What is your Speaker/Amplifier combination?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
medium powered tubes

I run Aeon I's with the Cary SLI-80. Just enough umph to put out an adequate SPL. I have an M&K V2B to boost the bottom a little. I used to run high power SS but I am happy with the warmth and depth of the Cary. I wish they made higher powered gear though.

The Clarity's with TAD-1000 tube monos @100wpc in UL or 50wpc in triode. I also use (in the summer heat) a PS Audio 100C 200wpc into 4 ohms. Both are class A/AB amps.
Great drive and SPL's with both amps. No upgrades are planned. I would have to spend 6-8K to materially improve on the TAD's.

I biamp the SL3s, wouldn't have it any other way:
Musical Fidelity X-AS100 for the woofers (100wpc @ 8ohms, 200wpc@4ohms)
Musical Fidelity X-A200 monoblocs for the panels (200w@8ohms, 400w@4ohms)
Another pair of monoblocks for the KellyKT2 speakers playing parallel to the MLs (sadly they are needed, even in an average-sized room)
Mercifully the preamp has enough oomph to drive all these lengths of interconnects. (about 3W classA it pumps out).
The DIY sub has it's own amp 500w@4ohms
Centre and surround channels 100w

1. What speaker are you using in your current listening or multi-channel, or surround sound system.
Sam

Prodigy

2. What type of Amp: tube, hybrid, solid state, Class A, A/B, D, first watt, flea, mega watt...
Sam

Moscode 600 (recently modified to near Moscode 401) hybrid, Class A/B, 300 into 8 ohms, 500 into 4. Connected through Zero autoformers.

3. Are you happy with the power capability or SPL (Sound Pressure Level) that you obtain with your current combination?
Sam

Absolutely! Nearfield listening.

4. Are you considering an upgrade, if so what?
Sam

Yes, second (owned) moscode upgrade to level of current amp and then run dual mono bridged (approx. 1000 watts per channel for instantanious peaks)

My babies

Due to the size and shape of the listening room, I run a pair of Clarities in 2-channel stereo.

To drive them properly I'm running a Meridian 557 power amp and Meridian 502 pre-amp.

SPL - I haven't measured it, but I never run it much past around 86 dB anyway!

Cheers,

David

1. ML ReQuests in a stereo set-up. Well I do have a ML Cinema center channel set-up, but I rarely turn it on. Come to think of it, I probably turned on the center channel using Meridian TriField less than 5 times in the last 3 years!
  2. Bi-Amping (Passively). Tube AES SixPacs monoblocs on the panels (medium power @ 50wpc). Classe' CA-300 (300wpc) handling bass duty.
  3. Here's my recent post where I did some measurements... Upgrading Summits Overall, I'm very happy with my system. It's NOT the SPL that counts, but rather the sonic quality and musicality that I'm after (and achieved).
  4. I'd like to upgrade my digital source, but I have not found that perfect front-end component yet! The current format war does not help at all!

Spike

2xclarities, 1xdynamo, yamaha 1600 receiver.

Upgrading soon, still not quite sure to what. Probably 2xvantage/stage/2xfresco/descent i with a krell amp (maybe showcase).

1. ML Summits
2. Cary Audio SLP-98L tube preamp
3. Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier (with a/b bias switch!)
4. DAC is in the mail...!

Here's mine. :D

Fully restored Columbia Grafophone cylinder phonograph

cylinder-241x309.jpg

Last edited:
Prodigy on a Rotel RB1090 and 380wpc into 8ohms and a WHOPING 700wpc into 4 ohms...stable all the way down to 2 ohms. Runs class A/B.

All the rest of the HT system on the RMB1095 at 200wpc. into 8 ohms 330wpc into 4 ohms. Also a class A/B.

I really do like all the Rotel gear. I would call it a bit analytical maybe, or a bit dry, and I would prefer something a little warmer and a bit TUBEY maybe. I will probably try some MBL monoblocks (either 8011AM or 9007) to go with the new 101a speakers, but that will have to wait awhile...I need to pay some bills incured due to Joeyitis! :D

Summits with ARC Ref-3 into Classe CA-400 - 400watts 8Ohm 800watts 4Ohm I gotta figure close to 1600watts 2Ohm:eek: Will replace with ARC VTM200 or Ref 110

Last edited:
A little to much coffee...

It's NOT the SPL that counts, but rather the sonic quality and musicality that I'm after (and achieved).

I agree that it's the sonics and musicality that matter most however I do like to enjoy certain tracks (not all) at levels which seem realistic as if performer was right there playing or singing. At times I put myself out of the image and think about how loud that acoustic solo would really be if I were a certain distance. I compare that to what I am hearing and try to duplicate the level. I'm not talking ear splitting chronic tinitus creating levels, but track long levels of a satisfactory level that is convincing.

Trying to obtain a real snare drum transient or percussive reproduction is not possible with my current line-up of gear and it really depends on "where" the recording engineer put it in the mix. For other types of music and vocal tracks there is a close approximation that can make me feel the reverberation of the harmonics or lower fundamental frequencies in my "chest or feet" and that to me adds a whole level to the realism created by the system. Or for instance a percussive attack on a piano which could be quite loud even un amplified as in a live performance from about twenty or so feet from the player.

One of the reasons I started this thread to see just how people are sitting with their systems and what equipment is involved to make this conclusion. Lugano also has a link to his database of members systems that was started about two or three months ago. Use the following link provided. Once there, go down about halfway on the first page to a posting by Lugano dated 2/12/07, look for his link to the database and follow his directions from the post. Click HERE

Yes, this very subjective...no doubt we all know that but I think it is good to spread the knowledge and see what yields a particular answer from each of us.

Me I am still contemplating the purchase of either a Pass Labs x250.0 or x350.0 to use with my ML ReQuests. The Plinius line changed this year and I may think about the SA-201 or 301...not sure...I'm leaning more towards the Pass Labs but not sure which model. What I do know is that I need a more capable amp with the reserve in the power supply, something over the 200 watt per channel mark and with the capacity to double power output as the impedance decreases. My current amplifiers (Kenwood L-05M Mono blocks) are 100 watts per channel and only squeeze out about 150 at half the impedance…not a great indication of the power supply section of the amp…but they did do very good for what they are and have been!

I listen to a lot of genres of music…rock from the 60’s and 70’s, jazz, classical, solo artists, piano/flute, Cello, acoustic, or electric…anything from Joni Mitchell to Metallica and oh yeah throw in an occasional Neil Young too. I also like to listen to music with synthesizers like Yes, ELP, Genesis and oh yeah Pink Floyd/David Gilmore! I like to listen to Dire Straights/Marc Knopfler, and Steely Dan also. There’s a lot of different types of music there and I admit that some of it sounds better on a low end system because of the accurate resolution of the electrostatics, but the good recordings are so worth it all!

I like bass…low bass that I can feel. I like the kind of bass that goes right through the walls of my house and ends up outside somewhere in the yard before disappearing somewhere out there into the air.

My system does double duty as a surround system also and there in comes the need for extra reserve and low bass reproduction, hence the recent purchase of the Descent sub.

Back to the subject of this thread…I like seeing what other people are using for Amplification and Speakers. Also to be reminded about some lesser-remembered brands…or as in some instances forgotten brands. Someone here mentioned Aragon, there are a few others as well that were mentioned. There’s a brand name that I have not seen in the local retailers for a while now. In fact the last time I did was more than 20 years ago when I almost bought an Aragon amp from CSA, a local audio salon I used to patronize in the 80’s.

If all goes well I should make a purchase by late spring or so….unless the garage addition to the house costs more than I anticipated.

To answer my own questions:

1.What speaker are you using in your current listening or multi-channel, or surround sound system.
Front Mains: ReQuest
Center: Snell HCC-500
Surrounds: Snell SUR500 Dipoles
Sub: Descent

2. What type of Amp: tube, hybrid, solid state, Class A, A/B, D, first watt, flea, mega watt...
Front Mains: Kenwood L-05M Mono Block class A/B 100 w/Ch into 8 ohms 150 @ 4 ohms
Center and surrounds: Marantz MA500 Mono Blocks (3) 125 w/Ch into 8 ohms 180 @ 4 ohms

3. Are you happy with the power capability or SPL (Sound Pressure Level) that you obtain with your current combination?
At my current listening position of about 10 feet, not quite for music. Although it can scare the hell out of us with some movies!

Yes. Pass Labs, something in the range of 250 w/Ch into 8 ohms or more.
Yes, more ML speakers for the center and surround channels. My system prior to ML’s was all Snell.

Yes there is more….but why go on….

Last edited:
Ok, possibly showing of ignorance here, but what do you mean by voltage vs. current?

The older Sunfire amps (not sure which ones exactly - I know the Cinema Signature is this way) have two different outputs for each channel "Voltage" and "Current". I believe the "Current" outputs have some resistance built into them that makes it sound "warmer" and more tubelike..

Here's a photo I saw on A-gon.

Attachments

• cinema sig.jpg
    cinema sig.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
The older Sunfire amps (not sure which ones exactly - I know the Cinema Signature is this way) have two different outputs for each channel "Voltage" and "Current". I believe the "Current" outputs have some resistance built into them that makes it sound "warmer" and more tubelike..

Here's a photo I saw on A-gon.

Tom,
I never knew that some amplifiers came equipped with a choice of either voltage or current source capability. Nor did I realize the difference that could be had with the choice between the two.

To enhance your explanation and my curiosity I dug up this from one of my old college books in electricity to help some understand what the difference is electrically…here goes:

Voltage source supplies a fixed voltage to a network (our ML's) and that it's current varies determined by the resistive load to which is applied to it. A voltage source has an internal series resistance built into it.

Conversely:

A current source supplies a fixed current to a network and its terminal voltage is determined by the resistance of the network to which it is applied. A current source has an internal parallel resistance built into it.

To add further confusion:
Superposition is above and beyond both of the previous configurations and one that I believe Pass Labs has a patent on. CORRECTION: Pass Labs patented a circuit design they call Super-Symmetry. It is something I am not about to attempt to explain or read about because it is late and my brain hurts....thank goodness for spell check, I’m miss-spelling words I swear I typed correctly!

Thanks for bringing that information up Tom I just learned something new.

Sam

Last edited:
The older Sunfire amps (not sure which ones exactly - I know the Cinema Signature is this way) have two different outputs for each channel "Voltage" and "Current". I believe the "Current" outputs have some resistance built into them that makes it sound "warmer" and more tubelike.
See, I told you I might show my ignorance. ;) I didn't know Sunfire amps had (and still have) that capability. I just mistakenly assumed that there was only one set of outputs per speaker. Getting out the TGA-7400 User's Manual (yeah, yeah, RTFM), I found the following:

"The Voltage Source outputs have a source impedance of approximately zero ohms. The Current Souce outputs have a source impedance of approximately one ohm.
NOTE: The Current Source output is a Voltage Source modified to yield an impedance of one ohm. This corresponds approximately to a vacuume tube amplifier's output impedance and constitutes the dominant factor in the soundstage delivery of classic vacuume tube power amplifiers."

Last edited:
Dang Tim!!! That's exactly where I bought them along with the Phase Linear 700B Amplifier and Phase Linear 4000 Pre Amp. In fact I'm looking right at the preamp now...I don't use it anymore but it's a nice nostalgic piece Bob Carver invented a long time ago! I purchased these pieces in 1977! Did we bump into each other there? Sold the Ohm F's and the 700B A while back.

Sam

HAH!!! Not sure - I am in Michigan - But, I was a real wheeler dealer back then - I'd talk them down - they'd come back - then I'd say 'Ok, if you throw in the disc washer!!' and yes it would have been around 1977....Those Ohm Fs - would have been right next the the Infinity Quantum 5s...(that is what I got) - probably killed about 8 midranges - but I thought they sounded great - and one time - saw fire come out of one of the tweeters!!!:rocker:

See, I told you I might show my ignorance. ;) I didn't know Sunfire amps had (and still have) that capability. I just mistakenly assumed that there was only one set of outputs per speaker. Getting out the TGA-7400 User's Manual (yeah, yeah, RTFM), I found the following:

"The Voltage Source outputs have a source impedance of approximately zero ohms. The Current Souce outputs have a source impedance of approximately one ohm.
NOTE: The Current Source output is a Voltage Source modified to yield an impedance of one ohm. This corresponds approximately to a vacuume tube amplifier's output impedance and constitutes the dominant factor in the soundstage delivery of classic vacuume tube power amplifiers."

yes - so just one more thing you get to fiddle with!! Personally - I would hook yours up voltage first - listen for awhile - a month - or whenever the mood strikes you (I think it took me a year to go voltage on the stats). Then listen the the current. I am sure I will switch back at some point to see if I REALLY like the voltage better... All the documentation says that I shouldn't --haha... but, to me voltage sounded more robust, more immediate,more detailed. I think the Sunfire as a whole is a warmer sounding amp to begin with... but as our friend Roberto sez 'Trust your Ears' :)

So what is your speaker and amplifier combination? I realize this is similar to the member systems list of equipment, but I want to see responses as to what you think about your combination.

1. What speaker are you using in your current listening or multi-channel, or surround sound system.

Sam

Regarding #1 & 2, click link below

#3 - tickled "Pink"

#4 - Not anytime soon, unless someone wants to give me their
Summitt's !!

1. Summits/Rowland 8T audio system; Aeons/Scenarios/Logos/Proceed Amp 5 video system.
2. class AB, both
3. quite pleased on both counts
4. Lusting after ARC tubes, probably Ref 110 if it will drive to levels I want in two channel system. Maybe ARC SS multichannel for video.

Quests powered by an OCM 500 amp, Velodyne ULD-18 Sub.

I HAVE blown the amp fuse twice when playing the cannon shots from Telarc's 1812 Overture....

Otherwise, vey satisfied with the power/SPL.

I am considering getting a Van Alstine FET Hybrid amp though....

Currently, I am using the 'Logans as the main speakers in my great room surround sound system - Acurus ACT 3, Aragon 8008x3 for center and surrounds, which are Definitive Technology CLR 1000, and BPX rears.

When I build my HT in the basement, I have a couple of PS5 speakers and a bunch of ESS Heil Air motion transformers , and I will build center and mains with these and have a separate stereo system using the 'Logans (thinking AVA tube preamp and FET Hybrid amp).

Back