Yahama Reciever - Is it good enough for ML?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drjb101

Reaction score
I am currently using a Yamaha 5.1 HTitB receiver and finally want to upgrade the speakers and subwoofer. Will the Yamaha receiver be able to handle the ML Fresco or Vigenette speakers as replacements or do I have to buy a new receiver also? I really like my receiver and also trying to keep cost down.

Thanks
J

I am currently using a Yamaha 5.1 HTitB receiver and finally want to upgrade the speakers and subwoofer. Will the Yamaha receiver be able to handle the ML Fresco or Vigenette speakers as replacements or do I have to buy a new receiver also? I really like my receiver and also trying to keep cost down.

Thanks
J

Hola...your Yamaha receiver will do fine with ATF tech. These, Fresco i and Vignette are easy to drive and also have very good sound. Go for them...they also play very loud with no compression problem as other speakers for the same money do. They do sound right with tons of musicallity. Great for any HT receiver. Happy listening,
Roberto.

I had a Yamaha 2600 but it didnt seem to have the oomph I wanted. It was a smooth item but I sold it fast.

I've always been happy with Yamaha items in the past, but the RX-710 (or something like that... it's a 7.1 receiver) that my friend's using with my old speakers doesn't sound up to the task. It's not bad, but it's just not full of life. It seems a good enough processor and I'm sure it'll drive the Frescoes with no problem, but I'd bet it'd sound a lot better if you used a 2 channel amp for the mains and used the receiver on the other channels. It certainly should have pre-outs for a secondary amp.

I should mention, though, that this receiver is in The Acoustic Room From Hell and I may be being incorrectly harsh on the receiver. Caveat emptor, YYMV, not available in all areas, see your local ears for best performance, etc. :D

Thanks
J

Why don't you just listen to the Yamaha paired with the ML's, and see if you like what you hear??

Oh he will like what he will hear. Good speakers have great influence on the sound of a system. His main interest appears to be HT so he should be fine - for a while, until the dreaded Joeyitis kicks in ;). It is a different story for 2 channel music. I have a Yammy 1600; used to use it as a pre-amp with my monos and Aeons for a while. When the Yammy was replaced by a dedicated pre, that's when the real improvements happened. I'm still using the Yammy for my poor excuse of an HT system. It is user friendly and looks great IMO.

Back