Who loves Chocolate?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denialdesosa

Reaction score
I DO!

Been going through different favourites and have to say, the chocolate of the moment is Milka. Their Hazelnut and the new one which looks like a cow, brown chocolate with white patches in it Smile

I am a big fan of chocolate. I do a lot of baking with chocolate, but what I use is dark chocolate. I do not like milk chocolate at all; it is not serious chocolate !

Big fan, I try to incorporate into most of my cooking. I jones for Starbucks iced mochas as an afternoon pick me up and I'm a huge fan of high cacao content (>70%) dark chocolate. For Thanksgiving this year we made a spicy brine for the turkey and instead of gravy we made a chocolate poblano mole, which was outstanding.

I love chocolate, but the best is Cadbury's Dairy Milk. The real thing from the UK, not the stuff made on this side of the pond, or made for sale over here. The real thing is much more creamy. Checking out the ingredients might explain: the most predominant ingredient in proper Dairy Milk is milk (a full glass and a hlaf in every bar, remember?!); over here it's sugar. A mouthful of UK Dairy Milk served at room temperature: mmmmmmmm!

To me Hershey's is the worst. It tastes like wax and I don't know how they get away with calling it chocolate.

To me Hershey's is the worst. It tastes like wax and I don't know how they get away with calling it chocolate.

Now Rich....it got our GI's through many a tough time during WWII !

FWIW, Consumers Reports rated Hershey's 'Dark Chocolate' very high in a recent survey. Also, FYI, Cadbury products in N. America are made by Hershey in Hazelton, Pa

My little indulgence are Hershey's nuggets extra creamy with toffee. They have more cocoa butter added back in after it was pressed out of the cacoa bean to get the cocoa. It is what makes it creamy.

Attachments

• hersheysnuggets.jpg
    hersheysnuggets.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 124
FWIW, Consumers Reports rated Hershey's 'Dark Chocolate' very high in a recent survey. Also, FYI, Cadbury products in N. America are made by Hershey in Hazelton, Pa
Dave, what other chocolate did they compare it with? I'll bet that they did not compare it with high quality brands from Switzerland, Belgium, and France.

BTW Hershey bought the very highly-rated (but I don't care for) Scharffen Berger chocolate company from California, then decided to close it down.

The penny just dropped.....you are in PA too ! :devil:

Dave, what other chocolate did they compare it with?

Not sure Bernard, I'll try and find the old issue of CR and report back !

BTW Hershey bought the very highly-rated (but I don't care for) Scharffen Berger chocolate company from California, then decided to close it down.

Stupid Ca pretty much forced Hershey to completely leave the state(everything from manufacturing to distribution)

I love chocolate, but the best is Cadbury's Dairy Milk. The real thing from the UK, not the stuff made on this side of the pond, or made for sale over here. The real thing is much more creamy. Checking out the ingredients might explain: the most predominant ingredient in proper Dairy Milk is milk (a full glass and a hlaf in every bar, remember?!); over here it's sugar. A mouthful of UK Dairy Milk served at room temperature: mmmmmmmm!

Hey - is your Cadbury chocolate crap as well? Legend has it that the stuff here is disgusting because of the additives they use to stop it spoiling in the heat......but Canada - no heat so that doesn't hold.

Still - the English Cadbury is yum (and our chocolate of choice) - luckily there are plenty of UK shops here that sell it!

I hate most other chocolates other than the very very good ones........and that DOES NOT include Lindt - may as well suck on an engine sump drain - so greasy and oily!

Last edited:
Hey - is your Cadbury chocolate crap as well? Legend has it that the stuff here is disgusting because of the additives they use to stop it spoiling in the heat......but Canada - no heat so that doesn't hold.
I used to work with a lady in Dallas who loved Canadian KitKat and disliked the American-made stuff; she said it was too sweet and not chocolatey enough. I used to take her a stash of KitKat every time I flew to Dallas

I hate most other chocolates other than the very very good ones........and that DOES NOT include Lindt - may as well suck on an engine sump drain - so greasy and oily!
Have you tried brands like Felchlin, Callebaut, Valrhona, and Michel Cluizel?

Never heard of Valrhona.
Valrhona is an extremely expensive French chocolate.

BTW if you ever get to Western Canada (Toronto and West of it) there are franchise stores called Bernard Callebaut (no, I'm not kidding) that have really nice Champagne Truffles. I used to like a bunch of their other stuff as well, but the quality seems to have gone down of late.

Last edited:
I got to visit Brussels Belgium last year on business. Nobody does chocolate like Brussels. Chocolate was everywhere, it was almost like being in the Willy Wonka movie. The Belgians are as serious about their chocolate as we are about audio. They also know a thing or two about beer. MMmmmm...beer and chocolate!

Last edited:
I like See's chocolates a business associate gave me some for Christmas this year and the dark chocolates were delicious

A friend once showed me an ad for a job she said would be perfect for me:

Fortnum and Mason, a famous food shop in London, was looking for someone to travel the world to buy chocolate for them.

Subsequent to that, I did sample some chocolate from there, and was not impressed.

A friend once showed me an ad for a job she said would be perfect for me:

Fortnum and Mason, a famous food shop in London, was looking for someone to travel the world to buy chocolate for them.

Subsequent to that, I did sample some chocolate from there, and was not impressed.

I guess that's why they need someone with taste to search and find chocolate for them. You didn't take that job?

I guess that's why they need someone with taste to search and find chocolate for them. You didn't take that job?
No, at the time I had what I thought was a secure job with the phone company.

Last edited:

I wouldn't go as far to say that our Cadbury's stuff is crap (it is quite good actually), but it's not as good as the real thing. The real thing is more creamy.

Still - the English Cadbury is yum (and our chocolate of choice) - luckily there are plenty of UK shops here that sell it!

There are a couple of stores around here where we can buy exhoribantly priced chocolate from the UK, but our preference is to ask the relatives to send some over. Once or twice a year we get about 6 400g bars from the old country! The postage is a killer (for the senders), so we have to ration ourselves... :)

Back