mass marketers. They are staffed typically with "zit-faced kids" who only want a paycheck and could care less about the customer needs. They will pay attention, looking attentive, be polite and even help you carry your purchase to the register. They would not know a high end ML, Krell, McIntosh, Music Fidelity, Magnapan, etc if it hit them but I do know they could tell you about an iPod. My son used to work for Best Buy so I have a frame of reference and insight here.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion good, bad , right, or wrong and I think it is what this board is all about. We welcome differences as long as they can be substatiated and not just a shot in the dark with nothing of any substance. Opinions are just that and should be recognized as that, which is someone else's viewpoint. If someone says "I thnk........" that is fine but have a frame of reference as to where the "I think...... comes from.

Personally I think we have killed this topic beyond where it needs to go and lets get back to what we enjoy, which is, any ML's, other vendors speakers and associated peripherals. Enjoy the music kids! This is why we bought our "toys" is to enjoy music and HT and always trust your ears!

Jeff
:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back