CLS vs CLSIIa vs CLSIIz

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easypete

Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions, but starting to look for my CLS's.

What are the main differences between the CLS, CLSIIa, and CLSIIz?

IIRC, the CLSIIz will shut off the electrostatics with no signal.

How about quality of sound. I know going from the Maggie 1.5's to the 1.6's were an increadible difference. Is this the same for CLS to CLSII?

If I get a set of CLS's and send them back to the factory, will they come back as CLSIIz's? Are they upgradable that much?

Thanks,

EP

Many questions will lead to many answers. The CLS has been bastardized by ML several times. The CLS was the original. The panels are odd so they are recognizable. They are rare as most were replaced with CLS1 panels. The X-overs had only one power supply transformer. The CLS were difficult loads on the amp with a weaker bass. They learned a few things and came out with the CLS1 and implemented them into it. However it too had its drawbacks from some points. It was also not the easiest to drive. However the panels were holding out much better. They then had a CLSIa , a CLSII and a CLSIIa all the way to the CLSIIz to the 20th Anniversary edition. Most were Cross over modifications . However the panel saw a slight rearrangements of the stators after the CLSII. The panels no longer had the same distance on the sides as the CLSI, or CLSIa . It was offset to make a mirrored set ! The bass section was wider on one side. With that came new Crossovers that had dual power supplies seperating the signal, and power sensing shut down. Some say they like the CLSI series better as its a s close to a crossover less design and some swear by the CLSII and up series. Its a debate that will never end. I run a modded pair of CLSIa .

Latest posts

Back