What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todd,

I listened to several samples of the CD. Some of them certainly are not unemotional, but here is my impression of what I heard:

The first sample gave me an empty "Take me out and shoot me" hopeless feeling. Here is where I like the strength of Beethoven in even his saddest music. It says "Come and fight", instead.

The second sample was mathematically correct but sounded detached.

Sample 22 was beautiful, but had me thinking about how wonderful it would have sounded if Beethoven had composed it. In my head I was filling in what I thought was missing (no, I don't pretend to be Beethoven).

I suggest you buy the CD of Murray Perahia playing Schubert's "Stāndchen" (the famous serenade) to get an idea of what I consider both beautiful and emotional. I heard Perahia play it live, and it was truly outstanding.

Great commentarry Bernard. While I didn't come away with exactly those impressions, that's no susprise given individual tastes on a wildly subjective topic. I find Ms Dinnerstein's phrasing to be stunningly emotive and engaging. Pulls me right inside her (and Bach's) world. The auschwitz-esque feeling you got from track 1 was truly antithetical to it's impact on me. However, in RELATIVE terms, I agree that track2 is more mathematical, but still a delight to my ear/brain. Also agree that track 20 is a lovely piece and, for me, easy to get comfortably and most agreeably lost within. I must say I'm quite surprised you didn't comment on track 21. I assume you listened to it (if you got as far as track 20). If not, you should go back and click play... perhaps even go back and listen to it again if if you already "think" you heard it once. If Bach's Maestoso is not a spookily prescient "ode to Ludwig" I don't know what is.

Guten Tag Bernard

Great commentarry Bernard. While I didn't come away with exactly those impressions, that's no susprise given individual tastes on a wildly subjective topic. I find Ms Dinnerstein's phrasing to be stunningly emotive and engaging. Pulls me right inside her (and Bach's) world. The auschwitz-esque feeling you got from track 1 was truly antithetical to it's impact on me. However, in RELATIVE terms, I agree that track2 is more mathematical, but still a delight to my ear/brain. Also agree that track 20 is a lovely piece and, for me, easy to get comfortably and most agreeably lost within. I must say I'm quite surprised you didn't comment on track 21. I assume you listened to it (if you got as far as track 20). If not, you should go back and click play... perhaps even go back and listen to it again if if you already "think" you heard it once. If Bach's Maestoso is not a spookily prescient "ode to Ludwig" I don't know what is.

Guten Tag Bernard
Todd, Mein Herr,

I didn't listen to all of the samples, and ignored#21 as it's a Goldberg Variation. I have the Variations played by Wilhelm Kempff, and never listen to it as I find it uninvolving. I've heard both Perahia and Brendel do Bach live, and was unmoved.

But, I did go back and listen to sample 21, and again I was left with an empty, depressing feeling, especially at the start, but you're right, the end does make me begin to think of Ludwig.

If you want an example of music I consider incredibly sad but strong at the same time, listen to the slow movement of Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" Sonata. That man was a true genius.

This cold, WINDY Sunday morning it's 60's/70's/80's classic rock on Pandora. I love these new genre catagories that Pandora added. It's been Don Mclean, Carly Simon, the Eagles...

6huzrq.jpg

If you like soundtracks, or even if you don't, you should Buy This Album. Forget that it's a kids movie. Forget Glory. Horner is at the absolute peak of his powers on this one, and the recording is terrific. A lovely piece of work.

If you like soundtracks, or even if you don't, you should Buy This Album. Forget that it's a kids movie. Forget Glory. Horner is at the absolute peak of his powers on this one, and the recording is terrific. A lovely piece of work.

Thanks Ken... this would never have even crossed my mind. How did it cross yours?

Thanks Ken... this would never have even crossed my mind. How did it cross yours?
Nor would it have crossed mine, Todd, and I've never seen the movie. I heard one of the tracks in the Vandersteen room @ RMAF and picked it up as soon as I got home. Listened to it last night after a lapse and was again reminded of just how wonderful, in every respect, it is.

Nor would it have crossed mine, Todd, and I've never seen the movie. I heard one of the tracks in the Vandersteen room @ RMAF and picked it up as soon as I got home. Listened to it last night after a lapse and was again reminded of just how wonderful, in every respect, it is.

Just listened to the samples on Amazon. They had me at track 1. Man, they want some serious dough for a new CD. Good thing used are el-cheapo.

Do you recall which track hooked you in that rocky mountain demo room?

Just listened to the samples on Amazon. They had me at track 1. Man, they want some serious dough for a new CD. Good thing used are el-cheapo.

Do you recall which track hooked you in that rocky mountain demo room?
Used is how I did it.;) It's funny, I was asking myself the same question last night and couldn't pick it out. But, it doesn't matter - they're all great. Well, except for the two non-Horner kiddie pop numbers at the end, which probably played over the credits.

I see, or rather hear, that the Amazon samples tend to the quiet, melodic bits and don't provide much of a glimpse into the much more dynamic passages. Track four (and others) have some huge kettle drums which will give your subs quite a workout.

Gregory Porter - Be Good. Excellent cd, very well recorded. Diana Krall - Live In Paris - great cd too.

The CLX's are making beautiful music!!

M

Genre: Folk/Roots

Released in 2006 on the Red House label this sophomore effort "Firecracker" by The Wailin' Jennys includes twelve original songs and one traditional. This disc has some beautiful female harmonies and vocals and the disc is well recorded!

Attachments

• Jenny.jpg
    Jenny.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Thanks for the heads up Ken.

Ordered it, used of course.

Gordon

PS: On the subject of soundtracks, "The Thin Red Line" is also quite spectacular musically and sonically. Reminds me, at times, of Vangelis at his best and contains some of the most wicked bass drum / low bass information available.

Last edited:
6huzrq.jpg

Ken... it's terrifyingly good :) I've got it playing now (or rather it's reincarnated flac equivelent) and I'll admit, I've jumped a few times. I just took this picture of me enjoying Horner's awesome work :p

IT really is a fun and great sounding disc. Thanks.

B4S_Poltergeist1015_41978c.jpg

Thanks for the heads up Ken.

Ordered it, used of course.

Gordon

PS: On the subject of soundtracks, "The Thin Red Line" is also quite spectacular musically and sonically. Reminds me, at times, of Vangelis at his best and contains some of the most wicked bass drum / low bass information available.
Hi Gordon! After Casper, I went on a Horner kick and purchased several others, none of which were as satisfying. Thin Red Line had been recommended to me, but I didn't pick it up. I'll do so pronto. :)

PS: If you want sonics, pick up The Last Airbender. A little too outré for me, but Holy Cow!, the dynamics are unreal.

Ken... it's terrifyingly good :) I've got it playing now (or rather it's reincarnated flac equivelent) and I'll admit, I've jumped a few times. I just took this picture of me enjoying Horner's awesome work :p

IT really is a fun and great sounding disc. Thanks.

B4S_Poltergeist1015_41978c.jpg
Sheesh! Don't be such a girl, Todd!:p

Gave me a great laugh, though. Glad you like it.:music:

Since recently ordering an Alia Vox disc (Mozart's Requiem), it has prompted me to go back through my collection of other Alia Vox releases (mostly featuring Jordi Savall). I'd forgotten how pristine the SQ is on all these discs - from Bach to Biber to Boccherini and a number of others, they are all worth hearing IMHO. Currently enjoying this wonderful Carlos V compilation... to briefly paraphrase someone's review of this disc "This is a wonderful pot-pourri of pan-European music from the first half of the sixteenth century".

Bernard, I will eat my hat if you aren't at least intrigued by this one :p

51T6EZ64PXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51DVqr7NPkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Artist: Tosca
Album: Suzuki
Genre: Electronic

Amazon UK 5 star rated from 12 reviews. The track "The Key" always makes me smile as the vocal consists of the words "sound quality" repeated over and over again. He isn't joking - sounds fab on my system, anyway.

This really is another very good example of electronic music. The album has a really coherent feeling to it, and I really enjoy its overall vibe when I'm in the right mood. Top stuff.

Last edited:
Back