What's the difference between Summit and Summit X?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
So what's the real audible difference between the two?

I've had the regular Summits before and would like to know how it stacks up to the X...

Listened to the Wilson Alexia today - blew me away.... on how much money it costs and the sound was not particularly any more enjoyable than I recalled with my old system. Go figure.

Listen to the new Montis. The new xover makes a lot of difference. Then try the X.

Better bass integration in both.

J

Difference between Summit and Summit X? About five grand, brand new. :)

Beyond that, pretty minimal.

Hola Joey. Welcome back! The real difference is at the crossover, and the bass drivers. Same stat panel. There is no kit to up-dated Summit to Summit X, because there are so many little details, that it is better to get the new ones. Sound over all? To my ears, Summit X have better bass integration, and less bass cabinet resonance, so detail is improve and definition too. Also, you can use them in smaller rooms. Ask Mr. Peter Soderberg his thoughts regarding this! Happy listening!

I was told that the difference is so minimal and that I should NOT replace my (your) Summits with the Summit X.

I have listened to Audioseduction member here (George) Summit x based system. The X's replaced a pair of non X Summits.
I was impressed at how much more precise imaging they achieved particularly if you are sitting outside of the sweet spot. To me they seemed much more dynamic with cleaner bass to mid-range transition.
Unless they are going into a HT system I can't see needing subs either. George's system has amazing lowend without any.
I think if you liked your Summits you will love Summit X's.

Whether it is worth a $5000 -8000 upgrade for current Summit owners is a personal call.

I have had both in the same system in the same room. The Summit X is better in mid/upper bass and was a bit more forward (perhaps just newer panels?).

I have had both in the same system in the same room. The Summit X is better in mid/upper bass and was a bit more forward (perhaps just newer panels?).

I think that's all I need to know... I remember that mid bass, upper bass was a fault I noted in my Summits before.

Can't wait... new room, perhaps a return of the Summits.

When it is all set up, Joey, invite Rich round to take some system shots.

I heard he's very good at it.

Indeed. Doctors - charge special rates, pay special rates. Kind of a yin yang:)

Anyway Joey - wishing you best of luck getting things right. I love the luxury of my own music room. Sure you will too!

Thanks my friend... hopefully we get this right.

Indeed. Doctors - charge special rates, pay special rates. Kind of a yin yang:)

Anyway Joey - wishing you best of luck getting things right. I love the luxury of my own music room. Sure you will too!

Justin, I used to have my own music room (above the garage) and really loved it, but I also love to cook, and missed my music while cooking. My "music room" is now my living room, right next to my open kitchen, and I'm enjoying the best of both worlds.

Mine is just next to my kitchen, Bernard, facilitating easy access to glasses of port and nibbles of cheese. Actually, the main problem with a good listening room is spending time with the wife - wives just don't seem to sound as good/convincing as a good listening room does:D:):devil::rocker:

Re Summit versus Summit X - I'd just get some Summits and save the money TBH for elsewhere in the system.

So the improvement lies in the crossover only (between Summit X and Summit)? Or is the airframe/stator improved and do they use better woofers?

I would suspect that there are probably minor changes, but they look the same side by side.

Back