Your Life Changing Moment?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Post your life changing moment, event, episode.

For me, it's about to come up.

I got laid off from my terrible factory job in Waukesha Wisconsin. That made me leave Wisconsin move to beautiful Tucson and start a construction business.

Benefits:

1. Son got a good education
2. Financial Security
3. Great Weather
4. Beautiful home

Sometimes things happen for a reason even when they look bleak.

I have 2 of them they are named Sarra and Blake !:D:D

So, when's the wedding?

LOL! No wedding yet!

For me it's residency match day - on March 20. All the M4s gather in one room, envelopes are handed out to each of us. We all stand there with our closed envelopes for a bit.

Then they tell us all to open it at once.

The envelope contains a single "match", a bound contract. Whichever program is on that piece of paper is where I'll be for my entire residency. I could end up in Nebraska, Ohio, Wisconsin, Missouri, Michigan, Iowa, or Chicago.

And it's not just for me, but for many of my classmates - a lot is riding on this envelope. Lives are on the verge of change or stasis, marriages are strained or enriched, relationships can be strengthened or broken, friendships lost over distance or made even better by being at the same hospital. From what I've heard, there will definitely be tears - either of joy or sadness. I hope I'm the former.

*Sigh*... I'm becoming anxious.

LOL! No wedding yet!

For me it's residency match day - on March 20. All the M4s gather in one room, envelopes are handed out to each of us. We all stand there with our closed envelopes for a bit.

The envelope contains a single "match", a bound contract. Whichever program is on that piece of paper is where I'll be for my entire residency. I could end up in Nebraska, Ohio, Wisconsin, Missouri, Michigan, Iowa, or Chicago.

And it's not just for me, but for many of my classmates - a lot is riding on this envelope. Lives are on the verge of change or stasis, marriages are strained or enriched, relationships can be strengthened or broken, friendships lost over distance or made even better by being at the same hospital. From what I've heard, there will definitely be tears - either of joy or sadness. I hope I'm the former.

Holy Crap! I didn't know it was decided like that. I guess I have a lot to look forward to in 4 years from now.

For me, right now, was the week that I was married. We had the wedding, went on the honeymoon, and when I came back the letter of acceptance to my first choice for medical school was in my mailbox. I guess I will not know the full extent of the *change* for a few years to come (it was 7 months ago).

Id call that a career advancing moment ! Not LIFE changing. You chose to be in that field and its part of the job. Thank you for doing it. It allows me the comfort of my daily life.
Don't think of it as a bad thing. traveling around the country is a great way to broaden your mind. If you get MI look me up Ill buy you a beer and you can come listen to a real set of speakers. (J/K) I had too. Good luck and don't sweat it. you will fit in wherever you go. There is always a Logan lover in every state.

LOL! No wedding yet!

Hi Joey,

Best of luck to you - as you say an anxiety provoking experience.

From the convenient perspective of being twenty years down the track from our own residency allocations the reality is that serendipity plays a big part in life changing events. Despite getting my first choice my life has worked out a long way different from my expectations at that stage. Not better or worse - different. A lot of people who did not get their first choice instead had a fabulous clinical and social year gaining valuable experience and often an unexpected clinical exposure which did change their lives in terms of career choice.

I hope you do get your first choice - always a nice way to start. An unexpected allocation could be the start of a whole new adventure.

Kevin

In answer to the thread title, my life changing moment was the day my wife of 20 years was diagnosed with MS. That was back in 1987 and it completely changed my general perception of life. Things that seemed really important prior to that suddenly didn't mean diddley-squat (and vice-versa). I find that it's difficult to convey to someone the perceptual differences unless they've gone through something similar. (Its the proverbial 'color to a blind man' sort of thing.)

As of right now, I'd definitely say it was the day my parents told me that I would be moving to America in 1998. I didn't speak much English back then and I was just confused.

Good luck Joey. I have a gut feeling that Nebarska isn't your top choice but hey, it would be nice to see ya!

In answer to the thread title, my life changing moment was the day my wife of 20 years was diagnosed with MS. That was back in 1987 and it completely changed my general perception of life. Things that seemed really important prior to that suddenly didn't mean diddley-squat (and vice-versa). I find that it's difficult to convey to someone the perceptual differences unless they've gone through something similar. (Its the proverbial 'color to a blind man' sort of thing.)

Kcl

My Dad was diagnosed with MS before I was born. To me, he was just my Dad, we had many adventures together both happy and sad. As you know there are good months and bad months. He was determined to enjoy life no matter what was delt to him, it's just a another page in the book of life to readjust to "what's next"!

For me it was the evenng that I met my wife and step-daughter Shea. Shea is developmentally delayed. She's the one who gave me my forum handle - she trys to say "Tim", but it comes out "Mitt" - always has, and likely always will. She'll probably live with my wife and I the rest of our days (she's 19 now), but I can't imagine not having her around she's become so much a part of my life. Her innocence and positive soul give me balance in an unstable world, and for that I will be forever gratefull. I remember the very moment she looked into my eyes and introduced herself silently as she took my hand. I've never regretted a single moment of knowing her.

I could say: the birth of my daughter four months ago, but that would be too easy. Let's dig a little deeper . . .

My life changing moment was really the moment when my mother decided to move from the very small town I grew up in to the city of Huntsville, AL where I now live. At the time, my father had recently passed and I was headed down a bad road -- high school dropout at age 15, drug and alcohol abuser, and no future ahead of me.

After moving to Huntsville, I got enrolled back in high school (where I met and became friends with the woman I am now married to). I became interested in learning again, and decided to go to college. That later led to Law School. Although my wife and I didn't date each other in high school, that is where we met and after college we met back up and fell in love. After fifteen years of marriage, we have finally decided to have a child and now I am experiencing a whole new world.

Not too bad for a high school dropout. And I attribute everything positive in my life today to my Mother's decision to leave that small town and move to a bigger city with a much better school system. It really did change my life.

Taking a Job in Japan

I took what I thought would be a one year gig in Japan teaching English at an all girls high school (I had been previously for a semester as a philosophy student to study Zen). I stayed 3 years, then returned to America to get MA in English and came back to Japan...6 more years here now...and it looks like I am here to stay... BTW no Martin Logan dealer in this country right now... DOH!

My Life Changing Moment

I would say that my life altering experience was when I found out that my wife had lived through 9/11.

She had been working at the pentagon for a couple of years as a Network Engineer. We had just got back from our honeymoon a week or so prior to 9/11. We have known each other since the 9th grade and have always been very good friends, and still are. We had been together since 1996 and when we graduated in 97 we moved in together. We then got married 8/25/01. To date, that was the greatest day of my life. She is my best friend and High School Sweat Heart that I love dearly. As for 9/11 I will never forget that day either. I left her that morning just like any other day, and asked if she was going to be at the Pentagon or the Navy Yard today. She replied by telling me she was reporting to the Navy Yard first and had to be at the Pentagon to install some equipment at 7:45am. So I went of to work not knowing that today was about to be the worst day of my life. See we always keep in touch during the day and it was always normal for me to ask where she was going to be because of cell phone signal. There isn’t very good signal in certain buildings in DC.

So being that I was in construction at the time and I was outside away from TV and Radio, it was my boss who first broke the news to me. He came up to me as I was working and asked me where my wife was today. I told him that she was at the Pentagon, why? He then told me about what had happened and that I needed to call my wife. Well, being the person I am I told him that was pretty funny? He then took me to my vehicle and we turned on the radio. As soon as I heard the news I began to call. No answer. I immediately left the site and began to drive from Leesburg towards DC. I kept trying to call and still no answer. And if you can remember the news kept saying that there weren’t many casualties because the plane had hit in an area of new construction; exactly where my wife should have been at the time of the attack. Needless to say I was in panic mode for about four hours thinking my best friend and now new wife had been killed. A normal commute to Leesburg from my house was about 45 minute to about an hour. After four hours stuck in traffic and still very far away from DC or my house I got a call from my wife, from our house. It had taken her that long to evacuate from DC and get home. She told me that all cell phones had been cut off and that she couldn’t get a hold of me. The sound of her voice was like music to my ears. When I finally got home I think I held her for at least an hour or so. After that day we have looked at life in a totally different perspective and I will never take my wife or life it self for granted ever again.

Back