who here owns something other than ML speakers?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hkd

Reaction score
back in hk a month ago before i got a pair of ml i was running 803s bw before that i owned normal ht speakers like polk audio sony speakers and alot. been upgrading along the way.

What vesion of the 803's did you have and which ML's did you move to? I recently heard a demo of b&w signature diamond with classe electronics and was blown away by this not to large 2 way.

I currently have Aeon i with a Descent sub that sounds great but now I wonder about the 803 diamond. Of course Vantage is still an option.

802d. it was my first major upgrade. cost me around 12,000 usd with my hk tube amp and pre amp.

sound quality was very good and better then the ml i have right now.

im borrowing my uncles ml stylos which he got in 199x

and its powered by a bryston intergrated amp.

its all i can get right now since i just moved to van for university.

i started going to alot of performances and music classes at ubc and i cant find any speakers to match the live quality.

in van we have hificenter. i been there once in one of their 100,000$ sound room. they also use bw. sounds pretty sweet with old songs.

ml might sound better but you need to spend alot of attention in cleanning it which is a pain if your a student.

Last edited:
rival brands

I use B&Ws S2 speakers in various sizes in various rooms of my house. They are bullet proof, easy to drive and sound nice... and they are not so expensive. They are not as beautiful to behold as ML and they dont sound as good for critical listening, but they are good enough for most purposes and easier to push... I also still own a pair of Klipsch Forte IIs... they rock my dance floor...

Celestion 5's, and Radio Shack Minimus 7's--both small bookshelf speakers, but they can really SING when you drive them with big, fast amps. The Newer Celestions aren't nearly as musical, IMO, but the older 1980's-1990's Celestions (especially the SL models) were fantastic little speakers. And of course, the Minumus 7 in it's original cast metal cabinet incarnation is one of the real "sleepers" of the micro-speaker world...

--Richard

I'm using Final Sound 1000i's which replaced ML Summits.

Although I don't use them as much, I still own a nice pair of Snell Type IIa's (which I purchased new back in 80-something) and a compliment of thier newer surround speakers, SUR-500's and a center channel speaker. I use my ML ReQuests more often lately.

heres a quick questions to ask all you all.

do you guys listen to your main hi fi setup like everyday or on special occations like once or twice a week because the more listening you do, the more harm you do to your amps and speaker as you will have to replace tubes and cones faster.

back in hk. my dad hade his old hi fi for music everyday in his room and a separate room for his main hi fi where i could sit with him for twice a week listenign to vynal disks :rocker:

Most of my non-ML speakers are Mirage.

M290i in the olft, along with a Mirage center and surrounds.

Omnisat's in the living room (+ SVS Sub)

Omnisat FX's for the theater sides.

When recommneding systems for freinds on certain budgets, the Mirages is my first choice.

The best non-ML I've ever heard is the Soundlab A1 ;)

heres a quick questions to ask all you all.

do you guys listen to your main hi fi setup like everyday or on special occations like once or twice a week because the more listening you do, the more harm you do to your amps and speaker as you will have to replace tubes and cones faster.

back in hk. my dad hade his old hi fi for music everyday in his room and a separate room for his main hi fi where i could sit with him for twice a week listenign to vynal disks :rocker:

I wouldn't hold back on playing my system because of concern that I would be wearing it out. It's there to use and not just room decoration. Sure the tubes would eventually wear out from use but then simply replace them when they do. The panels and cones wear out from age and environment much more so than use. Most people upgrade every so often anyway. So why not enjoy the system while you have it?

...cats in the cradle and the silver moon...

I use Spica TC-50's for side and rear surrounds for HT. I find they blend very nicely with ML's.

HKD,
Craig is right, play your system when you can. Life is to short to listen to less than the best you have.
Start a repair fund now. Through some change or a buck in a jar each time you listen so you will feel comfortable knowing when you need new tubes or what ever you have it covered.

It would be to painful to walk by my system and not want to play it for fear it would hurt it.

Probably once a week I turn on my amps to warm up and by the time their ready something has come up to prevent my listening. I am more bothered by the fact I missed listening to some good music than the tubes have a bit more time on them.

Relax and enjoy your system. Just my 2 cents.

Tyler Acoustic's Taylos 7U's and Focal 807v's.

taylo7ulg1.jpg

Focal_JMlab_807V_240x217.jpg

Hans Deutsch Light Style 2. I'm sure most of you have never heard of them. They work really well with the Trends Audio TA 10.1 amp.

MBL101a's! LOVE THEM! I need to give them a good source and power eventually, but the Rotel stuff is fine for now. They actually produce much more bass than I thought they would, the look STUNNING (no one and I mean NO ONE thinks they are speakers the first time they see them!!!), and they create a BEAUTIFUL sound field. Of course the newest version of these speakers will set you back about $55k!!! YEOW!!

Attachments

• IMG_1354.JPG
    IMG_1354.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 227
MBL101a's! LOVE THEM! I need to give them a good source and power eventually, but the Rotel stuff is fine for now. They actually produce much more bass than I thought they would, the look STUNNING (no one and I mean NO ONE thinks they are speakers the first time they see them!!!), and they create a BEAUTIFUL sound field. Of course the newest version of these speakers will set you back about $55k!!! YEOW!!

Yes, those are some pretty cool looking lava lamps! Where's that beautiful sound coming from?

MBLs are one of the few speakers I would upgrade to from Summits.

I'm actually giving some VERY serious thought to the Avalon Indra's. If the CLX does not materialize so that I can give them an audition there is a possibilty of my leaving the fold in a year or so - well, not really, I'd likely still keep my ReQuests - but the Indra's are about as good a speaker as I've yet heard, and are very well priced for what you get from them. Not quite the sound of the Isis or Sentinal, but very, very close...

Attachments

• avalon_indra_src_alt.jpg
    avalon_indra_src_alt.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 168
Tim, I'm afraid to listen to them........for they are one of the few brands of "box" speakers that I REALLY do like .

Vandersteen 1C's in the living room and Edge Audio (Now Aperion) Sat sub system in the Master BR.

The Vandy's are one of the few "conventional" speakers that have the same lack of box feel as Maggies.

I also have a pair of M-Audio BX-8a'a (Active monitors) that I use as main speakers for showing DVD's at our church or my sister-in-laws back yard. These are also quite good for connecting an MP3 player (mine is a Rio Karma), or computer.

Latest posts

Back