What Makes ML So Special??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thai

Reaction score
Hey all,

What is so special about Martin Logan speakers?? There are other electrostatic hybrid speakers out there (like Innersound). But what makes our ML ESL so popular and good (if at all) over those "other" guys?? From reading, i can see how our ML ESLs provide better dispersion than Innersound due to our curved ESL panel...however, i read that curved panels decrease detail.

So, what makes ML better (if at all) over the other ESLs?? What makes our hybrid design better??

Thanks in advance.

BTW, i am sorry if this question has been asked...i searched and found no answer.

1) They sound better.

2) they look SOOOOOO cool.

3) They play into the Audiophile Tweeker mentality, because they are finickey to placement, hard to drive, and VERY revealing of all other components up-line.

That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it.

--Richard

I think availability, marketing, and brand recognition among audiophiles. But moreso than that, I think it's design AND engineering.

ML is just so good and so well endowed in their implementation of the hybrid design.

Are there better ESLs? Probably, but you wouldnt know it when you're listening to a pair of Summits.

Now that ML is on their Nth generation design, they've REALLY got it down pat. Most other electrostatic manufacturers don't have that depth of experience, and variety of models.

Excellent perfomance for the price, coupled with a nod to practicality that gives better real-world performance.

The cost of manufacturing an electrostatic speaker is immense. Maintaining a massive inventory takes it to a whole other level. Martin Logan was essentially the first, and really the only one to succeed in doing it to such a main-stream level. Savvy business sense, along with the right marketing and promotional moves have all come together to create the most popular unconventional (box-less) speaker manufacturer on the planet.

Their very unique look, name, sonic attributes, and accessibility – they attract many folks (such as all of you fan-boys) world-over.

The odds are very likely there will be no directly competing brands in the near-future. Most other brands have decided to stick within the esoteric niche. For them, its simply easier and moreover – cheaper to keep it that way.

This is what i don't get...most people think that ML's are expensive. However, when you take a real close look, then you will see that they are fairly priced. For example, Paradigm Signature S8's cost a good $6000, while my Vantages are around $4K when i bought them. And i thought that the Vantages are definitely just as good (if not slightly better) than the S8's.

This is what i don't get...most people think that ML's are expensive. However, when you take a real close look, then you will see that they are fairly priced. For example, Paradigm Signature S8's cost a good $6000, while my Vantages are around $4K when i bought them. And i thought that the Vantages are definitely just as good (if not slightly better) than the S8's.

Just one of the benefits to those who take the time to look and listen...you get MORE than you pay for with ML speakers! Not to mention unusual works of art if you will! When people come to my house they are just mezmerized by these speakers the first time they see them, and when they hear them they are blown away!

Has anyone compared MLs with other ESLs??

Almost but not exactly. I have both ML Summits and some Maggies. The Maggies are really "planar magnetic" vs true esl. The Summits are far more refined and balanced sounding, with superior low end due to the well integrated cone driver subwoofers.

I agree and I will go as far as saying that the S8 dont hold a candle (S8, first gen) to the Vantage.

I know that the guy I bought my ML Summits from upgraded to the $21,000 Innersound Kaya Reference ESLs. I didnt get to hear them as they arrived broken by shipment. Probably not the most fair comparison since the other ESL cost 2x the Summit.

availability and marketing.

Honestly speaking, I think that is it in a nutshell. Yes, they sound great and they are beautifully engineered, but they are so popular due to availability and marketing. I have no doubt that Innersound, Quad, Magnepan and others make great speakers. Lots of people seem to think so. But I can't go anywhere within a hundred miles to audition them. There are two places in town I can go to audition Martin Logans. Are they really "better" than those other brands? I have no idea because I haven't had the opportunity to compare them. I own Martin Logans primarily because they are the best speakers that are available locally and I don't feel like driving all over the southeast to compare different brands.

What makes ML special to ME....

1. How they sound. Sheer magic. That's what got me hooked back in the late 80s when I heard the CLS, Sequel and Monolith.

2. The superb customer support that MartinLogan gives it's customers. Second to none!

3. Looks? Hmm. I like how they look, but that isn't what made me buy them.

I am very certain that all the other brands mentioned in earlier posts are fine sounding speakers, but to be quite honest, I have not felt the need to go audition any of them. In 87 when I bought my sequels, my plan was to get Maggies.... I auditioned them and liked what I heard, but as soon as I heard the Sequels, it was over.

Last edited:
What makes ML So Special....?? Let Me See Now....

I agree with the previous posts.

In addition, their is just something about the ML speakers they sound better... :D The ML sound is vastly superior and I think it is difinatly due to the curved ESL design combined with the hybrid designed electronics, cone speaker integration cullmenating to produce ~ fluidly ultrasonically revealing peaks while at the same time seamlessly providing smooth / mellow tonal depth to perfection on the low end of the sonic scale. I have never heard anything better for the same amount of money. ;)

Let's not forget that they are the only ones having curved panels. Probably very strongly patented so nobody else can ever dream of trying that ;)
I thought some of the Sound Labs were curved too? Maybe it is the 30 degree that is patented?

Dan

Back