What Makes ML So Special??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the previous posts.

In addition, their is just something about the ML speakers they sound better... :D The ML sound is vastly superior and I think it is difinatly due to the curved ESL design combined with the hybrid designed electronics, cone speaker integration cullmenating to produce ~ fluidly ultrasonically revealing peaks while at the same time seamlessly providing smooth / mellow tonal depth to perfection on the low end of the sonic scale. I have never heard anything better for the same amount of money. ;)

They sound different. It's hard to say which is better.

They sound different. It's hard to say which is better.

Definitely they all sound different, but "better" is a subjective opinion based on those differences. Personally, I would have to agree with Robin on most parts.

I just wanted to add that its cool to see a group that love their speakers so much... :rocker:

I just wanted to add that its cool to see a group that love their speakers so much..

We love *everything* we own so much, because most of us, when asked to divide their age by 4 come out with a number bigger than 10, and this often means we took a long journey to reach the platforms we're preaching off. Most of us are quite sure of having "the best" around them, may it be cars, loudspeakers, places visited, computer platform used, you name it. What unites us is that one of these choices happens to be Martin Logan speakers, and this is where our zealotry unites us - a healthy fundamentalism - which we tend to forget as soon as we try to expand our need to establish further "me too's" into other realms...it's the same engine, however. The engine that pushes us to wave the ML flag is the same that moves our arm holding the Apple or Windows flag, or makes some shout out loud "go bears" - same mechanism. With such a long path behind us, we are what we chose at different turning points in life, an obviously we try to defend these choices, as they represent us - we are our past.

Last edited:
It's all about the sound.

I first fell in love with the sound *before* I saw the speaker, having heard it from down the hall in another room. That's how good they are.

Never been disappointed in them.

Yes they're finicky in various ways, but so is my wife, and I wouldn't trade her in either ;)

You easily build a long-term relationship with these speakers because they sound so great.

We love *everything* we own so much, because most of us, when asked to divide their age by 4 come out with a number bigger than 10, and this often means we took a long journey to reach the platforms we're preaching off.

I get 6.

And I'm not anxious to add more to that number.... I like being a kid... must... slow... time....

On a more serious note, I like ML because I've always wanted an ML. I remember about 4 years ago, I saw the quicktime video of the Clarity, and I decided that the Clarity was the speaker I was going to get after I graduated MD... mostly because it looks cool and it was ML. I was off.

I feel that ML have a sound all their own (whether it be an ESL thing), good transparency throughout the range AND bass!!! ML can be played loud, while even the newest Quads cant. It can charge a room far easier than even the biggest Maggies can. It may not have the overall killer instinct of a SoundLab A1, but the ML doesnt have that space requirement either. It may not have the drop dead killer midbass of the Sonus Faber Amati Anniversarios, but none of the MLs cost $30,000 either.

It's a great sound for what I like - acoustics and vocals. MLs, for me, give me the best sound I can afford.... and if I had to stop at the Summits, I would be perfectly content at purely upgrading only the electronics until my audiophile days are over... and that's the best compliment this upgrading maniac can give.

Joey

Last edited:

Attachments

• Odyssey Speakers.jpg
    Odyssey Speakers.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 167
Joey,

Man - this may be the very last year you and I can enjoy the title of being a 'kid'! We gotta live this year up !!! Maybe we can meet up sometime this year (time allowing).. before we are officially "grown up". eeww, I just hate uttering those words.

Man, got my ears on the Prods again. Its real nice stuff, but in all honesty... I've got absolutely no desire to replace what I've got. But someday my friend, someday...

Did anyone mention the uncomprimised...impeccable...customer service?

I love that I can call ML direct and get a straight answer without the annoying phone prompts. I almost "sharted" the first time I called and a human answered right away!LOL

Dominick

Age has been discussed a bit here. I'm 25, and I have no problem telling why I just bought ML ReQuests. That was the sound quality! But, had it not been for the fact that I first got the chance to listen to a pair of ML Vantage's, I would never have know how fantastic they sounded. So of course availibility is a factor in this. Marketing of the product didn't mean anything to me, just the fact that I could listen to it, and that it sounded so good!

Actually I would like to ask another question. Why isn't ML's much more popular? In my opinion they sound way better than other dynamic speakers in the same price range. Yet so few have them compared to the vast number of people that spend way to big ammounts of money on B&W for example.

Back