Why We Love Mono Block Amplifiers So Much?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeff Rowland Makes a 302 ~ Excellent Mono-Block...

Jeff Rowland 302 with 300 Watts of monoblock power could be pretty sweet... :D

Attachments

• Jeff Rowland 302 - Monoblock.jpg
    Jeff Rowland 302 - Monoblock.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 795
Some Say This Next Offering Could Be A Hit With ML Speakers...

This hefty monoblock is said to sound pretty darn awesome combined with ML speakers especially the Vantages, Summits and CLSiiz's and all the rest as well... :clap: Did anyone ever say it looks kinda cool in black...? Well, I am here to say, the Plinius SA-102 does look totally cool in black. :p

Attachments

• Plinius SA-102.jpg
    Plinius SA-102.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 798
  • Plinius - Rear View.jpg
    Plinius - Rear View.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 570
I love them because each amp is isolated sonically and electrically from the other, does that matter, I have no idea.
smTAD-1000%20naked.jpg

Last edited:
This hefty monoblock is said to sound pretty darn awesome combined with ML speakers especially the Vantages, Summits and CLSiiz's and all the rest as well... :clap: Did anyone ever say it looks kinda cool in black...? Well, I am here to say, the Plinius SA-102 does look totally cool in black. :p

FYI, the SA-102 is a "stereo' amp, and yes the "cult" group here on the site are all quite content !!

Plinius Amplifiers... I Know....

FYI, the SA-102 is a "stereo' amp, and yes the "cult" group here on the site are all quite content !!
Dave,

Yes..., I know..., You guys have the secret hand shake, the blood oath and secret mid-night meetings at Joey's... :D It like a club with-in a Club... :D

Attachments

• Frog Family.jpg
    Frog Family.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 554
Dave,

Yes..., I know..., You guys have the secret hand shake, the blood oath and secret mid-night meetings at Joey's... :D It like a club with-in a Club... :D

Love the frogs Robin !!!!

Krell 650m's with ReQuests

Krell 650m's driving our front pair of ReQuests and 250m's on the center and rear channels. The 650's might seem like overkill but they add amazing depth to the soundstage.

Attachments

• krell650m.JPG
    krell650m.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,117
Dave,

:D Couldn't a person bi-wire a Plinius SA-102 and use it as a monoblock amp? One SA-102 per front speaker?:confused:

Actually Robin, if one wanted to use the SA-102 in a mono configuration you would do so in a "bridged" configuration whereby the input signal is fed to the right RCA or Balanced XLR terminal and the speaker is connected to both channels (+) ouput terminals thus yielding close to four times the rated power (approx 400 watts into 8 ohms)

Last edited:
Still getting used to my Rotel 1090 powering the Prodigy's. They are pretty bright in my already WAY TO BRIGHT room. I long for some SERIOUS tubes though. As a guitar player who LOVES his Marshall 602 amp, I can only imagine how tubes might sound powering the Prodigy! (Oh I wrote this after reading through the thread...the 1090's have not come up recently it seems)

I'm still looking for an "affordable" pair of Classe Ca-101s to match my preamp :(

I like the idea of 600watt in mono mode :)

classe_ca101.jpg

ESL specific amps

OK, so Krells are nice, high-current amps. But are they really designed for ESL duties?

How about an amp that spits out one Kilowat at 8ohms or 2 kilowats at 4 ohms?

How about one designed specifically for ESL's?

Check out the awesome Sanders Sound Systems Kilowatt monoblock amp.

sanderskilowatt.jpg

Would seem to me these are quite the ticket if you want a dedicated monoblock to power the ESL elements of large ML's.

Anyone experience one of these yet?

BTW- Everyone on this board should read the ESL Amp whitepaper by Sanders. It clearly states why some amps fall flat on their faces with an ESL, but are otherwise well-regarded. It also clarifies why I and others insist on having a high-current design is a must for ESL drive duties.

Krell 650m's driving our front pair of ReQuests and 250m's on the center and rear channels. The 650's might seem like overkill but they add amazing depth to the soundstage.

Not overkill in my book. Those are darn nice amps.

As noted in my post above, one needs an amp with high current outputs, the FPB 650's sure qualify.

OK, so Krells are nice, high-current amps. But are they really designed for ESL duties?

How about an amp that spits out one Kilowat at 8ohms or 2 kilowats at 4 ohms?

How about one designed specifically for ESL's?

Check out the awesome Sanders Sound Systems Kilowatt monoblock amp.

sanderskilowatt.jpg

Would seem to me these are quite the ticket if you want a dedicated monoblock to power the ESL elements of large ML's.

Anyone experience one of these yet?

BTW- Everyone on this board should read the ESL Amp whitepaper by Sanders. It clearly states why some amps fall flat on their faces with an ESL, but are otherwise well-regarded. It also clarifies why I and others insist on having a high-current design is a must for ESL drive duties.

Jon, do you know if Sanders used to work for Innersound? They also design ELS speakers, and had an amp specifically for ESL applications that looked amazingly like the one in your photo.

Mono Brick!

Robin, of course you know how much I love my Balanced Audio Technology VK-6200 amp. While it is not in the purest sense of your thread a true mono-block having completely seperate chassis - it does have 4 completely seperate amplifiers (including seperate power supplies) housed in a single chassis. There's room for 2 more - for a total of 6 and is quite a beast. It weighs almost 220 lbs with the 4 modules in place and has power aplenty for my ReQuests. The sound is typical BAT - Class A operation bringing it very close to the sound of their tubed amps, with the punch and authority of the best solid state. This is a great amp!

Attachments

• BAT Power.jpg
    BAT Power.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,413
BAT ~ Musical Sound Combined With Mighty Power and Authority...

Robin, of course you know how much I love my Balanced Audio Technology VK-6200 amp. While it is not in the purest sense of your thread a true mono-block having completely seperate chassis - it does have 4 completely seperate amplifiers (including seperate power supplies) housed in a single chassis. There's room for 2 more - for a total of 6 and is quite a beast. It weighs almost 220 lbs with the 4 modules in place and has power aplenty for my ReQuests. The sound is typical BAT - Class A operation bringing it very close to the sound of their tubed amps, with the punch and authority of the best solid state. This is a great amp!
Tim,

BAT is on my list... Awesome specifications and build quality as well. A musical monster for sure. :D I do like the individualized separate monoblock configuration design. Interestingly, as you know BAT is not as pricey for the quality and design you receive, as well as musical Class "A" sound... ;)

The VK 6200 is truly awesome but so is the VK 600 as well...

Attachments

• VK 6200.jpg
    VK 6200.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,169
  • VK 600.jpg
    VK 600.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,263
Balanced Audio Technology

Tim,

I have been equally impressed with BAT's preamps...
I know this thread is about monoblocks but I have been blown away by BAT's ~ Tubed Preamps as well, especially the the VK 51SE. ;)

Attachments

• vk51se.jpg
    vk51se.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,061
Tim,

I have been equally impressed with BAT's preamps...
I know this thread is about monoblocks but I have been blown away by BAT's ~ Tubed Preamps as well, especially the the VK 51SE. ;)

The VK-51 SE is a state of the art effort to be sure. Although I'm very happy with my VK-31 SE as well. They have a new pre-amp coming out right now (VK-32 SE), but I have not heard it yet.

Attachments

• VK31-SE.jpg
    VK31-SE.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,157
I have not spent alot of time listening to BAT, but from what I have read and those I trust in the know, they are supposed to be the most "musical" of the multi-channel amps.

Back