Wood trims

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there is regular oak, cherry and walnut. I haven't seen any others but they could be out there.

there also was a rosewood. american cherry AND BLACK OAK.

What do you want......

First you will need to take the panels out. You know how to do that already. Remove the x over box. You could use a mild stripper and then sand them down to at least two twenty grit paper.

Now here is where it gets tricky. If you want them to be black as can be while retaining the grain . I would use a analine dye fallowed by a coat of good black stain.
Depending on the intensity of the color you may want to water pop the grain to get a uniform depth of tone. I would finish with a wipe on oil or aspray on conversion varnish . If you want a gloss spray at least ten coats of a nitrocelous lacquer.

After it sets up for two weeks wet sand with one thousand grit moving on up to three thousand grit.

Now the fun part comes in ......Polishing with a very fine compound to bring to a glass sheen. Remember oak has grain and it will drink finish. .. I like to hand rub ....its safer.

sorry for the vague ness this is by phone at a airport

Thanx CAP... I am actually re-doning the panels as well - new mylar etc.

I want a "natural" finish on the frames. Textured if you want. I dont think a "glass like" finish will be worth the effort - a slight bump and the whole thing is ruiend.

Would you suggest I stain the frames black - or maybe an ebony shade?

D

Wow from black to dark cherry ! Quite the contrast. Let them dry a few days before finishing as the pigments need time to cure. Reds have a tendency to pull. If you can spray a light seal coat you would be better off. As spraying does not move pigment.

20080410061smlcc4.jpg

Here is the image of the frames - been drying for the whole weekend.

Last edited:
Nice color! take time finishing and be patient between coats, I like to use the 3m abrasive pads as to sand paper. They leave less scratch pattern.

Back