What is your Speaker/Amplifier combination?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ascent i

Sunfire Cinema Grand 400x7. Bi-amping the Ascent's off the fron and suround back channels of the amp.

While the preamp needs to be turned up considerably further then it had to running the RF-7s (102db efficient) that the Ascent's replaces, it still gets plenty loud.

As far as amplification I think I'm set for the moment. Waiting to sell the rest of my Klipsch system so I can buy a ML center, a pair of scripts, and maybe a descent or depth.

Hey there - I do the same with my odysseys. I bi-amp with a sunfire cinema grand signature. Tell me - have you ever listened non-bi-amped? I have not. If you have - can you tell me any noticeable diff between bi-amping and non-biamping? thx. tim.

Truthfully I have not listened to them not bi-amped. I had my RF-7s biamped and when I replaced them with the Ascents, I just unplugged the Klipsch and plugged in the MLs. I've been meaning to give it a shot, but haven't gotten around to it.

Also, which version do you have? The origional Signature Seven or the updated one with the new powersupply? The new update came in 2001.

Truthfully I have not listened to them not bi-amped. I had my RF-7s biamped and when I replaced them with the Ascents, I just unplugged the Klipsch and plugged in the MLs. I've been meaning to give it a shot, but haven't gotten around to it.

Also, which version do you have? The origional Signature Seven or the updated one with the new powersupply? The new update came in 2001.

I have the updated one (mk II) - however was unaware of the new power supply.... I think -- I do not have the 7 channel -- it is the signature 5 channel ... with a version of Mk II on it... I do believe...

My system is very simple PS Audio ps200cx, and recently updated Aerius. (ie. new pannels and caps) The front end is a Mac mini into a Cal Audio Labs Sigma II tube dac, and an Audio Experiance tube pre. My sub is on the way, a gift from my father I know very little about, The subwoofer is a Focal Jm Labs SW33a.

1. What speaker are you using in your current listening or multi-channel, or surround sound system.

Monoliths, Sequel II’s and custom Center, the SL3XC see links in Sig for details.

2. What type of Amp: tube, hybrid, solid state, Class A, A/B, D, first watt, flea, mega watt...

Massively over-amped system with 15 independent channels of amplification driving active crossovers and custom sub. Again see sig for insanity certification…
Amps are Sunfire for the ML duties, solid state and class G (sort of), with total output of (5x800@4ohms)+(5x200)+(2x200)+1200+1000= 7,400 watts

3. Are you happy with the power capability or SPL (Sound Pressure Level) that you obtain with your current combination?

I can peel an apple at 20 feet, I can make your ears bleed in 10 seconds. Yes it’s loud. Sustained 108 dB SPL 20 to 18Khz with very, very low distortion.
Peaks of 115 dB Spl have been measured :eek:

4. Are you considering an upgrade, if so what?

Upgrade to what? :devil:

Peaks of 115 dB Spl have been measured :eek:

Jon....115...!!!:rocker:

Holly decibels Batman.......(The Caped Crusader turns and looks at his sidekick) "What?!"

...and all this with Logans folks!!!

Speakers, amps, SPL and upgrade

Summits as main speakers powered by Pass X350.5
Stage as center and Script i's as surround powered by Pass X-3
Descent i's (2) in front and Descents (2) in the rear.
I have owned Pass amplifiers for more than 10 years beginning with Aleph 2's. They are very reliable and have no problem with difficult loads. What I like about the entire Pass line is that they run as Class A in the normal listening levels which give them a "tube"-like quality without the pain of dealing with tubes (yes, I have owned tube equipment).
SPL: I listen mostly in the 85 - 90 db range which is more than enough for my listening distance of 10'.
Upgrades: Am considering getting a front projection video system as soon as high gain screens can deal with ambient light effectively (do not like the "dark room" business). As I have two turntables, 3 tape decks, two DVD and 1 dcs stack, two tuners, and 4 power line distributors in my system, there just isn't room for any more equipment.

Summits as main speakers powered by Pass X350.5
Stage as center and Script i's as surround powered by Pass X-3
Descent i's (2) in front and Descents (2) in the rear.
I have owned Pass amplifiers for more than 10 years beginning with Aleph 2's. They are very reliable and have no problem with difficult loads. What I like about the entire Pass line is that they run as Class A in the normal listening levels which give them a "tube"-like quality without the pain of dealing with tubes (yes, I have owned tube equipment).
SPL: I listen mostly in the 85 - 90 db range which is more than enough for my listening distance of 10'.
Upgrades: Am considering getting a front projection video system as soon as high gain screens can deal with ambient light effectively (do not like the "dark room" business). As I have two turntables, 3 tape decks, two DVD and 1 dcs stack, two tuners, and 4 power line distributors in my system, there just isn't room for any more equipment.

What are you using for a preamp, and how are your four Descents configured (crossover points and slope)? Do you find that the Summits need that much bass reinforcement?
My setup is similiar; 5.4 running ReQuests in all four corners with a matching Descent (original, not i's). Preamp is CB3 fitted with four sub DACs allowing independent control over each sub (vs. normal daisy chain HT configuration). I've always felt the ReQuests needed help in the lower range and the Descents compliment them well.
Since I am always tinkering with the sub settings I figured I'd ask how you are managing yours.

Tj

1. CLS with Depth Sub 2. Classe CA-400 A-A/B 400w/8 ohms, 800w/4ohms 3. Quite pleased 4. Would love to try some large AtmaSphere OTLs.​

Back