Vantage - a few questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axel

Reaction score
Hi all !

I'm a newbie here, and am on the verge of taking the plunge on the ML Vantage.
But before I do, I have a few questions:
1) Will my Rogue Tempest II integrated be able to handle the Vantage - should I be worried ?

2) When I auditioned the Vantage for the first time at the local dealer, it was connected to a CJ pre and a McCormack power. Sometimes the highs had a so called ringing effect from time to time - is this a known phenomenon ?

Axel said:
Hi all !

1) Will my Rogue Tempest II integrated be able to handle the Vantage - should I be worried ?

2) When I auditioned the Vantage for the first time at the local dealer, it was connected to a CJ pre and a McCormack power. Sometimes the highs had a so called ringing effect from time to time - is this a known phenomenon ?

Hola Axel and welcome to the club. Well, I think that you will not have any problem with your Rogue Tempest II driving the Vantage. The high sensitivity of the Vantage allow you and us to have the benefit that might can use most good power amps on the market place today.
One thing that I don´t agreed with your comment is that an electrostatic speaker rings. The tweeter, due to the small size and the shape of it, might rings, even dome or cone. Because of the big surface of an electrostatic panel, and because of the light mass of the diaphragm, that weights less than the air that it moves, will move as fast as the electrical signal is received, and will stop "moving" as fast as there is no signal applied. The tweeter has inertia and won´t stop "moving" as fast as the panel, causing sometimes this ringing problmem, when signal is not present. It is very easy to listen this problem playing a piano. I really wonder why you heard that, but the lack of ringing in the elesctrostatic speakers in one spec that we, all electrostatic users, loves. I´m not saying that you did not hear a problem that might be there, what I´m saying that they don´t ring. Could be a resonance problem of the room at particular frequency range or also could be many reasons why you heard that. Try the amp at your room with the Vantage and let us know how it went. You will listen that they really don´t ring. Happy listening,
Roberto.

I recently purchase the vantages as well along with the stage, tickets, and descent. I can't wait to get them in the house. Should be in next week. I went with the Anthem AVM-50 pre/pro and Anthem A-5 amp. I will be using the set up mostly for HT.
Did I go with the right equipment to run the three fronts and surround?

Axel said:
Hi all !

It would be best if you take your Rogue Tempest II and audition them with the speakers - then you will know for sure. Better still would be auditioning the Vantages in your home with your amp.

The better your amp, the better they will sound - period. Almost anything can power those highly sensitive stat panels, but you need something robust that can provide high current and keep up with the voltage swings to help get the panels to an even higher performance plane.

As Amey said, it's best if you bring your amp over to the store to audition. And remember, positioning is KEY so make sure you play with the toe-in.

Joey

Axel said:
Hi all !

Hi Axel. The Vantage and the Summit are both VERY revealing. Any 'ringing' or other noise may very well be sourced from other components. Now I have heard of some tube amplifiers 'ringing'. Other forum members may know more about this. I understand this phenomena is the result of high spl's in a smaller room causing the actual tubes to resonate.

I could be wrong, of course, but this is highly unlikely. ;)

In relation to driving the Vantage, I drove mine (which I later upgraded to the Summit) with a 50 watt per channel Atoll Electronique IN50 s/s integrated. I was told it wouldn't work. Guess what? It did, and worked very well up to a point. While the Vantage is fairly sensitive, and sounds good with lower powered amps, you can light a wick under the things when you feed them more juice.

Thanks a lot you guys !
I'll take my Rogue to the dealer this weekend to preview what I'll hear at home.
If everything goes well, and I will not be disappointed - the next phase will be bringing them home before the final decision.

I'll keep you guys updated.

P.S.
The ringing effect that I've heard may very well be a room acoustics problem revealed. I'll have to wait and see if changing the amp reduces/increases this ringing effect, and will it be audible in my listening room at home.

Back