What's best for your panels?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huey

Reaction score
I want my Aerius speakers to last me for many years to come. I read somewhere that it is best for the membrane to unplug the speakers after listening, and not leave them connected to the wall socket.

What is best??

Thx Huey

I want my Aerius speakers to last me for many years to come. I read somewhere that it is best for the membrane to unplug the speakers after listening, and not leave them connected to the wall socket.

What is best??

Thx Huey

Keep them clean and free of pet hair, smoke and other contaminents first of all.

I am not sure but I believe your Aerius speakers have a power supply that automatically shuts off power when no signal is presented. If that is the case you do not need to unplug them. My Quests did not have this but I had the power supplies changed to do this. This make a huge difference as the panel is no longer charged and will not draw dust to them.

Vacum at least once a month and I cover mine when not in use. My wife made me what I call the "Quest Condom" which is a stretch material that goes over the panel and keeps dust out. Very inexpensive but very effective! Just make sure they are not the "ribbed" kind! ;)

First thing you need to do however if not already done is to change your panels if they are original as the Aerius is not a new model and then you can do the things I have outlined for at least a good 15 years of service easily if not more.

Regards

Thanks for the advice.

We have no pets and people don't smoke in the house. We have a tile floor so very little dust, but I do vacuum them once every 2 months. Now all I need to know is if they automatically switch off.

no need to unplug

For the final word contact JP@ml. I think the newer models only power up when music is applied. Thus no need to unplug.
Gregadd

Check your serial number - I believe the Aerius had auto-shutdown from a certain date forward, around 1994 if I remember correctly.

Regarding the Quest-Condom - just make sure it is out of a lint free material - the newer models such as my Vista come with covers which is handy.

Also don't let the sun shine on them to avoid long-term UV damage. A cover can definitely help in the long-term.

With plastics in general, I'd say the most harm is caused by UV light and airborne contaminants like cooking fumes, cigarette smoke, and other air pollution. I don't believe humidity on its own is such a problem with the coating on our ESLs, except as a carrier of the other stuff.

I believe Tosh hit the nail on the head. Note that I've had my Aeriuses since 1995 and last year was the first time I ever vacuumed them. I've since done that a few times, but it hasn't really been necessary; more of a preventative thing. In the right space, with the right gear, the Aeriuses sound great.

can you buy just one panel or do you have to buy in pairs?
will ML sell direct if you're in the US ? how much would a Spire
panel cost right now?

They sell them only in pairs. I think they build them as matched pairs. I wouldn't recommend replacing just one panel, especially if your replacing them due to age.

Thanks for the input guys, My Aerius had new panels when I bought them 2 years ago, as I said we have no pets and no smokng indoors is allowed, the aeruis' are luckily in an area of the room where the sun never shines :cool:

Have sent email to ML, so thx for that tip as well.

Back