What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bohren & der Club of Gore - Dolores

Bohren_&_der_Club_of_Gore_-_Dolores.jpg

Dark/evil/noir/horror jazz... A sample

Always impressed with the Cowboy Junkies production/recordings.

Attachments

• Cowboy Junkies.jpg
    Cowboy Junkies.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 344
I'm a Cowboy Junkies...junkie! Seen them many times live in concert. Margo is just mesmerizing. Their next album in the Nomad Series called "Sing In My Meadow" comes out October 18th...can't wait.

I'm a Cowboy Junkies...junkie! Seen them many times live in concert. Margo is just mesmerizing. Their next album in the Nomad Series called "Sing In My Meadow" comes out October 18th...can't wait.

Thanks for the heads up on the next release, other priorities have kept me from keeping closer track of music lately. I too have seen them a number of times in small venues, where Margo has come out after the show to socialize with fans. Always a good show....

Genre: Electronica/Pop

The Supreme Beings of Leisure electro-orchestral production and Geri Soriano-Lightwood's breathy vocals rock on this duo's 3rd release on the Rykodisc label released in 2008.

Attachments

• SBOL.jpg
    SBOL.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 176
Churchill - I saw SBOL at the House of Blues in West Hollywood a few years back. Great Show! Picked up their self-titled album - listening to it now and had forgotten just how good they really are. Thanks for the memory extraction!

I had the day off today and dedicated most of it to listening to 3 albums. I started of the morning with Ben Sollee - Learning To Bend.

51OsZUrhR7L._SS500_.jpg

After a brief break, I queued up Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert. This is one of my favorite albums of his.

41tM-l9Hg9L._SS500_.jpg

The final album of the day, still playing right now, is Andrew Bird - Andrew Bird & The Mysterious Production of Eggs.

51CTZ9S6N3L._SS500_.jpg

That's quite an eclectic mix, T'ch0r !

Hah yeah I like a lot of different stuff. I mostly listen to metal but I love other stuff.

Here's some samples...

I can't find a real good version of this on youtube...

The album this is from sounds absolutely amazing on my ML ESL's.

Ok, for those of you with a BluRay player hooked up via HDMI to a processor that does DTS-HD Master Audio and a good surround setup, here is your new Audio demo material.
The stunning new album by Steve Wilson (of Porcupine Tree fame) Grace for Drowning

Available on high-res audio BluRay, this is a great example of how BluRay can be used to replace DVD-Audio/SACD as the modern delivery platform for multichannel, high-resolution audio. Like DVD-A, it also has some ‘video’ extras, but the main point of this disc is Audio, not video. The entire album plays with just the name of the song on the display. The whole point is top-notch audio.

And Steve Wilson is the best in the biz these days in creating the most awesome, high fidelity recordings, and on top of that, the most effective multichannel mixes.
The dynamic range on this album is incredible and the depth of the mixes is sublime. A well setup system (and great ML speakers) will reveal all the subtle details in this masterpiece.

Be ready to be amazed

51c4WcqmfEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Albinoni: Sinfonie a Cinque, Op. 2

Here we have Ensemble 415 conducted by Chiara Banchini in a very lively, cohesive set of sonatas. Recording is crisp, well balanced and slightly forward. Conjurs a leisurely stroll through the Tuscan hills - enroute to the nearest vinyard :)

Attachments

• 51n8W7g0wJL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51n8W7g0wJL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 138
Beethoven's 10th Symphony - yes, 10th!

How many here have heard Beethoven's 10th Symphony? (c'mon Bernard - fess up ;) )

I picked this CD up a few months ago and am just now rediscovering it's charms. Of course most of us know that Beethoven never published a 10th Symphony, but he did draw up an initial frame-work and apparently even wrote a fair amount for at least one instrument. Fast Forward to modern day, a noted Beethoven scholar and accomplished composer Prof. Barry Cooper has taken up the task of completing Beethoven's work. While surely quite different from whatever Beethoven would have eventually realized, IMO, Cooper's realization is far from unpleasant.

You can play a sample here: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/det...en-1770-1827-Tripelkonzert-op-56/hnum/6024783

For anyone interested, I borrowed the following from a recent BBC posting:

Beethoven wrote the slow movement for his string quartet Opus 18 Number Two in 1799 before discarding it and composing another version a year later.

The original has not survived, but has now been reconstructed by Prof Barry Cooper of Manchester University.

He has reassembled the surviving sketches, filling in any gaps himself.

Prof Cooper, one of the world's leading experts on the composer, said preliminary sketches from Beethoven's notebooks had survived for all 74 bars of the movement.

But half of the bars were written for just one instrument, meaning Prof Cooper has completed the missing instrument parts himself.

"You've got a pretty good idea of what the music is like," he told BBC News.

"The movement will certainly be strikingly similar to what Beethoven wrote. Obviously it can't possibly be exactly the same."

The original movement was delivered to Beethoven's patron Prince Franz Joseph Maximilian von Lobkowitz in 1799 before being replaced with a revised version.

'A perfectionist'

The full manuscript of the original composition has not been seen since. But Beethoven wrote to a friend in 1801, telling him that he had not mastered the composition of quartets at the time that he wrote the original.

"He was a perfectionist," Prof Cooper said. "He felt that when he wrote this early movement, he didn't actually know how to write quartets. Any other composer would have been delighted to have written this lovely movement."

The completed movement will be performed by the university's resident string quartet Quatuor Danel at the Martin Harris Centre in Manchester on Thursday.

The performance comes 13 years after Prof Cooper stirred controversy in the classical music world by creating a 10th Symphony based on unfinished Beethoven sketches.

He said there was "far more" evidence for the contents of the string quartet than for the symphony, meaning it was "much easier to piece together".

How many here have heard Beethoven's 10th Symphony? (c'mon Bernard - fess up ;) )
I have not heard it, but have heard of it, together with the comment (from the dim recesses of my mind) "Beethoven didn't write it, but let's listen to it anyway".

I can't see where in your link you can listen to it. The link is more to the Triplekonzert, which is a piece I like a great deal, and have heard played live by The Beaux Arts Trio; it was magnificent !

You should look for a piece supposedly written by Beethoven (but most likely not, according to the scholars) called "Farewell to the Piano"; it says Beethoven on the music sheets. I first heard it when my niece was learning to play piano. I have not yet found a recording that does it justice, based upon what I have heard my niece play. Most people play it "en passant", without any feeling.

I have not heard it, but have heard of it, together with the comment (from the dim recesses of my mind) "Beethoven didn't write it, but let's listen to it anyway".

I can't see where in your link you can listen to it. The link is more to the Triplekonzert, which is a piece I like a great deal, and have heard played live by The Beaux Arts Trio; it was magnificent !

You should look for a piece supposedly written by Beethoven (but most likely not, according to the scholars) called "Farewell to the Piano"; it says Beethoven on the music sheets. I first heard it when my niece was learning to play piano. I have not yet found a recording that does it justice, based upon what I have heard my niece play. Most people play it "en passant", without any feeling.

Thanks... I will look for the Farewell piece. Sounds vaguely familiar actually.

On the link for a sample, it's the third sample down, erroneously titled "Sinfonie Nr. 1 C-Dur op. 21 (Auszug)" when in fact, it should read "Sinfonie Nr. 10 C-Dur op. 21 (Auszug)".

On the link for a sample, it's the third sample down, erroneously titled "Sinfonie Nr. 1 C-Dur op. 21 (Auszug)" when in fact, it should read "Sinfonie Nr. 10 C-Dur op. 21 (Auszug)".
I just listened to it. It's hard to believe that it's a late work as it sounds weak after the strength of the 7th, 8th, and 9th. But then I'm no musical scholar.

Back