What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished Ben Kweller, "Changing Horses", a nice way to ease into the morning.

DSC04523-M.jpg

Rolling Stones ~ Stripped

I don't know how I missed this when it was originally released, but I heard it at this year's RMAF and had to buy it. The version of "Wild Horses" on this disk is outstanding, with a recorded quality that far surpasses their original version easily, IMHO. A great "show off your system" track.

And now for something completely different than the Ben Kweller album, I just finished listening to Neil Larsen, "Orbit". This 2007 release by Straight Ahead Records is one of those rare audiophile quality recordings that also is fantastic music. Great upon first listen, but really grows on you over time.

DSC04525-M.jpg

What am I listening to right now, or rather, what have I paused right now to write this?

Why a little Dickens at Christmas... but not the tale you think! This, my friends, is an MP3 download from Classics Online of Dickens's "The Poor Relations Story". Well worth the money since this one is indeed entirely without cost. A download I have to imagine that may well have been underwritten by the joyously reformed Ebenezer himself.

Bah Humbug you say? Where's your Christmas spirit? ;)

I don't know how I missed this when it was originally released, but I heard it at this year's RMAF and had to buy it. The version of "Wild Horses" on this disk is outstanding, with a recorded quality that far surpasses their original version easily, IMHO. A great "show off your system" track.

Steve I heard it for the first time in September when I went to listen to the CLX.
Dennis from ML played the Wild Horses track at the event. Outstanding version.

Buena vista social club live at Carnegie Hall. Lp of course!

517HSWAyIdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
Genre: Indie/Folk/Americana

Released in 2001 on the Acony Records label is Gillian Welch's 3rd album "Time (The Revelator)".

Gillian Welch handles vocals and guitar, she is backed by David Rawlings who also harmonizes vocals and guitar. Nice musical arrangements with a variety of song styles.

Attachments

• welch.jpg
    welch.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 214
Since I got some new turntable toys, I thought I'd try them out tonight. First up, to see what changes they brought, was Beck, Sea Change, an album I've played a few times recently.
DSC04579-M.jpg

Next up was Pat Methaney, What's It All About.
DSC04572-M.jpg

Last, was Belle & Sebastian, Dear Catastrophe Waitress.
DSC04581-M.jpg

After listening to these three albums, I can say that the TTWeights record weight and outer ring are worth every penny, as they did take music from my Scout up quite a bit. Surface noise was eerily absent on these three albums with them in place. Timing, already improved I believe, by the Power Plant Premier, was improved even more. It is hard for me to believe the improvement I am hearing, I'm impressed. All in all, a nice mellow evening, something I needed after all the Christmas parties!

Genre: Folk

Released on 2/1/11 on the Sensibility Music label this full length debut called "Barton Hollow" is by the folk duo The Civil Wars. The Civil Wars duo consist of John Paul White and Joy Williams. They have great chemistry together and John plays a great acoustic guitar while Joy has the gorgeous vocals. Clean recording with 12 tracks.

Attachments

• CW.jpg
    CW.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 198
Within Temptation- An Acoustic Night At The Theater. Outstanding female vocals through the Summits.

Attachments

• 51gjYp-8VJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51gjYp-8VJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 170
Within Temptation- An Acoustic Night At The Theater. Outstanding female vocals through the Summits.

Nice, have you checked out their 'Black Symphony' on BlueRay? Magical as well.

Back