Signal Cables arrived

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Just wanted to touch base with all of you that were in my original thread - and to anyone interested. I purchased the Signal Cable power cords for my Sunfire amp/pre/denon 5900. Got the magic power cord for 59 / and 2 digital reference power cords for 69 each. I found the results well worth it. Long time ago, a buddy put some ps audio (I think) cords on my amp & pre (400 dollar cords) - and the Signal cable cords stand up quite well with those....

I was a skeptic... but here are the diffs:

Everything is 'stronger'. Vocals are more 'solid'. Vocals come forward just a tad. I am not normally a 'vocal forward' guy usually - but in this case - it is way better. I swear everything seems a smidgen darker (which I like). As an example - I listened to a NickelCreek sacd - and the mandolin almost sounded like it was a little lower on the stat (if you know what I mean). There was a wholeness to it. Before it sounded a little 'twangy'??? (ok I'm not a professional reviewer)...now very solid. Vocals that were a bit distant and a bit thin - now are solid and just a touch more upfront. Things also seem to image better as well.... Bass is better.... Should I say 'more solid' again??? Anyway....these are my impressions... I like them.... If you decide to get anything like this though... I might suggest paying the extra dinero for an extra foot of cord (10 bucks).

I'm not sure if these have any kind of break in period (more voodoo...I know)... but if anyone knows ... comments appreciated...

My opinion: worth it - especially if you have Logans which are very revealing.
(PS: original cords were stock 14 gauge on the Sunfire and 18 gauge on the Denon)

Hope this helps my fellow skeptics.....

Can you follow up with a picture?

Also interested in your opinions on build quality, flexibility, quality of the mating ends, etc. I have heard others speak highly of Signal cable and I am considering them for an upcoming dedicated audio room project.

T-

Cool! I've got a bunch of these on the way. Can't wait to try them out.

Signal Cable reccomends 50 hours of burn in for their cables.

Excellent company with great products and fantastic customer support IMO.

My birthday is in a week and I asked the wife for a Signal Cable Magic power cable for our Pass Labs amp.

Can you follow up with a picture?

Also interested in your opinions on build quality, flexibility, quality of the mating ends, etc. I have heard others speak highly of Signal cable and I am considering them for an upcoming dedicated audio room project.

T-

Not sure of the pics - (they have pics on their website) but they are very heavy - the magic power cord appears to be about 1/2" thick. The terminations (ya know - the plugs without the prongs...) themselves are about 3" long - very bulky. The digital ref power cord is thinner - but I believe it is designed that way...

Build quality? I would say nothing short of 'excellent'.

Flexibility? Well - they are manageable - but stiff.

I would like to hear others report when they get them - just to check my sanity!! :)

Long time ago, a buddy put some ps audio (I think) cords on my amp & pre (400 dollar cords) - and the Signal cable cords stand up quite well with those....
Frank's Power Cords (specifically the Magic) are based on the PS Audio Lab II cords as his comparison or build perspective. I found the cords pretty much the same. So do you want to spend $60 or do you want to spend $400?? For $60 for 3ft. they are worth a try, and Signal Cable will take them back if you do not like them.

Frank's Power Cords (specifically the Magic) are based on the PS Audio Lab II cords as his comparison or build perspective. I found the cords pretty much the same. So do you want to spend $60 or do you want to spend $400?? For $60 for 3ft. they are worth a try, and Signal Cable will take them back if you do not like them.

Oh - I'll pay 400... for the prestige!!! :)

Signal Cable reccomends 50 hours of burn in for their cables.

Excellent company with great products and fantastic customer support IMO.

thanks halo..... I agree - they do great work....

Back