Very long digital coax cable OK?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Just got my Squeezebox Touch, but it's hard to read the (smallish) color display from my listening position. I am thinking of relocating the Touch closer to my sweet spot, but that would require using a 13-14 ft (Blue Jeans) digital coax cable to reach my DAC, rather than the 3 ft cable I'm currently using. Anybody know if quadrupling a digital cable will have a deleterious sonic effect? I know, in theory "bits is bits," but in reality, sometimes these things make a difference.

I've got a 20 foot cable and have had a bit of glitching from time to time with my Sooloos on high res files. Went back to a standard 3 foot cable, and the problem is solved.

If I were going to try a long SPDIF cable again, I would go with something much higher quality than Blue Jeans.

I know their stuff gets a lot of kudos amongst the budget crowd, but it's relatively low performance.

Well, I ended up ordering a 12 ft Blue Jeans (Belden 1694A) cable, which is the shortest length I can get by with. Will see how it does. Only $30, so definitely worth a shot!

I'd go optical for that distance. Problem with longer cables is the reflections and other anomolies that all threaten to increase jitter.

I'd go optical for that distance. Problem with longer cables is the reflections and other anomolies that all threaten to increase jitter.

Agreed. I've used a 25' optical cable with no problems from a sat receiver.

I've also had SPDIF coax work over >35' (cable runs under my HT) using quad-shielded RG-6 as the main link and RCA to F-connector adapters on either end.

For 44/16 bit rates, that seems to be fine. As Jeff mentions, higher bandwidth signals might not work consistently.

From a Belden note on another subject. SPDIF is very robust, up to 45 or 50 feet you can use just about any cable. Past 45 feet you need a 75 Ohm co-ax to reduce reflections. Interference from things like micro-wave ovens does require good shielding. Quad shield is not optimized for these low frequencies.

I was under the impression that optical was more prone to jitter, due to the need for two conversion steps of electrical to light, and back.

Hopefully the 12' coax will be fine. Another "plus" is that Blue Jeans offers multiple cable colors for their coax, so it has higher WAF! :rocker:

Back