What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting you should say that. I actually thought it had some structural similarities with the pastoral (6th) which I love. It's tough to tell from just the short sample. I now see it (albeit with diff album art) on Amazon... since you like the trip concerto, maybe it's worth the ~$5 plus shipping? (assuming you can get it in CA)

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Con...0A7Y/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1317686283&sr=8-6

Churchill - I saw SBOL at the House of Blues in West Hollywood a few years back. Great Show! Picked up their self-titled album - listening to it now and had forgotten just how good they really are. Thanks for the memory extraction!

You bet Todd! I'd like to see them live as well but they don't seem to make it far from the west coast very often.

Interesting you should say that. I actually thought it had some structural similarities with the pastoral (6th) which I love. It's tough to tell from just the short sample. I now see it (albeit with diff album art) on Amazon... since you like the trip concerto, maybe it's worth the ~$5 plus shipping? (assuming you can get it in CA)
The 6th is one of my favourites. In looking for THE definitive recording I ended up buying at least 6 different version, plus one played on the piano. My favourite is the one by Karl Bohm (I have 3 copies of the LP).

I just ordered the "10th" on Amazon, despite the fact that I already have two recordings of the Triple. You can never have too much of Ludwig !

The 6th is one of my favourites. In looking for THE definitive recording I ended up buying at least 6 different version, plus one played on the piano. My favourite is the one by Karl Bohm (I have 3 copies of the LP).

I just ordered the "10th" on Amazon, despite the fact that I already have two recordings of the Triple. You can never have too much of Ludwig !

I'll be interested to hear your take on the 10th Bernard. Please let us know what you think.

Genre: Rock/Pop

Picked up the latest effort by John Hiatt called "Dirty Jeans and Mudslide Hymns" his 20th solo album. Released 8/2/11 on the New West Records label. This is a great set of bluesy tunes with a good variety as well. A well recorded and great sounding disc.

Attachments

• john.jpg
    john.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 205
Artist: Vusi Mahlasela and Louis Mhlanga
Title: "Live at the Bassline"
Genre: African folk

Good luck finding this CD, but if you do, you will be richly rewarded. These guys are sort of the Simon and Garfunkle of South Africa, and they sing in several languages (including English). Vusi Mahlasela's vocals are captured beautifully, and Louis Mhlanga's guitar plays off the vocals a bit like Louis Prima and Sam Butera.

I played this through my new ESL speakers and my jaw dropped. You have to get past the first song or two which are the weakest in the set... it's like they needed some time to warm up.

vusi-mahlasela-louis-mhlanga-live-at-the-bassline-south-african-cd-new.jpg

Frank Zappa - Quaudiophiliac

In all its DTS 24/96 Multichannel glory in my friends 5.1 mastering studio. He is using all Focal speakers with incredible results!

51794hrY0jL._SS400_.jpg

611qYv65pNL__SL500_AA280_.jpgJoe Bonamassa and Beth Hart-Don't Explain. I had never heard of either one of these artists until an audio bud told me about (Joe Bonamassa). While doing research, I found this newly released (9/27/2011) CD. EXCELLENT! I even bought a few other CDs from both of these artists. Highly recommended.

Genre: Progressive Bluegrass/Folk

Received the latest Crooked Still CD called "Friends of Fall" released October 2011 on the Signature Sounds label. This is a seven song EP disc about 23 minutes long.

This disc highlights the talented musicians of Crooked Still. The 5 string fiddle player Brittany Haas is great. The lead vocalist Aoife O'Donovan has a wonderful breathy voice. Good clean recording!

Attachments

• crooked_still_friends_of_fall_cover.jpg
    crooked_still_friends_of_fall_cover.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 164
I'll be interested to hear your take on the 10th Bernard. Please let us know what you think.
Todd, I just got the CD. The music starts off quite lyrical and pleasant, but I find it hard to equate it to Beethoven. It then gets strong, and is more Beethoven-like, but still is missing the strength of Beethoven. Overall I find that it lacks direction and I have difficulty imagining it to be the mature Beethoven. Just my 2 cents; I have no musical training at all.

I have not yet listened to the Triple Concerto on this disk.

fehqbn.jpg

Heard this in the KEF room @ RMAF and had to buy. Defies categorization - it's Yello! Electronic with plenty of jazz and African influences. Great bass workout and one of the widest soundstages I've heard from a 2ch recording.

I've been on an Oscar Peterson listening kick lately. I've recently listened to "Oscar Peterson & Nelson Riddle" on Verve, "Oscar Peterson Trio In Transition", Mercury's EmArcy Jazz Series, double album, "We Get Requests", on Verve, "Ella and Oscar", on Pablo records and "hello Herbie", on BASF systems. Though all are very good and very different sounding I might add, the "hello Herbie" was my favorite. First, the music was played like a jam session and was very free feeling and powerful. Secondly, the sound quality on this record is amazing. It was recorded in 1969 by Hans Georg Brunner-Schwer in his private studio at Villingen, Germany. Though seemingly not recognized as an "essential" Oscar Peterson album by some critics (only 4 stars), I think otherwise.

DSC04511-L.jpg

fehqbn.jpg

Heard this in the KEF room @ RMAF and had to buy. Defies categorization - it's Yello! Electronic with plenty of jazz and African influences. Great bass workout and one of the widest soundstages I've heard from a 2ch recording.

Omg, I wasn't even aware that Yello had a " new " cd out! I have every one of their albums and grew up with them as a teenager! My first introduction to them was listening to " lost again" on the beach in Biarritz, France as well As the other classics: desire, sometimes dr hirsch, etc...

I just ordered it on amazon and can't wait to get it. All of their music is absolutely timeless and their recording quality has always been top notch (Swiss quality of course!)

Aqualung 40th Anniversary Box Set

Outstanding remix by Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson.
The 5.1 mix on DVD DTS and Blu-Ray mixes are outstanding.
The background throughout the entire mix is pitch black
with no hiss in the background at high volume except the beginning
of Locomotive Breath. The bass has a lot of punch and weight to it.
When Cross Eyed Mary started, I checked the sub thinking I had left it
switched to 70hz,(which is where I have it for watching movies), but it
was at 40hz. The original quad mix was great as well. The stereo mix on
the DVD is the best I've heard, better than the DCC Gold copy I have.
Have not listened to the Redbook CD yet or the extra unreleased tracks.
Highly recommend if you are a Tull fan. Worth every penny. Picked up off
Amazon for $105.

Picked up the Redbook version, based on your recommendation and......Damn! this is a superb remaster. A mere $18 for the RB.

Thanks very much for pointing this out! :music:

Outstanding remix by Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson.
The 5.1 mix on DVD DTS and Blu-Ray mixes are outstanding.
The background throughout the entire mix is pitch black
with no hiss in the background at high volume except the beginning
of Locomotive Breath. The bass has a lot of punch and weight to it.
When Cross Eyed Mary started, I checked the sub thinking I had left it
switched to 70hz,(which is where I have it for watching movies), but it
was at 40hz. The original quad mix was great as well. The stereo mix on
the DVD is the best I've heard, better than the DCC Gold copy I have.
Have not listened to the Redbook CD yet or the extra unreleased tracks.
Highly recommend if you are a Tull fan. Worth every penny. Picked up off
Amazon for $105.

Folkways

Childrens Folk Songs - Smithsonian Folkways

Just mono from around the world
similarities are interesting country to country
Threw me back a few years :eek:

Picked up the Redbook version, based on your recommendation and......Damn! this is a superb remaster. A mere $18 for the RB.

Thanks very much for pointing this out! :music:

I've listened to it 6 times already, it's like I'm hearing it again for the first time. The only way to get the 5.1 mix was to buy the box set. Glad you liked it.

Blues & Grass by the 52nd Street Blues Project. Actually d/l the 24/96 version from HDTracks, as it's currently one of the weekly specials. Superb live recording! Amazon carries the SACD, which I presume was the source for the high-res d/l.

519niopWIIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I also d/l the 24/96 Fleetwood Mac Rumours, which is a tad better than my Redbook copy.

Back