Which Turntable?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not have a Phono stage yet. I will probably go with the Pass Labs Phono stage though.

Turntables (actually analog in general) are the subject of much of my audio lust. There are so many good options now as compared to the time when vinyl was the dominant format and CD was the new kid on the block. It's interesting that such significant advances have been made with regard to an "obsolete" technology, and that album and analog hi fi sales continue to grow.

If you stick with any of the main players you are likely to have a fullfilling analog adventure, but as noted so well by my collegues above, each will have it's own house sound. I am not a big fan of the Clearaudio sound, but recognize that they are a major player. I've owned Rega Planar's, which I enjoyed immensely. I was actually introduced to the notion of "Hi End" audio by virtue of the Linn LP-12, which rightfully has a place in Hi-Fi history, and I have never heard one sound anything less than "musical". I do admit though that I love the detail, presentation and weight I get from my beloved VPI Aries.

Long live analog!

Check out how much this puppy weighs...

Mmm, look at the old school turntable gone new. The VPI HR-X from TEAC features a belt driven, 50-mm thick acrylic platter which floats on an air suspension system at 33.3 or 45rpm. Packing a pair of 24 pole, 300rpm AC synchronous motors, this pup weighs in at 52.5-kg or 116-pounds.:eek:

Oh, and It'll set you back ¥2,310,000 or about $19,000 when these go on sale in Japan in mid-June. :music:

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 187
Mmm, look at the old school turntable gone new. The VPI HR-X from TEAC features a belt driven, 50-mm thick acrylic platter which floats on an air suspension system at 33.3 or 45rpm. Packing a pair of 24 pole, 300rpm AC synchronous motors, this pup weighs in at 52.5-kg or 116-pounds.:eek:

Oh, and It'll set you back ¥2,310,000 or about $19,000 when these go on sale in Japan in mid-June. :music:

That is the VPI HRX, big brother to mine and Dave's VPI Aries. That's the turntable of my dreams (it's the one in my avitar). Teac doesn't have anything to do with it here in the States, they must be the distributor in Japan or something. That price is robbery though. Here it sells for $10,000.00 including the arm, outer ring clamp and VPI Synchronous Drive System motor isolator and controller! It's been available here for 2 years or so at least.

Last edited:

Scott, good day, by your mentioning of "TEAC" I'm assuming your reading this off some trade magazine for the Japanese market ?? For VPI distributes directly to their dealers in this country with no involvement of TEAC. Also the Platter is NOT air suspended, rather the entire plinth is suspended via the "air feet", an upgrade that is available for other models in their lineup as well.

Last edited:
Scott, good day, buy your mentioning of "TEAC" I'm assuming your reading this off some trade magazine for the Japanese market ?? For VPI distributes directly to their dealers in this country with no involvement of TEAC. Also the Platter is NOT air suspended, rather the entire plinth is suspended via the "air feet", an upgrade that is available for other models in their lineup as well.

Yeah, what Dave said...

Yep....looks like Japanese to me !!!!

sorry... it didn't translate :mad:

sigh... it should be much easier than this... I tried several times to get the translation link... I failed... here's the 'copied' translated page... sorry... now the post doesn't seem worth it :mad:

Corporation [teiatsukuesoteritsukukanpani] handles the analog turntable and the related accessory of the United States VPI Industries make from the middle of June and starts.

Product Product name Price
Turntable VPI HR-X 2,310,000 Yen
VPI Super
Scoutmaster 1,150,000 5,000 Yen
VPI Aries Scout 367,500 Yen
Synchronous
Drive system VPI SDS 231,000 Yen
Tone arm JMW-9 Memorial 189,000 Yen
JMW-9 Signature 294,000 Yen
Record cleaner VPI HW-16.5 134,400 Yen

VPI HR-X
 You handle with the turntable of VPI Industreis make, and 3 products which are started in each case have adopted belt drive drive. As for rotary speed 33.3/45rpm. As for cartridge selling separately.

Adopting the cabinet of various material laminating structure. Rigid structure you say that we are superior in damping characteristic, natural acquire the sound quality.

Adopting “HR-X” of the most significant model, 3 layer system which combines the acrylic, the aluminum and the acrylic in the cabinet. Balance of rigidity and internal loss is raised. The tone arm adopts “JMW-12.7 Memorial”.

With the 50mm thick acrylic make, using 2 AC synchronous motors of 24 poles 300rpm, it drives the turntable. In addition, the stainless steel make housing and the foot which combines the air suspension system were adopted, acoustic feedback to the cabinet was controlled substantially.

Furthermore, “VPI SDS” of motor speed control/the power source stabilization system belongs. Other than fine control of the rotary speed which utilizes the crystal transmitter which it builds in, the cleanup of power source is done, you say that efficiency of the motor is pulled out to the maximum.

VPI Super Scoutmaster VPI Aries Scout

Loading “VPI Super Scoutmaster” of the model, the 45mm thick acrylic make turntable between. Motor constitution has become common with HR-X. The cabinet adopts “JMW-9 Signature” to 3 layer system tone arm of MDF and the steel. Also VPI SDS belongs.

As for “VPI Aries Scout” entry model of series. With the acrylic make of 35mm, it drives the turntable with the AC synchronous motor of 12 poles 600rpm. As for tone arm “JMW-9 Memorial”.

Product VPI HR-X VPI Super
Scoutmaster VPI Aries Scout
Drive system Belt live
Turntable Acrylic
50mm thick Acrylic
45mm thick Acrylic
35mm thick
Cabinet Acrylic/aluminum/acrylic
3 layer MDF/steel /MDF
3 layer MDF/steel
2 layer
Rpm 33.3/45rpm
Suspension Air suspension
System Aluminum make conical spike
Motor 24 extremely, 300rpm
AC synchronous motor ×2
Flywheel attaching 12 extremely, 600rpm
AC synchronous motor
External size
(Width ## depth ## height) 650×495×254mm 559×356×229mm 483×356×178mm
Weight Approximately 52.5kg Approximately 40.8kg Approximately 14kg

VPI HW-16.5

“VPI SDS” of the power source stable system and, as for “JMW-9 Signature” of the tone arm and “JMW-9 Memorial”, single unit sale is done.

In addition, selling the record cleaner “VPI HW-16.5” of vacuum system. The private cleaner liquid after the applying, it inhales the minute dust and the soiling which enter into the groove of the disk in the record board and takes. Cleaning time approximately approximately 30 seconds.

I'm getting close....I'm really thinking about a Rega P7 or P9. Thoughts? Has anyone heard a Rega compared to a VPI?

TONEPUB maybe?

Try finding a used SOTA. There are a couple on Audiogon now. Great sound and super easy to set up. Like VPI, SOTA's are upgradeable.

I'm getting close....I'm really thinking about a Rega P7 or P9. Thoughts? Has anyone heard a Rega compared to a VPI?

TONEPUB maybe?

I dont have any authority in analog.... hope you find the table of your dreams, Jason.

Joey

TONEPUB maybe?

IMO and to my ears the two are very different sounding. The Rega's are more British sounding, focusing on the PRaT of the music, its emotional content and its ability to connect the listener to the experience. The VPIs I've heard (SSM/JMW 9 and Aries 3/JMW10.1) both with Benz Ebony carts are more details oriented IMO, focusing on the more audiophile aspects of the music, imaging, bass and recreation of space. You really need to listen to each TT that you are considering as their sound will appeal to you, or not, depending upon your listening preferences.

Keep in mind that all this is said by a devotee of the Linn LP12:music:

Check out the following thread on AA (VA) it is about this very topic.

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/67/678296.html

Last edited:
Well, I'm kind of a bad reference here because I use three tables:

SME 10 w/SMEV and MoFi 3.5C (myabi) cart. This setup has the most detail of anything I own. When I have that perfect recording, this is the table I use.

Oracle Delphi V w/SME iv.Vi arm and Grado Statement cart. This is my "romantic" setup and I use this with the Hagerman Trumpet phono stage.
Any records that are a bit harsh, edgy or compressed get played here. The Grado is a really lush cartridge and is very musical. It's kind of like a McIntosh 275, makes everything sound great, but is not the last word in detail.

Rega P9 w/Shelter 90x This is kind of my daily driver table. When I want good sound and dont want to dink around with clamps, etc I go to the Rega. it's a nice balance between the two and is very easy to setup.

The Rega and the SME go through the ASR Basis Exclusive phono stage.

I use the SME arms because for me, they offer up a very good balance between detail and musicality, plus they are easy (and repeatable) to setup. There are other things that offer a little more, but the SME's work well for me. Same with the P9, great table easy setup.

The question I would ask yourself, is how much of a tweaky analog guy do you want to be? How much patience for this do you have? I do this every day and I'd almost rather go to the dentist than agonize over VTA. If that's you, consider the P9, it is quite good and considerably better than all the other Regas. (I've owned em all...)

The Linn is a great table, but I did not have the skills or patience for it. I have heard them set up right and they are very musical indeed.

I'm just not a VPI fan at all. I do not want to put out any disrespect for VPI because a lot of people love them. But for me its just never clicked.

I also have an AVID Volvere in my second system and it sounds a lot like the Oracle and is a little bit easier to setup. Another solid contender...

I hope that helped somewhat....

IMO and to my ears the two are very different sounding. The Rega's are more British sounding, focusing on the PRaT of the music, its emotional content and its ability to connect the listener to the experience. The VPIs I've heard (SSM/JMW 9 and Aries 3/JMW10.1) both with Benz Ebony carts are more details oriented IMO, focusing on the more audiophile aspects of the music, imaging, bass and recreation of space. You really need to listen to each TT that you are considering as their sound will appeal to you, or not, depending upon your listening preferences.

Keep in mind that all this is said by a devotee of the Linn LP12:music:

The P9 is a really different animal... Way more bass and detail than I've ever experienced with past regas. Not quite as musical as the LP-12, but darn good and super easy to set up.

If you have a friend or dealer that can set up an LP-12 properly, dont count it out either. It really is a magical table if dialed in!!

The P9 is a really different animal... Way more bass and detail than I've ever experienced with past regas. Not quite as musical as the LP-12, but darn good and super easy to set up.

If you have a friend or dealer that can set up an LP-12 properly, dont count it out either. It really is a magical table if dialed in!!

The Linn is NOT THAT HARD TO SET UP CORRECTLY, let me repeat that the Linn is not that hard to set up correctly. Despite all the horror stories one hears a person with two left hands can do it in an hour and do it perfectly in an hour and one-half. When I was shown how to set one up from the box, I did it in about two hours, it now takes about 30 minutes and if you tighten things properly it will stay set-up for a long time. I have also set up Oracles and Thorens etc and the Linn is not the easiest (Oracle) but it is simple and fun. I did have to build a set-up jig as the table is worked on from the bottom but two stacks of books will work just as well.

I agree completely re: the P9, far and away the best Rega!

Check out the VinylEngine Http://www.vinylengine.com for detailed setup instructions for a number of different tables. Ah! the joys of analog:D

Well, I'm kind of a bad reference here because I use three tables:

SME 10 w/SMEV and MoFi 3.5C (myabi) cart. This setup has the most detail of anything I own. When I have that perfect recording, this is the table I use.

Oracle Delphi V w/SME iv.Vi arm and Grado Statement cart. This is my "romantic" setup and I use this with the Hagerman Trumpet phono stage.
Any records that are a bit harsh, edgy or compressed get played here. The Grado is a really lush cartridge and is very musical. It's kind of like a McIntosh 275, makes everything sound great, but is not the last word in detail.

Rega P9 w/Shelter 90x This is kind of my daily driver table. When I want good sound and dont want to dink around with clamps, etc I go to the Rega. it's a nice balance between the two and is very easy to setup.

The Rega and the SME go through the ASR Basis Exclusive phono stage.

I use the SME arms because for me, they offer up a very good balance between detail and musicality, plus they are easy (and repeatable) to setup. There are other things that offer a little more, but the SME's work well for me. Same with the P9, great table easy setup.

The question I would ask yourself, is how much of a tweaky analog guy do you want to be? How much patience for this do you have? I do this every day and I'd almost rather go to the dentist than agonize over VTA. If that's you, consider the P9, it is quite good and considerably better than all the other Regas. (I've owned em all...)

The Linn is a great table, but I did not have the skills or patience for it. I have heard them set up right and they are very musical indeed.

I'm just not a VPI fan at all. I do not want to put out any disrespect for VPI because a lot of people love them. But for me its just never clicked.

I also have an AVID Volvere in my second system and it sounds a lot like the Oracle and is a little bit easier to setup. Another solid contender...

I hope that helped somewhat....

OK. My latest is the Sota Nova with this arm http://www.tonearm.co.uk/silver-tonearm.htm

Thoughts anyone???

Question for all you vinyl heads

ML Amigos,

For better or worse, gave up on vinyl along time ago once CD sound started "getting close" to the sound of vinyl. When I last tried, I found that my system (read speaker position) would need to set for either vinyl or CD.

Appreciate anyones comments / insights on this issue. To state it bluntly, have you experienced this anamoly and, assuming you have, how have you addressed this issue?

FWIW, I've spoken with other folks that feel the same way, as in tune your system for digits or analogue.

GG

Back