Vista or Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockeratheart

Reaction score
Okay, you probably wanted to skip over this thread because of this age-old debate, vista or vantage. Knowing the basic differences, and after reading up on the threads I could find here, I still wish someone could make this decision for me. If you recognize my name, you maybe remember I was looking for large panels, Quest z, and the like- but have slowly changed my thoughts.

My basic question is similar to other people. I know listening should help me, but I haven't been able to get far enough to a showroom with both vista and vantage on display.

If I get Vistas, I would like to have a smaller Krell, maybe a KAV 150(150/ch). I would love a KAV 250 (250/ch) if I timed it right. Could I spend less on an amp powering the vantage? Maybe a Rotel 1080 with 200 watts/ch?

I power my Def Tech BP30's with a denon receiver right now, so I would really need an amp no matter what speakers I get. The vantage options would probably stretch my budget more than my WAF could support.

I know these questions really should be opinion with differing amp sounds, but I have been over thinking this making my spare time painful.

Thanks,
Ben

I think you will see a huge upgrade from your deftech's with either speaker. But if I had to make the decision for you, I would say go with the Vantage. It goes 9 hz. lower than the Vista, and will be easier to drive no matter which amp you choose. You can always buy the speaker now, and upgrade the amp later.

Maybe a Rotel 1080 with 200 watts/ch?

I've had that exact amp drive my panels and it was absolutely terrible. Your opinion may vary of course, but I believe it had to be a basic mismatch with panel characteristics to be as bad as it was.

If you want to drive panels well (regardless of whether the woofer is powered or not) then stick to the big name amps such as Krell.

You will definately need to switch from the receiver to a quality amp to really get the full benefits of ML speakers. Why the change from a bigger panel?

If you have the room size, I would go the bigger panels. If I had a bit more width in my room ,it would be Prodigy's.

Cheers, Greg

Thanks for the feedback. I wanted big panels but the replacement cost plus used speaker cost being around the same as newer models, I guess I feel room size doesn't warrant big panels. I also hope a smaller amp would drive the smaller panels easier too. Cost will be a huge factor for me, so I will need to buy used.

About 10 years ago I heard Ascents with Krell and fell in love. I figure that setup is similar to what I will end up with.

Thanks for the feedback. I wanted big panels but the replacement cost plus used speaker cost being around the same as newer models, I guess I feel room size doesn't warrant big panels. I also hope a smaller amp would drive the smaller panels easier too. Cost will be a huge factor for me, so I will need to buy used.

About 10 years ago I heard Ascents with Krell and fell in love. I figure that setup is similar to what I will end up with.

Hola... You are able to drive the Vatages with amps rated at 20 Watts/Ch or even less with no problem. Their sensitivity is 92dBs/2.83v/meter. The built in power digital amp is also rated at 200 Watts 4 ohms. You will be in heaven with them. Do not get me wrong here, the Vistas are great sounding speakers too. But the advantage to have this sensitivity and your amplifier will drive only the stats panels, makes them to be the ones. This is my liking, and not necessary yours. Happy listening!
Roberto.

Back