Why We Love Mono Block Amplifiers So Much?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marvelous Musical Fidelity KW 500...

:D Musical Fidelity's ~ KW 500 thrilling powerful monoblocks... Nuf said... ;)

Attachments

• Musical Fidelity KW 500.jpg
    Musical Fidelity KW 500.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1,865
:D The magnificant PS Audio P1000 monoblocks... Rocks your world... :drool:

The P 1000 is not an amplifier. It is a power supply filter AC regenerator that is capable of running most power amps w/o any current limiting etc.

Interesting...

The P 1000 is not an amplifier. It is a power supply filter AC regenerator that is capable of running most power amps w/o any current limiting etc.
risabet,

I did not know that... :eek: Thank you for clarifying that important point. I'll change my previous post accordingly.

Thanks again. :eek:

Arye Mx-R Monoblocks... Fantastic!

Beat_Dominator,

Yes Sir! that they would... :D I could get used to those... :D Good looking amps. for sure.;)

I like my amps to have a sinister look about them, I think the Gryphon Antileon is for me :devil:

48mfdjk.jpg

Last edited:
Wow!!!

Beat_Dominator,

The Gryphon Antileon is soooo cool looking... :drool: I Love it! :drool: It is sinister, I agree too cool... :drool:

I almost forgot this cool Monoblock set-up...

Attachments

• McintoshMonoblocks.jpg
    McintoshMonoblocks.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,775
The ASR System S7R Emitter II Exclusive akku Blue Version ~ What does this thing do exactly? :confused: It looks very interesting... ;)

Robin, the ASR Emitter Version Blue (as well as the Musical Fidelity KW500 also included in this thread) are not monoblocks at all, they aren't actually even pure "Power Amplifiers". Both are essentially Integrated Amplifiers - that is to say, they are pre-amplifiers and power amplifiers combined in a single chassis - sort of, because both of these examples are somewhat unique. The MF KW500 has an external power supply as can be clearly seen in your photo. The ASR Emitter is very different still. It consists of the box you have shown in your photo, as well as a pair of out board power supplies, as well as one or two battery supplies so that when you are listening to it you are essentially listening off the grid. It is capable of supplying 250W into an 8 ohm load, and 1400W into a 1 ohm load - certainly capable of driving our Martin Logans. I have only had the pleasure of listening to it once, at the Rocky Mountain Audio Show, but even then it was part of a less than stellar system due to the horrible DC Gold speakers it was driving. I would love to hear it paired with decent associated equipment. Michael Fremmer of Stereophile and Harry Pearson of The Abso!ute Sound both consider it to be the finest amplifier in the world, as it should be for the $25K asking price.

Attachments

• DCGold03.jpg
    DCGold03.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,404
Accuphase

Robin is TORTURING me!!! :devil:
Tom,

:D So sorry to twist those thumb screws too tight but I just need you to answer some simple, easy questions and I want only the truth, or you know... more torture - maybe the Rack or the Iron Maiden... or should I say the Accuphase 100 A's or the P700... :D

1). Did you audition Accuphase gear in Japan?

2). What sold you on Accuphase? Was it the beautiful sound they made when you first auditioned / listened to them?

Attachments

• accuphase.jpg
    accuphase.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,624
  • Accuphase Rack.jpg
    Accuphase Rack.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,146
  • Accuphase PS-1200.jpg
    Accuphase PS-1200.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,608
  • accuphase_amp.jpg
    accuphase_amp.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,820
Accuphase...

Tom,

:D Wait a minute... Let me just tighten that left thumb screw a little more, before I ask you this last question.... Their now... :p

3). Will you or do you plan to really actually own Accuphase gear of one kind or another in the future?

Attachments

• AccuM2000top.JPG
    AccuM2000top.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,946
Tom,

:D Wait a minute... Let me just tighten that left thumb screw a little more, before I ask you this last question.... Their now... :p

3). Will you or do you plan to really actually own Accuphase gear of one kind or another in the future?

I auditioned Accuphase P500 & P600 power amps when I was stationed in Japan in the mid 80's and absolutely LOVED their sound. Of course this was prior to my getting my Sequels and they were WAY out of my price range at the time, even though the Navy Exchange at Yokosuka had prices that were deeply discounted (example: I bought a new Nakamichi Dragon there for $650 dollars and list in the US was nearly $2K). I didn't know much about Accuphase back then, but had I known what I know now, I would've bought them somehow... To me, they are the pinnacle of high end. I loved my time in Japan - the people and culture, etc. and have high regards for the Accuphase corporate philosophy which is basically "we will strive to build the BEST of everything and don't care about making profits".

I ended up getting a Denon POA1500 which was a wonderful amp that looked very similar to the P500..... Denon was a company that was highly regarded in the early days and now has become less so. It drove my Sequels for many years, but had problems driving my reQuests at higher volume levels and would clip like mad, so I sold the Denon and got my current Carver to drive the mains until I figure out what I want.

I would love to get my hands on an Accuphase power amp (or monos) and I'm sure I would keep it (them) forever. The problem is that they are VERY expensive and very hard to find on the used market. :drool: and of course I'm not a millionaire!

Last edited:
Accuphase

Tom,

Thank you for answering my questions and the great story as well. :cheers:

:devil: OK... I'll take off the thumb screws now... :D

The Morality of Mono Blocks

Second this even though we use a monobloc architecture in both our systems. I think the biggest advantage of monoblocs is their bringing of relatively large power supplies in a manageable package. The crosstalk argument is spurious I think.

Quite a few stereo amps utilise a dual mono architecture with separate transformers. Would be interesting to see if the same circuit in separate chassis had any effect.

Kevin

HI All,
What about the moral issue? I've not seen that very important question raised. :rocker:

Speaking for myself, I will not get into a love relationship with more than one amp. It's a moral issue. It's like having a love affair with identical twins. Love for mono blocks can only be seen as bigamy. This would disturb my peace of mind.

I don't love mono blocks per se. It's just that you can't buy a new top end amp with decent amount of power unless it is a mono block configuration. Manufacturers have switched over completely.

BUT, my Audio Research D-250 Mk II Servo is a stereo amp. Now this is an amp I can morally live with. No multiple lovers to deal with. No lying, no juggling schedules, no excuses, no lipstick on my lapels. Just the purest sound I have ever heard from any variety of amp. Is not this the definition of a great relationship??

I agree that the reasons for mono blocks over a well designed stereo amp is mostly a matter of convenience both for the designers and the user. My D250 is a monster. But I'll put it up against any mono block and be confident that a divorce is not in the offing.

Whew, I'm glad I had a chance to voice this moral concern. It's not something you hear about in the normal reviews. What's this world coming to?

Sparky

Last edited:
A Moral Issue...

Sparky,

This is a very interesting moral point you have made. I guess Dr. Laura would say, to be true to your monoblock, you would have to be willing to swim through shark-infested-waters to get you monoblock a set of Hermies isolation feet. She might also agree that to make sure your relationship works ~ to provide your monoblock with, 'Proper Care And Feeding'. And I totally support that point of view, because to split your love between multi-channel design configurations is like shacking-up. Let's face it, if we love monoblocks so much we should be committed at least for the sake of the speakers.

Please do not misunderstand me, I do love a good beefy multi-channel design (monoblock configuration) the same as the next woman. :p
But their is something very special in a true mononeural, singular-monoblock kind-of-Love... The real morality involved here lies in the monoblock's commitment to love unconditionally. I should point-out that I have known of some monoblock owners who have stayed in a committed loving relationship with their monoblock amplifiers for five, ten or fifteen years or more... Somehow this is very reassuring to me... ;)

:D Hey, Sparky check-out this sexy lookin' Krell monoblock over here... :D

Attachments

• C-KRELLEVOLUTIONONEClassAMonauralAm.jpg
    C-KRELLEVOLUTIONONEClassAMonauralAm.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 1,590
Last edited:
Mono Morality

HI Robin,
I am very relieved to hear that there are committed mono block relationships. It eases my mind and I know I will sleep easier. Perhaps the very future of the western world does not rest on this issue.

But, I remain a one amp man (for the moment ;) ). I mean, really; who needs the hassle of two loves.

Sparky

Last edited:
Beat_Dominator,

The Gryphon Antileon is soooo cool looking... :drool: I Love it! :drool: It is sinister, I agree too cool... :drool:

I almost forgot this cool Monoblock set-up...

They look cool but you need a seperate dedicated 20amp circuit for each amp. That basically means an electrion needs to come out to your house before you can plug them in. I have heard them and they sound great!

Last edited:
Back