What are your other hobbies?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only reason I would not buy a Cayman S is that every time I drove it I would feel like my life did not turn out the way I planned. I would always think to myself I should have gotten the 911. In my openion the Z4 M coupe is a better car then the Cayman S. I have driven both and the Z4 felt more thrilling.

Cherian,

You're looking at a 2003 911 vs a 2007/8 Cayman S. You're spending the same for both. I don't see how the Cayman makes you think like your life is lacking. There aren't many Cayman drivers out there compared to the cars we drive.

The Z4 coupe is nice, but it's a step child IMO. No comparison to the Porsches if sports is what you're after.

Joey

Cherian,

You're looking at a 2003 911 vs a 2007/8 Cayman S. You're spending the same for both. I don't see how the Cayman makes you think like your life is lacking. There aren't many Cayman drivers out there compared to the cars we drive.

The Z4 coupe is nice, but it's a step child IMO. No comparison to the Porsches if sports is what you're after.

Joey

I would rock an older 996tt every day over a cayman. The Cayman is a cool car that handles fairly well, but it has no power potential. It is kind of like a Miata, but it looks cooler and has a higher price tag. haha. If you're looking for a cruiser, the Cayman is a perfect extra car.

Last edited:
I would rock an older 996tt every day over a cayman. The Cayman is a cool car that handles fairly well, but it has no power potential. It is kind of like a Miata, but it looks cooler and has a higher price tag. haha. If you're looking for a cruiser, the Cayman is a perfect extra car.

One of the cheapest 996tt I found was an 02 for $55-ish. That's a whopping 60% more than an 07 Cayman S for $34K.

Yeah, I would rock a used Lambo Gallardo over a 996tt as well, since we're talking about numbers relative to each other. 55K vs 90K. Or better yet, I'd pick a fairly new R8 over an old 996tt if we're sticking to those numbers.

Let's be fair now.

If your budget is low 30s, and your trying to rock the porsche, I see no reason to spend money on an older porsche when a newer and very capable sibling is available. Just my 2 cents.

Cherian,

As noted above... '01 996 Twin Turbo...SA-WEET! Tough to find a decent one at $32k...

928 GTS...you will never see yourself going the other way FOR SURE! Only 400 imported between '93 and '95. $32k for a good one is POSSIBLE but you will have to be flexible on colors and it WON'T be a 5spd model...those would be a solid $5k more for a nice example. Every time I drive one of my GTS's folks stop to talk to me about how the car is so timeless in its design, that or they think it must be a "NEW" Porsche they are not familiar with! :D

Z4...could Chris Bangle have designed an UGLIER car?! I think not! I can't believe that car is on ANYONE'S list! YMMV on this of course...

Cayman S PDK was voted BEST DRIVERS car of 2010 by Motor Trend or Car & Driver...hell, maybe it was Road & Track, I can't remember. They are awesome cars!

Exotic looks but still reliable and fun to drive... Lotus Elise (if you are a physically SMALL person anyway)! LOVE the look!

Exotic looks and RARE... Lambo Jalpa! Neat car...like an early Lotus Esprit it might start falling apart just from being looked at...I don't know.

C5, C6, and Viper...WAY TO COMMON! Great performance cars, but PU-LEESE...see them on every corner not to mention from the drivers seat other than the go pedal there is NOTHING special about those cars!

Cherian,

As noted above... '01 996 Twin Turbo...SA-WEET! Tough to find a decent one at $32k...

928 GTS...you will never see yourself going the other way FOR SURE! Only 400 imported between '93 and '95. $32k for a good one is POSSIBLE but you will have to be flexible on colors and it WON'T be a 5spd model...those would be a solid $5k more for a nice example. Every time I drive one of my GTS's folks stop to talk to me about how the car is so timeless in its design, that or they think it must be a "NEW" Porsche they are not familiar with! :D

Z4...could Chris Bangle have designed an UGLIER car?! I think not! I can't believe that car is on ANYONE'S list! YMMV on this of course...

Cayman S PDK was voted BEST DRIVERS car of 2010 by Motor Trend or Car & Driver...hell, maybe it was Road & Track, I can't remember. They are awesome cars!

Exotic looks but still reliable and fun to drive... Lotus Elise (if you are a physically SMALL person anyway)! LOVE the look!

Exotic looks and RARE... Lambo Jalpa! Neat car...like an early Lotus Esprit it might start falling apart just from being looked at...I don't know.

C5, C6, and Viper...WAY TO COMMON! Great performance cars, but PU-LEESE...see them on every corner not to mention from the drivers seat other than the go pedal there is NOTHING special about those cars!

James (nice to see you here!!)...

+1! I agree on all points.

If you can get an 01 996tt for low 30s... I say go for it BUT this can't be your daily driver. You'd probably still have to stick with your Volvo, Cher. Otherwise, love love love the Cayman at that pricepoint.

The new car will be my summer weekend car and maybe a few days a year on the track.

The new car will be my summer weekend car and maybe a few days a year on the track.
I'm sure you'll pick the right one.

Manual right?

BTW, what do you think about the DCT new trannies out? Those can shift quick.

Hey Cherian,

Just FYI, there is a promotion on the 07 Z4 certifieds - 0.9% financing. This would be a good way to grab that Z if you really want it. I think it ends 3/31.

The Porsche double clutch system DPK (AKA Doppelkupplung) is supposed to be very good. Form what I have read it is faster to 60 than a true manual transmission.

Yes my plan is to buy a manual.

The Porsche double clutch system DPK (AKA Doppelkupplung) is supposed to be very good. Form what I have read it is faster to 60 than a true manual transmission.

Yes my plan is to buy a manual.

PDK is definitely faster than MY manual abilities. I'm a noobie.

Cherian,

The cayman and elise are on every street corner, too. At least here they are. But of the bunch, the Elise definitely looks the most expensive and exotic (even though it isn't). It won't be a comfortable drive, though, so not a great long distance cruiser. They're fun to toss around and would probably be a real blast if rounded out with another couple hundred horsepower and more tire.

The cayman and elise are on every street corner, too. At least here they are. But of the bunch, the Elise definitely looks the most expensive and exotic (even though it isn't). It won't be a comfortable drive, though, so not a great long distance cruiser. They're fun to toss around and would probably be a real blast if rounded out with another couple hundred horsepower and more tire.

A near 400hp Elise would be a rocket.

If you want an exotic that you will not see everytime you drive it. For 32k to 34K maybe even a little less, you could find a Ferrari 308QV or a 328 or a higher mile 348 and finally for just a little more shillings a F355.

The 308 and the 328 were pretty much bullet proof by the end of their life cycle. Ferrari practices continuous improvement, so if an issue is found in say a 95 F355, they will make changes right in the middle of the 1996 production run and so on through the end of each model life cycle which is usually 5 years.

So and 85 308QV is a pretty good overall car and the 89 328 is a very, very good car. You can get buyer guides on all Ferrari models so you know what to look for as far as history and recall campaigns.

Basicaly if you can find a car with all tools, books and records, then get a PPI before buying, you are pretty much assured to get a non-problem car if you keep up with the minor annual maintenance and the major maintenance which is every 5 years or 15,000 miles.

And a nice side note, when you buy one of the older cars and take care of it you can often sell it for what you paid, which means you are only out the maintenance. It is a little harder to do that with most sportscars.

Or maybe Ferrari is not your cup of exotic.....I mean tea. In that case get what moves you...and I am not talking transportation-wise but rather your soul. Do that and you should not be disappointed.

A near 400hp Elise would be a rocket.

I would go so far as to say a 400HP Elise without F1 nannies would be un-controlable by all except professional race car drivers.

But it might be all you need, if you are real sadistic.:)

I did drive a 348TS a few years back and I loved it. The look was a bit dated but I loved it. This car was on my list for some time. But in the end I wanted more speed and a bit more handeling.

I would go so far as to say a 400HP Elise without F1 nannies would be un-controlable by all except professional race car drivers.

I concur. I have over 20,000 instructional miles on race tracks all over Texas and it never fails when a student asks if they can turn off the traction control they spin the car in less than a lap! The Elise does not have any of those things and if you add another 150+ HP to that beauty you better be VERY, VERY good!

So does anyone collect fountain pens? A year ago I bought a Pilot with a retractable tip (unusual for a fountain pen) for the princely sum of US$169. It consititues my collection of one. :eek:

I forgot to post last night sorry. Here are a few with the Rotring 600 proudly at the front!!

Attachments

• Image0151 (600 x 450).jpg
    Image0151 (600 x 450).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 128
I've been fortunate to drive some of the worlds best supercars. The Rossioin (or older Noble) is still the most fun car though. Truly amazing!

http://rossioncars.com/ for the money, impossible to beat!!!

It wouldn't be that bad as long as you're running appropriate tires. The elise is 2000lbs... you're only talking about 5lbs/horsepower. My current car, for example, is around 4.4lb/horsepower on kill. The throttle is on a hinge, after all. haha.

Last edited:
Back