What is your Speaker/Amplifier combination?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1: Copland CTA-305 / Classé CA-101 and ML Vista.
2: Solid state class AB with valve preamp (Class A)
3: Totally happy
4: Maybe to another CA-101 and bridge them mono? There are other upgrades first though, such as the source. (click below).

Last edited:
1. What speaker are you using in your current listening or multi-channel, or surround sound system.

Sequel II

2. What type of Amp: tube, hybrid, solid state, Class A, A/B, D, first watt, flea, mega watt...

Forte 6a, SS, High-Bias A/B.

220w at 8ohm
360w at 4ohm

3. Are you happy with the power capability or SPL (Sound Pressure Level) that you obtain with your current combination?

More than happy, in my 15'x22'x8' room it gets more than loud enough.

4. Are you considering an upgrade, if so what?

Yes, I want to try some Bi-Amplification.

#4 - Not anytime soon, unless someone wants to give me their
Summitt's !!

Dave, I would do the same, however my ReQuests would go to the rear for the surrounds!

Yes, I want to try some Bi-Amplification.

Beat, I'd like to try this also but way out in the future sometime!

Looks like most people are running around 200 watts or better for the most part.
Sam

1.Modwright swl 9.0, Classe ca200, Aeon i
2.class AB solid state
3.Plenty o' Beef!
4.Pass Labs or Plinius and of course Summits.

As for biamping, I just went from using 2 adcom gfa5500's biamped to using 1 Classe ca200 and improved my sound quite a bit. I guess my point is quality over quantity. The same money spent on 2 amps maybe better spent on 1 amp.
I also went to using 1 adcom while waiting for the classe to arive and actually prefered that to biamping. It seems that the bass, while definately more solid with two amps, was overpowering the panels a tad to much, so if you do biamp, I believe some sort of volume control is needed even if the amps are identical. I would recomend anyone who is biamping without some kind of control to go back to 1 amp for a while and see what you think.

Last edited:
As for biamping, I just went from using 2 adcom gfa5500's biamped to using 1 Classe ca200 and improved my sound quite a bit. I guess my point is quality over quantity. The same money spent on 2 amps maybe better spent on 1 amp.
I also went to using 1 adcom while waiting for the classe to arive and actually prefered that to biamping. It seems that the bass, while definately more solid with two amps, was overpowering the panels a tad to much, so if you do biamp, I believe some sort of volume control is needed even if the amps are identical. I would recomend anyone who is biamping without some kind of control to go back to 1 amp for a while and see what you think.

Interesting comment mrmike,

I can understand your comment clearly when you mention that the new stereo amp is a higher quality and provides better sound reporduction than two pairs of stereo amps of lesser quality!

The obvious next level would be to add another quality amplifier to go back to Biamping. For me there are a few other upgrades I want to make before plunking down big bucks for another (second) amplifier and so eventually that will come. First amp upgrade will come in a few months, then on to other equipment. When I run out of things to spend my hard earned money on, I will consider an additional amplifier!

1. What speaker are you using in your current listening or multi-channel, or surround sound system.

Summit.

2. What type of Amp: tube, hybrid, solid state, Class A, A/B, D, first watt, flea, mega watt...

Currently using an Acoustic Research LS26 Mk2 tube pre amp and a Proceed BPA (I've retired my Classe Model 25 due to excessive transformer hum). The Proceed is essentially a Mark Levinson product and is rated at 125watts p/c into 8 oms which doubles into lower impedances. The combination with the ARC is very good.

3. Are you happy with the power capability or SPL (Sound Pressure Level) that you obtain with your current combination?

I'm more than happy with the spl's I get from my amp/speaker combination. I hardly notice the difference in power output from my previous Classe which was rated at 250 watts p/c.

Yes. Like everyone here, I'm always considering possibilities. I wouldn't mind trying tubes - maybe an ARC model. I like the ARC VS55 and the VS110. But I might be stretching the friendship if I tried running the Summits with the VS55. 50 watts of tube power might not be enough to satisfy the Summits.

Last edited:

Summit.

Currently using an Acoustic Research LS26 Mk2 tube pre amp and a Proceed BPA (I've retired my Classe Model 25 due to excessive transformer hum). The Proceed is essentially a Mark Levinson product and is rated at 125watts p/c into 8 oms which doubles into lower impedances. The combination with the ARC is very good.

I'm more than happy with the spl's I get from my amp/speaker combination. I hardly notice the difference in power output from my previous Classe which was rated at 250 watts p/c.

Yes. Like everyone here, I'm always considering possibilities. I wouldn't mind trying tubes - maybe an ARC model. I like the ARC VS55 and the VS110. But I might be stretching the friendship if I tried running the Summits with the VS55. 50 watts of tube power might not be enough to satisfy the Summits.
I didn't know there was an LS 26 II already! As for the VS 55, it would probably be OK due to the powered woofers.

Maybe an LS-25 MkII, but not an LS-26 that I know of. Probably an honest mistake.

I'd love to update to an LS-26 myself...but first got to build the new two car Garage, then the Amplifier, then the CD transport/DAC, then the Turntable....joey, joey, joey...[I, I, I, I, I...(Phsyco Killer (On the run), The Talkin Heads)]

Maybe an LS-25 MkII, but not an LS-26 that I know of. Probably an honest mistake.

I'd love to update to an LS-26 myself...but first got to build the new two car Garage, then the Amplifier, then the CD transport/DAC, then the Turntable....joey, joey, joey...[I, I, I, I, I...(Phsyco Killer (On the run), The Talkin Heads)]

Sorry guys, a typo. I've got an LS25 MkII.

LS-25 MkII is a real nice piece of gear Edwin! I drooled over the idea of owning one someday but could not fork out the cash for a brand new unit. Earlier on, I opted for the LS-15 at the time and stayed with that as my front end. I watched as the LS-15 was replaced by the LS-16 the difference being the capability to loop in a outboard processor. Eventually I will upgrade the preamp, by then who knows what will be out there for sale used or new...?

Acoustic Research???

LOL! Man am I having a bad week.

Last Thursday I was feeling a bit... queasy. So instead of working back like I usually do, I went home about 5pm. I started feeling worse that evening and I got the 'runs' so bad I couldn't stop (sorry guys :stop:). Next day being Friday I was still at it and I got bad stomach cramps. That night I got so badly dehydrated that I passed out and my wife called an ambulance. So I spent the night in hospital being rehydrated. I was released from hospital the following day and since then it's eased off - but I've still got it. Yuck. So I'm taking this Lomotil and other stuff for nausea and cramps but I'm still not quite with it. It was/is one of the worst viruses I've ever had...

:cool: Edwin,
Get well soon.
I think even though Joey will be a praticing doctor soon it would be too expensive to make a house call. He may fix your ailment but give you another! Who knows what you would get and eventually buy! :eek:
:D

Jeff:cool:

Edwin,
Get well soon.
I think even though Joey will be a praticing doctor soon it would be too expensive to make a house call. He may fix your ailment but give you another! Who knows what you would get and eventually buy! :eek:

Jeff

Dudes,

When I do become a practicing doctor, I will be willing to do internet-house-calls for you friends. I can probably even send a prescription to your pharmacist by that time.

Not much longer peeps...

I just ask one thing, no one better do that malpractice thing on me.. or else... :mad: :mad: :D .

Joey

Edwin, "Montezumas Revenge", "Tennessee Turkey Trots", call it what you want, not the ideal way to loose a few pounds. Hope your feeling better, lay low and listen to your Logans !!

Ascent i

Sunfire Cinema Grand 400x7. Bi-amping the Ascent's off the fron and suround back channels of the amp.

While the preamp needs to be turned up considerably further then it had to running the RF-7s (102db efficient) that the Ascent's replaces, it still gets plenty loud.

As far as amplification I think I'm set for the moment. Waiting to sell the rest of my Klipsch system so I can buy a ML center, a pair of scripts, and maybe a descent or depth.

Back