Used Spire, Vantage, or new - Magnepan 1.7 - what should I buy?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just being a ML fanboy. i suppose thats wrong on the MLOC site?

Nothing wrong with being an ML fanboy on this site. Except that it seemed the O.P. was looking for honest, informed opinions rather than off-hand fanboy comments. But to each his own, I suppose.

nothing better to complain about?

How exactly is it complaining to point out the inaccuracy (and irony) in your statement?

Personally, I like both, but they are very different speakers
Jeff,
Would you please describe what you hear are the difference between the Spire and the Magnepan 1.7 speakers?
Thanks,
Jim

i guess trolling was more acurate than complaining, but considering others make less than serious comments (ie; monty python ect) all the time with no rude comments from you, and then i say a pro ML comment thats less than clinical(or even serious) and you are quick to muster a passive agressive insult toward me...well do you have a problem with me personally? cant you show a little class given the last times results and just shut up? i certainly have tried to stay away from anything your involved in for just that reason. is it just me you are trolling or do you not like any lower tear ML speakers in general because they are low budget? or is all this some kind of poor attemp at stroking your ego? or is it over compensation of personal short comings?

what positive did you contribute to the thread by making your comment to me, rich. show a little class rich and leave it alone.

you are quick to muster a passive agressive insult toward me...well do you have a problem with me personally?

My comment was not rude, nor passive-aggressive, nor a personal insult. I simply pointed out the irony of someone using an ML with an ATF driver saying that Maggies are ML wannabes. If you don't get the irony in your own remarks, I'm sorry. I also pointed out that Maggies have been around about a decade longer than ML's.

I have no problem with you Jimna. I had a problem with your comment and that is what I addressed. Why you have to take any criticism of any comment you make as a personal assault on your character is beyond me. Just because someone disagrees with what you say, that doesn't make them a troll.

Jeff,
Would you please describe what you hear are the difference between the Spire and the Magnepan 1.7 speakers?
Thanks,
Jim

The biggest diff between the Magnepans and the ML's featuring woofers is the texture of the mid bass. My impression has always been that the ML's have more punch thanks to the cone, and while the cone/panel integration is the best I've heard, when you hear a Magnepan, you can hear more coherence in lower mids/upper bass.

However, the ML's always have the edge to me with everything from 500hz on up because again there is no crossover in the ML, while the Magnepan is either a 2 or 3 way design, depending on the model you choose.

Also, the Magnepans have more of a diffuse sound to me where the ML's seem to do a bit better job at pinpoint imaging and perhaps extremely low level detail. Though since I've had my 1.6's modded by the Skiing Ninja with upgraded crossover components, the low level detail has improved dramatically.

They are both excellent in a "would you prefer a Mercedes E500 or a BMW 545i" kind of thing, but they are different.

Magnepan owners feel free to jump in and tell me if you hear what I'm hearing...

I'm getting really curious about these Maggies...

Gotta hear a pair... somehow. Probably mean some driving...

Last edited:
Doubt they will sound as good as those Apogees, but curious to what you think about them compared to your speakers.

Makes me wish I would have kept my Apogees. Can't keep em all.

Hello,
User211, I really think it would be worthwhile to listen to 3.6's as they really are special. They are gigantic compared to current Martin Logans.

Rich, I totally see where you are coming from in regards to the ATF non Electrostatic Martin Logans being closer in design to Maggies than they are to traditional Martin Logan Electrostatic based Speakers.

The ATF HF Driver in the Montage, Mosaic, and Preface is a Quasi Ribbon far more similar to what is in the Maggie 1.6, etc... Moreover, to some, the ATF ML Designs are considered Martin Logan wannabe's.

Again, the true Ribbon with planar magnetic design in the 3.6 and 20.1 are simply amazing.
Cheers,
JJ

Doubt they will sound as good as those Apogees, but curious to what you think about them compared to your speakers.

Makes me wish I would have kept my Apogees. Can't keep em all.

I'm complelely amazed by them. But I think I'm starting to accept the 211s may not be the best amps for them, so I'm trying to find a few people to come round with some genuinely high powered SS amps to see.

So far I have an offer of some Rowland 301s... but it's a 200+ mile trip for someone who has a bad back. And they weigh 80Lbs a piece. We're trying to find someone who can give him a hand.

Mind you - Rowland 301s can dump 90 amps, and I'm not quite sure they need that much:)

Also, some 400 Watt Lyngdorf's seem like a definate. But I can't say I've liked those in the past. Prepared to give them a try, though. Never know until you do.

So I guess I'm playing "beat the 211 monos".:D

Actually, the SS amps you might really enjoy, seeing you are used to the SET thing, which has its own unique magic would be a pair of the Pass Aleph monoblocks. Single ended class A solid state. Very unique and very UN-solid state sounding, but a lot more current drive than your 811's are capable of.

If there is any way you can audition a pair of these, I would suggest it. I think this might be your cup of tea...

All the midrange magic of an SET with the grunt of a SS amp.

When you can find them here in the US they are only about $3k for a pair.

Aleph 1 Owner's Manual

Interesting when Nelson starts talking about air being single ended:)

Good suggestion, like the thinking, but 1 hour warm up? Also, they cook themselves, so old second hand ones may need some money spending on them.

Not ruled out by any means.

I'm complelely amazed by them. But I think I'm starting to accept the 211s may not be the best amps for them, so I'm trying to find a few people to come round with some genuinely high powered SS amps to see.

So far I have an offer of some Rowland 301s... but it's a 200+ mile trip for someone who has a bad back. And they weigh 80Lbs a piece. We're trying to find someone who can give him a hand.

Geez Justin, I would think you would at least give him a car or a truck, instead of just a hand, no wonder he has a bad back. Maybe at least give him a dolley, 160 pounds is pretty heavy to lug around.

Amps, he says he wants SS amps. Well, I might suggest a McCormack DNA 500 or one of the Simaudio various models of amps if you get the chance.:D

Geez Justin, I would think you would at least give him a car or a truck, instead of just a hand, no wonder he has a bad back. Maybe at least give him a dolley, 160 pounds is pretty heavy to lug around.

Amps, he says he wants SS amps. Well, I might suggest a McCormack DNA 500 or one of the Simaudio various models of amps if you get the chance.:D

Nah - he just says he's not sure the 211s are the best for the Aps. Well, I've just done a good 2 hours with an SS amp, and I think I want my 211s plugged back in. In fact, it's gonna happen right now:)

McCormack and Simaudio don't figure big here. Not saying it is unavailable, though.

Hey, we're ruining this thread... back on topic, please:)

I got a chance to demo the new Magnepan 1.7 and IMHO they sound great - way beyond their retail price of $2050.00. I couldn't resist at this price - so I purchased a pair. I won't sell my ML Vantages as I have two rooms set up for music. When I receive them I will give a more detailed opinion.
Jim

Back